What's new

RT-AC56U keeps disconnecting wireless clients

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dekaru

New Around Here
Hi guys, I hope I'm posting this in the right spot. I bought an AC56U a few days ago, and it's been giving me headaches ever since. I'm not exactly a noob, though I can't say I'm a pro either. Still, this is like my tenth router and I've never had these issues before.

The problem is simple. Every now and then two phones and a tablet disconnect themselves from the router, then immediately reconnect. This has happened as follows: around every 2 minutes or so for a OnePlus One; around every 10 minutes or so for a Nexus 9; and around every 30 minutes or so for an LG G2.

Then I turned the DTIM interval setting from 3 (default) to 1, not because I claim to know what that does, but because I remembered that on every previous router I had the default for that was 1.

This has helped somewhat, but the problems still remain. Now the OnePlus One disconnects about every 10 minutes, and the other two devices around every hour or so.

Besides the fact that it's driving me crazy, this has resulted in a severe drop in battery life for all three devices. They're all connected to the router's 5 GHz network, and they're all linked at AC speeds. This happens even when I'm 3ft from the router, in the same room, and doesn't appear to have anything to do with range - it happens even when the signal is "full".

Oddly, my laptop - an HP Chromebook 14 - does not seem to be affected. I haven't caught it disconnecting like this once. And these are all the devices connected to the router's 5 GHz SSID.

Any ideas? I started off using Asuswrt, then switched to Merlin, but the same problems occur. Like I said, I've had plenty of routers before - Asus and TP-Link mostly, and have never seen such behavior. Is this just a bad router? Or is there a setting somewhere that I'm missing? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi guys, I hope I'm posting this in the right spot. I bought an AC56U a few days ago, and it's been giving me headaches ever since. I'm not exactly a noob, though I can't say I'm a pro either. Still, this is like my tenth router and I've never had these issues before.

The problem is simple. Every now and then two phones and a tablet disconnect themselves from the router, then immediately reconnect. This has happened as follows: around every 2 minutes or so for a OnePlus One; around every 10 minutes or so for a Nexus 9; and around every 30 minutes or so for an LG G2.

Then I turned the DTIM interval setting from 3 (default) to 1, not because I claim to know what that does, but because I remembered that on every previous router I had the default for that was 1.

This has helped somewhat, but the problems still remain. Now the OnePlus One disconnects about every 10 minutes, and the other two devices around every hour or so.

Besides the fact that it's driving me crazy, this has resulted in a severe drop in battery life for all three devices. They're all connected to the router's 5 GHz network, and they're all linked at AC speeds. This happens even when I'm 3ft from the router, in the same room, and doesn't appear to have anything to do with range - it happens even when the signal is "full".

Oddly, my laptop - an HP Chromebook 14 - does not seem to be affected. I haven't caught it disconnecting like this once. And these are all the devices connected to the router's 5 GHz SSID.

Any ideas? I started off using Asuswrt, then switched to Merlin, but the same problems occur. Like I said, I've had plenty of routers before - Asus and TP-Link mostly, and have never seen such behavior. Is this just a bad router? Or is there a setting somewhere that I'm missing? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Did I miss something ? I don't see what is the firmware/version. Please provide. Thanks.

Merlin 376.49_5 right now. Before I was using the latest from Asus.
Thanks.
Quite strange because the ac56u is a very good device. Please note that the problem could come from an external (to the router) reason.

Someone else may have a better approach, but if it I had this problem I would first set all wireless seting on Auto and connect all device on the 2.4GHz and see if there is a change. Just as a start... Please report back.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!