What's new

RT-AC5300 - Solved a problem accessing web interface, but I don't know what the root cause was. (Never happened before.)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pcb

Occasional Visitor
NETWORK TOPOLOGY AND HISTORY
I have a long and complex history with ASUS routers, but I will keep this as concise as possible: I have an RT-AC5300 set up as my wifi router, and two RT-AC86U devices serving as Media Bridges (there are Ethernet devices on all three floors of my home). For almost a year I had been running AiMesh until very recently. It was great when it worked, but was very unstable. I had to reboot the main router about once a week to fix internet access problems on the AiMesh nodes.

PROBLEM SUMMARY
So yesterday I performed a hard reset on all three devices and set them up in the 1 router + 2 media bridge mode and everything was fine in terms of internet connectivity and performance (in fact, download speeds are literally 6 times better than when in AiMesh mode), but there was one significant problem: After several minutes online I could no longer access the AC5300's web interface.

No matter which computer or browser I used, whether connected wirelessly or via Ethernet, shortly after the initial configuration I was unable to access the web interface at 192.168.1.1. I knew that was the correct IP address (it is the ASUS default anyway, but also, PC clients showed 192.168.1.1 was the gateway address, with the default submask). NOTE: The web interface DID work for a few minutes. It was long enough for me to enable the Traffic Analyzer feature and begin correcting some client names in the Netork Map page's client list. But suddenly I was no longer able to access the page, and 192.168.1.1 failed to load on any other device. At first I thought it was the issue of one device already being logged in to the admin page, because I did access it from a couple different computers- but even after rebooting the router and the computers in question it still didn't work.

RESOLUTION
On a hunch that it was an address resolution problem, I disconnected the WAN connection to the AC5300 and what do you know- suddenly I can load 192.168.1.1 from my client devices and access the web interface. I went to Advanced Settings > LAN and changed the IP Address setting to 192.168.10.1 and rebooted the router. Clients still have fast internet access and now I can access the router's web interface while connected to the WAN. Problem solved! But...

QUESTION
What the heck happened?
192.168.1.1 isn't a valid IP address outside of a LAN. Why would my clients have trouble resolving that address while connected to the WAN? None of the devices in my home/network have static IPs, and even if they did- they definitely wouldn't be set to 192.168.1.1. (In fact, when I reset the two AC86U routers to factory, their default IP address was 192.168.50.1 until configured as media bridges- which surprised me.) Is a rogue 192.168.1.1 device somewhere between my home and the internet the only possibility? (For what it's worth, I cannot currently ping or browse to 192.168.1.1, so even after resolving the apparent "conflict" I can't find the phantom other device at that address.)

One note in case this matters: Other than the default admin password and the required connectivity/security settings, the only other setting I had changed before the problem occurred was the WAN DNS Setting options. (Specified the OpenDNS server addresses.) I don't see how this could cause the above behavior since DNS isn't used/required when accessing resources by IP address, but it is the only non-essential setting change I made.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!