What's new

RT-AC66U-B1 Difference between HW Ver: A1 and B1

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I received a response from ASUS. I had low expectations but this is even worse than anticipated.

"It's just two different Version of the same router with a slightly different firmware and one being produced before the other

Best Regards,
Andrea M.

My original question was "What is the difference between the

RT-AC66U-B1 HW Ver: A1 and
RT-AC66U-B1 HW Ver: B1

Production year 2016 for both."
I attached the two photos from my OP too. Wish ASUS would tell us the difference and stop mixing hardware, model numbers and firmware like this.

What is funny is that Andrea M was perfectly spot on. She is most definitely correct, it is two different hardware revisions (a.k.a Versions) of the exact same router, one revision version (A1) has AMD nand and was produced in the first half of 2016, and the other version (B1) has Zentel nand and was produced in the latter half of 2016 (both built in 2016). The nand change would ever so slightly change the firmware to compensate for it's inclusion. She stated exactly what she needed to state, nothing more nothing less...

The ONLY thing that would have made her response any better, would have been to state it just like I just did above, which chances are 99% of inquiries do not care about, and good chance she didn't even know.

Do you mean its a RT-AC66U-B2, or a RT-AC66U-B1 w/B2 hardware revision?

Still no mention of B2 on the wiki. Looking other places for any mention or info myself.

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/ASUS_RT-AC66U_B1

It's a RT-AC66U-B1 with B2 hardware revision. I ended up buying it and returning the B1 hardware revision I bought a few days ago ... not sure how accurate my speed tests really are but I'm able to get a good 10% extra throughput on my VPN connection with the B2 hardware revision.

Thanks,
Harry

I just bought an RT-AC66U-B1 w/B2 hardware revision.
Anyone know if i can flash the RT-AC68U_380.68_0 firmware ?

2zog5k7.png

Same cpu as HW Ver: A1 and B1.

Is there any other info that i can provide thru SSH ?

From System Log > General Log
CPU: ARMv7 Processor [413fc090] revision 0 (ARMv7), cr=10c53c7f

Found a AMD NAND flash:
Total size: 128MB
Block size: 128KB
Page Size: 2048B
OOB Size: 64B
Sector size: 512B
Spare size: 16B
ECC level: 8 (8-bit)

eth0: Broadcom BCM47XX 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet Controller 6.37.14.126 (r561982)
eth1: Broadcom BCM4360 802.11 Wireless Controller 6.37.14.126 (r561982)
eth2: Broadcom BCM4360 802.11 Wireless Controller 6.37.14.126 (r561982)
open

Last edited:
Should be compatible.

Besides the front placement of the USB 3.0 port, and non-detachable antennas, what are the differences between the RT-AC66U_B1 and the latest (2016/2017) RT-AC68U?

Besides the front placement of the USB 3.0 port, and non-detachable antennas, what are the differences between the RT-AC66U_B1 and the latest (2016/2017) RT-AC68U?

The physical design is horizontal instead of vertical, and similar to the original RT-N66U/RT-AC66U. They also removed the extra buttons that allows you to toggle LEDs or Wifi.

Internally, it should be nearly identical. Same BCM4709C0 CPU, no idea about the power amps.

The physical design is horizontal instead of vertical, and similar to the original RT-N66U/RT-AC66U. They also removed the extra buttons that allows you to toggle LEDs or Wifi. Internally, it should be nearly identical. Same BCM4709C0 CPU, no idea about the power amps.

Thank you. I have the RT-N66U running your (great!) firmware. The RT-N66U at least provides a stand to mount the router vertically. This seems to be missing from the RT-AC66U_B1 based on unboxing videos. I guess with a front USB port vertical mounting is out of the question and that's why this is a horizontal unit only.

Last edited:
Thank you. I have the RT-N66U running your (great!) firmware. The RT-N66U at least provides a stand to mount the router vertically. This seems to be missing from the RT-AC66U_B1 based on unboxing videos.
The RT-N66U is great router, but 802.11n only.
The RT-AC66U-B1 is a totally different router which support 802.11ac and is the horizontal equivalent of the vertical RT-AC68U.
The older RT-AC66U (without B1) was an early 802.11ac router with relative slow CPU and less memory.

Excuse me: I have RT-AC66W, but no way to understand if "B1" variant is the case...
Could you help me?

