What's new

RT-AC66U Unstable WAN Connection & Wireless Client Problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

clx

New Around Here
Hi - I just got a RT-AC66U and loaded with the later Merlin firmware. For some reason the WAN connection is very unstable - doing a continuous ping of google.com resulted in timeout every 1 ~ 2 minutes. Swapped out another router (R6300) and it's rock solid without any timeout on continuous ping.

From all the reviews, RT-AC66U seems to performs very well, but from my experience it doesn't look like it's stable at all. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated!

Last edited:
I'm already running the latest Merlin firmware. The connection drop out happens 25% of the time, make the internet really unstable even for just browsing. 2~3 pings will drop for every 10 pings I've sent. I've tried connecting the cable modem directly to the computer, and the ping doesn't time out. Does anybody have this problem?

I've quite a similar problem. My RT-AC66U drops all internal connections (2,4GHz and 5GHz WiFi as well as wired LAN). This happens about every 10 minutes. The router seems to make a reset on all interfaces, because every time the connections were dropped I can see all LED's flashing once.

Yesterday evening I have switched off 5GHz for testing. Up to now all connections have been stable. Looks al little bit like a thermal problem? When the 5GHz radio is on, the sysinfo reports a temperature of 60°C (140°F).

Does any one else has problems like this? It seems to be contradicting with what other people are saying about this router. It looks like a very unstable router that doesn't work 100% of the time.

I'm in the same boat, here is what I've reported on another thread:

"I'm beginning to think there is a bad batch of AC66us out there. I have a similar problem to you. The router starts slwoing down, sometimes, wired connections are OK, wifi grinds out, even access to the config pages, which is snappy as hell initially, tkaes longer and longer.

I've done all that has been discussed on the pages here, antivris, Nod32 etc, nothing seems to fix it.

I would've blamed the firmware, except, reports like mine are few and far between, AND I've gone thru Stock Asus, Merlin, DD-WRT and Tomato - all start great and then start crapping out.

I'm not really too bothered about AC performance, thinking of getting a v1 linksys E4200 - hope its man enough for a 20mpbs cable internet connection."

what type of internet connection do you all have?

what type of internet connection do you all have?

Mine is a cable broadband connection, claimed 20 mbps.

I went through the router settings today and disabled/un-automitcated everything I don't need/can set a manual value for (Channel 1/161 instead of automatic, 20 and 80 MHz for bandwidth, N+AC for 5GHz radio, disabled WPS, disabled Wireless Scheduler, disable Jumbo frame and STP, not sure what HW Accelerator does, so left it enabled, Disabled ALL NAT-WAN Passthroughs exceplt PPTP and SIP(I have a secondary router which does PPTP VPN, not sure if the PPTP Passthrough is required to be enabled for it to work, so I just left it enabled)

Have left IPv6 firelwall enabled... not sure if it can be disabled safely. Disabled Telnet/SSH - can always enable if required.

With all of that, the router has been lightening fast for the last 3 hours... lets see if it holds.

Riz

may as well disable the hw accelerator, it's main purpose is to get massively higher NAT throughput. i've not noticed any difference in latency with it on or off nor my overall bandwidth because my connection doesn't come close to needing it. also, it needs to be/gets disabled when you use QoS. basically, hw accelerator works by inspecting less of the packets it's forwarding to achieve higher throughput. great if you're on like fiber, but you should be able to get max performance with it off up to like 70mbit.

put a usb powered laptop cooler below the unit and plug it into the usb port. could be a heat issue. otherwise, yeah try merlin