What's new

RT-AC68U -3.0.0.4.374.291 available!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I am anxiously waiting to purchase the 68U but all these issues AND the fact that no one has any stock left has me holding my powder. There must be a reason Asus has not re-stocked their suppliers. It may just be a cautious decision until the software bugs are worked out, but I now have my suspicions. I really don't want another Netgear.

Asus has always had supply issues whenever releasing a new popular router. It took months for the RT-N66U to become widely available for instance - some places had it in stock as early as in December 2011, but many places only got them in March. Took until April for Canadian retailers to have any in stock.

So, not necessarily because they are worried about quality, mostly more a supply issue.

It is weird that after a couple days of selling them that Newegg now lists it as a "pre-order" for 11/11/13 arrival and Amazon lists it as out of stock (only some 3rd party reseller on Amazon actually has them and he's trying to get $279..good luck!).

Ac68u is not available everywhere in the world, and there is no release date in China and other Asian countries, so you could see the short of supply when other countries are going to release the new router.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I first ordered the AC68U from Amazon.com on the 10:th of october. I got it from my swedish retailer on the 26:th of october. As I read about problems to get the unit up and running I was happy to get it from a swedish store.
The router came with f/w 3.0.0.4.374_205 installed - tried to set it up initally with hard-wired connection - hanged in the set-up. Then tried to upgrade the f/w to 3.0.0.4.375_291 also with a hard-wired connection and the router in emergency mode. After a long series of trials I could finally set up the routers inital settings and have it up just to see how it works. I wonder if my next consuming thing will be to upgrade to Merlins f/w Quicksilver.
Really Asus - I expect a little better of you when you release a new and expansive unit .........
Now I am going to install a Linksys EA6900 and see how they compare in
the installation and to get the units up and running.

Ac68u is not available everywhere in the world, and there is no release date in China and other Asian countries, so you could see the short of supply when other countries are going to release the new router.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The first release of DD-WRT ran perfectly on this router for a week.

I reverted to stock only to try Merlin's upcoming firmware based on 291.

My 2.4 speeds degrade while 5ghz stay perfect on 205 & 291 fw.
Not sure what the issue is at this time.

Maybe upcoming 306 would help?

Code:
ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.374.306
Added
1. Added import CA file and manual edit option in OpenVPN client
2. Added option for tls-auth in OpenVPN server

Fixed
1. Fixed OpenVPN server *.ovpn file exporting issue while changed the protocol to TCP.
2. Fixed PPTP VPN client related issues.
3. Applied memory leak patch in media server. Special thanks for Paulo C. contribution. 
[B]4. Improved the 2.4GHz wireless throughput.[/B]
5. Improved the samba throughput while IPv6 enabled.

Really Asus - I expect a little better of you when you release a new and expansive unit .........

I understand where you are coming from in terms of wanting to get your dollar/kroner :) worth, everyone is entitled to that.

At the same time, it would go against over a century of "modern industrialization" and decades of consumer electronics development for the universe to fold in on its self and suddenly the bleeding edge of tech and the role of the early adopter existed in some kind of worm hole where they were on they stable, consistent end of the spectrum.

I do not live in a worm hole. ;)

Last edited:

So you're speculating with the "you could see..." statements or are you trying to bring more info to the table? Not that I'm trying to buy one, but I was just echoing some specifics that although they were in stock earlier with some major e-tailers but that there is limited to no US availability now. I don't want to speculate out of thin air why that is or when they'll be coming to any particular place on the globe, I have no special info on that.

Last edited:
I had to pay $ 312 for this top of line equipment so I would surely like to
have the price and the unit really working not just ripping the money from my wallet. I hope that Asus understand the problems with high prize compared with wgat you get in terms of having to spend a lot of time to even get the unit up basicly..........f

I understand where you are coming from in terms of wanting to get your dollar/kroner :) worth, everyone is entitled to that.

At the same time, it would go against over a century of "modern industrialization" and decades of consumer electronics development for the universe to fold in on its self and suddenly the bleeding edge of tech and the role of the early adopter existed in some kind of worm hole where they were on they stable, consistent end of the spectrum.

I do not live in a worm hole. ;)

I had to pay $ 312 for this top of line equipment so I would surely like to
have the price and the unit really working not just ripping the money from my wallet.

Who made you pay the money and made you get a model with lots of nascent technology based on a (still) draft 802.11ac spec?? That's the person you should talk to.

Only you can rip money from your own wallet, no one makes you do it. This isn't a lord of the flies situation where the newest, most expensive hardware wins by default.

You want to know what consumer electronics products will be coming out in a given year and will be flaky and unreliable? There's a trade show every January called CES where they trot them out.

Consumer stuff is styled, advertised, and packaged in a way to compel you to buy it, not because it will make your life better and run better than whatever else exists.

Price is a function of scarcity and demand, not quality.

How is this router working now?

And how fast speeds do you think are possible using the PPTP client or the OpenVPN client?

Im thinking about getting one since it has VPN client built in.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!