Code:
> cat /proc/cpuinfo

system type             : Broadcom BCM5300 chip rev 1
processor               : 0
cpu model               : MIPS 74K V4.9
BogoMIPS                : 299.82
wait instruction        : no
microsecond timers      : yes
tlb_entries             : 64
extra interrupt vector  : no
hardware watchpoint     : yes
ASEs implemented        : mips16 dsp
shadow register sets    : 1
VCED exceptions         : not available
VCEI exceptions         : not available

unaligned_instructions  : 230941
dcache hits             : 2147483648
dcache misses           : 0
icache hits             : 2147483648
icache misses           : 0
instructions            : 2147483648

Excuse me: I have RT-AC66W, but no way to understand if "B1" variant is the case...
You have the old, original RT-AC66W (which is the same as the original RT-AC66U) with a MIPS processor. This thread is about the newer, completely different, RT-AC66U_B1 that has an ARM processor.

Asus couldn't have made it any more confusing by reusing the model number of an older router for a brand new one.:rolleyes:

Just thought I'd drop by and share good news re latest RT-AC66U-B1 model, hardware revision B2: the 384.8 branch of Merlin works fine, as does the 380 branch. This was purchased from Amazon in early December 2018.

I'm using this router with a vintage ZyXEL P660R-D1 in PPPoE VC-mux bridge mode with the Asus handling the PPPoE authentication to the ISP. I have my router set up on 192.168.2.0/24 range and the modem's left on 192.168.1.1 - the ZyXEL's only got one ethernet port but still has inbuilt DHCP and NAT capabilities like a larger router; it was designed primarily to be connected to a single computer but people began to use them quite creatively. It's still a very stable, compact and configurable ADSL2+ modem if you're still stuck with no VDSL/cable/fibre.

Sidenote: the P660R-D1 can also do a more unusual 'half bridge' mode, where it performs PPPoA authentication but passes the WAN IP to the connected device (computer, router etc) via DHCP. This is great if you have a Tomato/DD-WRT router which can accept a DHCP IP in a different range from its 'own' range. However, a Netgear running OEM firmware was incapable of receiving the WAN IP assigned by the ISP, while my old Linksys WRT54GL running Tomato worked OK. I suspect the Asus running Merlin will also be able to handle the P660R's half-bridge WAN ISP IP getting assigned to the router's WAN interface via DHCP but I've not yet tested this.

I can still connect to the P660R modem via its web GUI on its own IP (in the 192.16.1.o/24 range) by following @john9527's steps to add a second IP to the router's WAN interface which persists through reboots. Fancier iptables work could NAT it through an IP in the same range but I see no reason not to keep the subnets separate given all WAN traffic routes over the PPP tunnel anyway.

I did as others have done and flashed the RT-AC68U firmware, worked fine. I accidentally (!) installed 380 first, before flashing to 384.8.

Merlin identifies the firmware as RT-AC66U_B1 on the web UI; I've since set it up to be an NTP client for my LAN and also added the FreshJR Adaptive QoS script to replace the default QoS rules. I'm monitoring its performance; aside from a suspected reduction of its ethernet ports to 100mbit/sec from 1gbit/sec (due to QoS being done in CPU) the router's performing stably so far, all features working great since I installed a few days ago.

If you use a downstream gigabit switch to connect the important devices on your LAN (e.g., NAS and desktop) any potential switch speed reduction caused by having QoS enabled is basically irrelevant. Admittedly I've not tested actual throughput on the switch as the only thing connected is my gig switch and all my kit hangs off that. Concensus online seems to be that unless you're running a fast fibre/cable internet connection (>120mbit/sec) the QoS CPU limitation on the WAN side won't concern you.

The box label identifies this as
Model: RT-AC66U-B1
H/W Ver: B2
F/W Ver: 3.0.0.4.384
90IG0300-BU2000, Made in China, MFG Year 2018.

Its MAC is in the D0-17-C2 range and its serial number is in the JAIUHC00 range. One USB3 on the front, two USB2 on the back.

Code:
cat /proc/cpuinfo

Processor       : ARMv7 Processor rev 0 (v7l)
processor       : 0
BogoMIPS        : 1998.84

processor       : 1
BogoMIPS        : 1998.84

Features        : swp half thumb fastmult edsp
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant     : 0x3
CPU part        : 0xc09
CPU revision    : 0

Hardware        : Northstar Prototype
Revision        : 0000
Serial          : 0000000000000000

According to web GUI,
Temps: 2.4 GHz: 46°C - 5 GHz: 51°C - CPU: 60°C
CPU Model ARMv7 Processor rev 0 (v7l) - Rev. c0 (Cores: 2)
CPU Frequency 1000 MHz

From System Log > General:
eth0: Broadcom BCM47XX 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet Controller 6.37.14.126 (r561982)
eth1: Broadcom BCM4360 802.11 Wireless Controller 6.37.14.126 (r561982)
eth2: Broadcom BCM4360 802.11 Wireless Controller 6.37.14.126 (r561982)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!