What's new

RT-AC68U AiMesh Guest WiFi Clients Have No Internet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mocamaster

Occasional Visitor
Hi everyone, I am hoping you smart folks can help me determine what I am doing wrong.

I have 3 RT-AC68U routers. One functions as the main router and the other two function as AiMesh Nodes. The nodes are connected via Ethernet Backhaul through a MOCA connection. Everything works amazingly well except for the Guest WiFi on all three RT-AC68U.

Problem: Guest clients can connect fine to any of the the Guest WiFi 2.4/5GHz SSIDs however they are not able to get out to the internet. I can see the clients connected to Guest SSIDs on the Asus Admin Web GUI. The only way the Guest clients can reach the internet is if I enable "ACCESS INTRANET" on the Guest Network settings page. This defeats the purpose of a Guest network as I do not want random IOT devices to access my internal network.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks to fix this? All three RT-AC68U routers are running 3.0.0.4.386_49703 firmware. Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• Home Network.png
    Home Network.png
    89.9 KB · Views: 177
Disabling NAT Acceleration resolved my AiMesh Guest wifi Issue. Once NAT Acceleration was disabled, I made sure to disable ACCESS INTRANET on my Guest WiFi 2.4/5. When it came back online I could browse the web while connected to the AiMesh Node Guest WiFi. Thanks again @Prowler_gr

I have found that NAT acceleration causes the problem with the guest network not connecting with 'access intranet' disabled

Switching NAT Acceleration to "disable" under http://router.asus.com/Advanced_SwitchCtrl_Content.asp solved the problem at least for me

Upon further testing, I've realized that enabling NAT Acceleration significantly boosts my download speeds up to Gig levels. This contrasted with a maximum of 300 MBPS when NAT Acceleration was disabled. However, this leads me to a predicament - I'm caught between a rock and a hard place. If I enable NAT Acceleration for faster internet speeds, I end up with the persistent problem of my AiMesh Guest WiFi not having internet access when intranet access is disabled.

On several other threads, I've noticed discussions suggesting VLAN adjustments on managed switches as a potential fix. However, this doesn't apply to my environment since I don't have any managed switches in the network paths of the nodes or router. Moreover, if VLAN alterations could provide a solution, I'm puzzled as to why the main router's Guest WiFi would still encounter the no-internet-access issue. It leads me to believe that the problem isn't solely due to the nodes, but affects the main router as well.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to resolve this. Any insights or suggestions would be hugely appreciated. At this point, I'm seriously considering abandoning my Asus setup due to this conundrum. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Attachments

• NAT.png
    NAT.png
    65.5 KB · Views: 96
Your ISP speeds and your network usage has overshadowed the venerable, but old, RT-AC68U.

It isn't time to abandon Asus. But it is time to consider retiring that model you're still using well past its intended use.

Haven't setup and or used AiMesh in a good while so I don't remember how Guest WiFi works with it. That said; if using Guest WiFi, which one of the three Guest WiFi networks have you enabled for your Guest WiFi clients? If Guest #1, don't use that, use Guest #2 and or Guest #3 instead and see if the issue persists with the Guest WiFi clients. If I'm off base, disregard.

Worse case use a second cheap router and set it up as double nat to the main ac68u with its own wifi ssid, provided no vpn involved, as double nat router is having private address.

That said, double NAT is an excellent setup if you want a particular group of devices to be isolated from another group. It's better than using Guest Wi-Fi networks.

Last edited:
I'd like to provide a brief update on how I solved an issue with my guest Wi-Fi not connecting to the internet. Initially, the problematic configuration was as follows:
  • NAT Acceleration: Disabled
  • Guest Network 1 Access Intranet: Disabled
My initial workaround was to enable NAT Acceleration, which successfully provided my guest devices with internet access. However, this resulted in a limit to my internet speeds, approximately capped at around 300.

Based on suggestions from others, I found a solution that involved reconfiguring my guest Wi-Fi networks, specifically Guest 2 and Guest 5. I moved Guest 2 from the first column of the Guest Network settings page to the second column, and Guest 5 to the third column. This change enabled me to set NAT Acceleration to 'Auto'. Consequently, I was able to enjoy Gig download speeds again.

This configuration change allowed devices on my guest network to access the internet while remaining isolated from my primary internal network.
I hope this solution proves useful to others who may encounter similar issues. I spent quite some time figuring it out, so I'd like to thank everyone who offered their assistance!

Attachments

• asusrouterguest.png
    asusrouterguest.png
    192 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Haven't setup and or used AiMesh in a good while so I don't remember how Guest WiFi works with it. That said; if using Guest WiFi, which one of the three Guest WiFi networks have you enabled for your Guest WiFi clients? If Guest #1, don't use that, use Guest #2 and or Guest #3 instead and see if the issue persists with the Guest WiFi clients. If I'm off base, disregard.
This worked! Thank You!!!!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!