What's new

RT-AC68U Wi-Fi Connection Keeps Dropping Out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JCW3

Occasional Visitor
Running AC68U with only 2.4 GHz radio on. Previously our computers and printer could remain connected to this router indefinitely. Now, although there's no problem connecting with a laptop, the connection becomes useless (radio on; still secured; no Internet) after only a few minutes. A working connection is easily re-established by disconnecting/reconnecting the wireless on computer, but this becomes frustrating very quickly.

Same behaviour on two different Windows 10 computers. No changes have been made recently to settings or firmware, but of course both computers have had automatic updates.

Only one deviation from recommended settings is that we have to run router as Wireless Mode = Legacy because the printer is not mode N.

Grateful for any suggestions to troubleshoot and/or fix! -- JCW3

Update: Rebooting router does not help. -- JCW3
You may also want to try rebooting your modem... sounds like while the router is working and providing connectivity, it's not able to get out to the internet. See anything weird in your syslogs when this happens?

Random dropouts - first thing to consider is the power supply...
Can that really explain the observations, given that I'm sitting right in front of the router with my computer on a wire connection, and I never notice it restart or lose my wired connection? Is wireless that much more sensitive that it could "drop out" without affecting the rest of the router?

I didn't mention that I have another, identical router in the same room that supports a lower-security LAN, and it's wireless never drops out. Both are powered by the same UPS. Of course they have their own, separate "wall warts." If your hypothesis still makes sense, I could swap wall warts and see if that makes any difference...

Regards -- JCW3

You may also want to try rebooting your modem... sounds like while the router is working and providing connectivity, it's not able to get out to the internet. See anything weird in your syslogs when this happens?
As I mentioned in the OP, I did try rebooting with no improvement.

I've never looked at the syslogs (computer or router?) -- I'm not really that computer savy -- but I'll see if I can find anything... -- JCW3

As I mentioned in the OP, I did try rebooting with no improvement.
I only saw mention of the router being rebooted... not the modem?

I've never looked at the syslogs (computer or router?)
On the router... especially around the timeframe when this happens.

I only saw mention of the router being rebooted... not the modem?

On the router... especially around the timeframe when this happens.
Thanks Again -- Will figure out how to check router syslogs over the weekend. Since the wireless (microwave) radio that passes for a modem here serves both routers, I'm not too worried about that. It has no reboot option, except perhaps on the roof, but I do power-cycle it whenever the whole Internet drops out, most recently last week. Back with more results over the weekend... -- JCW3

Can that really explain the observations, given that I'm sitting right in front of the router with my computer on a wire connection, and I never notice it restart or lose my wired connection? Is wireless that much more sensitive that it could "drop out" without affecting the rest of the router?

If nothing else has changed, and WiFi starts dropping out for no reason - the AC adapter may be dropping - they usually fail soft, but with Asus, I've seen this same issue here on the boards many times over, and replacing the power adapter usually solves the problem.

OK, here are results of your suggestions:

1) Switching the wall warts between the two routers makes no difference. The router in question is still dropping wireless connections; the other one is not.

2) Attached is the relevant part of the syslog from the router. It starts after the power was turned off to switch wall warts, so you see the restart (I guess). At the time my computer was connected via wired Ethernet, so it's MAC address doesn't show up. Next I connected wirelessly and disconnected the wired connection. It worked for a bit and then lost Internet. I disconnected and re-connected, and this cycle repeated at least three times before I saved the syslog.

I see many instances of the laptop's MAC address but no other MAC addresses. I don't know how to read the the cryptic notations, however. Can anyone tell me what's going on here?

Regards to all those who sent helpful suggestions! -- JCW3

Attachments

• WiFi Connection Dropping.txt
    4.1 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Apparently Merlin 386.11 firmware is compatible with my router. Anyone optimistic that flashing this would solve my (still un-diagnosed) problem? -- JCW

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!