What's new

RT-AC68U - Gigabit speed - Help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

WizardingSomething

New Around Here
Hi all,

First time here. Struggling to get my AC68U to work at my new gigabit speeds from Xfinity (Comcast). I get maybe 350 wired and 250 wireless on 5ghz.
I just upgraded from an old DOCIS 2.0 Motorola Surfboard SBG6850 to a SB2000 and it's all been activated through my ISP.

My issue now is that I thought my older raspberry pi 2b (it was my pi hole and DNS ) and it didn't have gig Ethernet so I went into my router and basically defaulted the DNS so it's all handled by the 68U.

I'm running Merlin Firmware Version:386.3_2
I think Ive checked everything I know how to check and I cannot for the life of me get any higher speeds via wireless or wired.

I'm willing to share whatever is needed to help get me sorted and up to gig speed (900ish)

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums @WizardingSomething.

After flashing the RMerlin firmware on it, did you do a full reset? Without using a saved backup config file. And without 'blindly' using old settings, features, and options that worked 'once upon a time'?

Have you enabled hardware NAT?

screencapture-demoui-asus-Advanced-WAN-Content-asp-2021-11-10-14_06_52.png

Hi all,

First time here. Struggling to get my AC68U to work at my new gigabit speeds from Xfinity (Comcast). I get maybe 350 wired and 250 wireless on 5ghz.
I just upgraded from an old DOCIS 2.0 Motorola Surfboard SBG6850 to a SB2000 and it's all been activated through my ISP.

My issue now is that I thought my older raspberry pi 2b (it was my pi hole and DNS ) and it didn't have gig Ethernet so I went into my router and basically defaulted the DNS so it's all handled by the 68U.

I'm running Merlin Firmware Version:386.3_2
I think Ive checked everything I know how to check and I cannot for the life of me get any higher speeds via wireless or wired.

I'm willing to share whatever is needed to help get me sorted and up to gig speed (900ish)
A few basics to check:
  • Does the WAN port show 1 Gbps (Network Map > System Status > Status Tab)?
  • When you try the wired connection, does the applicable LAN port show 1 Gbps (Network Map > System Status > Status Tab)?
  • When you try the wireless connection, for speeds coming close to 1 Gbps at 5 GHZ (802.11ac) you need to utilize all 3 available data streams of the router (3x 433.3 Mbps = 1299.9 Mbps, in practice your final throughput will be half of that or slightly better), that requires a wireless client network adapter with 3 antenna's and no disturbance by neighbor equipment.
My maximum ISP speeds were 700 Mbps up and 700 Mbps down, with a wired client I could reach the maximum, my best wireless client was limited to 2 data streams and reached at best 600 Mbps up and down.
The main router is a RT-AC68U with stock firmware.
Some time ago I scaled down my ISP subscription to 100/100 which is sufficient for us.

Welcome to the forums @WizardingSomething.

After flashing the RMerlin firmware on it, did you do a full reset? Without using a saved backup config file. And without 'blindly' using old settings, features, and options that worked 'once upon a time'?
I probably did not. I flashed it and just left it when it started working. That could be part of it.

A few basics to check:
  • Does the WAN port show 1 Gbps (Network Map > System Status > Status Tab)?
  • When you try the wired connection, does the applicable LAN port show 1 Gbps (Network Map > System Status > Status Tab)?
  • When you try the wireless connection, for speeds coming close to 1 Gbps at 5 GHZ (802.11ac) you need to utilize all 3 available data streams of the router (3x 433.3 Mbps = 1299.9 Mbps, in practice your final throughput will be half of that or slightly better), that requires a wireless client network adapter with 3 antenna's and no disturbance by neighbor equipment.
My maximum ISP speeds were 700 Mbps up and 700 Mbps down, with a wired client I could reach the maximum, my best wireless client was limited to 2 data streams and reached at best 600 Mbps up and down.
The main router is a RT-AC68U with stock firmware.
Some time ago I scaled down my ISP subscription to 100/100 which is sufficient for us.
I mean from what I can tell, it's how it should be.
I can understand the wireless not being up to par, but the wired should be dang near the 1gig speeds.
I haven't been able to crest 300 Mbps on 5Ghz at any point since upgrading, or anywhere in the house.

Attachments

• WAN1gig.png
    WAN1gig.png
    5.2 KB · Views: 95
You may want to stop looking for answers that more than likely aren't going to help. The link below will.

I would also suggest you at least try the latest Alpha 1 for your model (was running stable for me since its August 11th release, before I updated to the Alpha 2 for my pair of RT-AX86U's).

Fully Reset / Best Practice Setup / More

You may want to stop looking for answers that more than likely aren't going to help. The link below will.

I would also suggest you at least try the latest Alpha 1 for your model (was running stable for me since its August 11th release, before I updated to the Alpha 2 for my pair of RT-AX86U's).

Fully Reset / Best Practice Setup / More
just flashed it now and no change, but i have yet to follow the best practices and stuff due to the fact that im working right now

Flash what ever firmware, then revert to factory defaults and ONLY configure your router Login / Password, wireless SSID's and wireless keys. Leave the rest default and try a wired connection (with WAN and LAN port showing 1 Gbps) first.

Flash what ever firmware, then revert to factory defaults and ONLY configure your router Login / Password, wireless SSID's and wireless keys. Leave the rest default and try a wired connection (with WAN and LAN port showing 1 Gbps) first.
here's the ethernet ports
1636566026454.png

Lan 2, I believe is my Phillips Hue hub

What is the firmware version you flashed?
Did you revert the router to factory defaults and ONLY configure your router Login / Password, wireless SSID's and wireless keys?
Did you try a speed test with only one computer wired attached to the router (and no wireless clients with activity)?

The amount of RAM in use is rather high, it tells me the router is quite busy or loaded, here is a screen dump of my RT-AC68U:
1636569454669.png

here's the ethernet ports
View attachment 37301
Lan 2, I believe is my Phillips Hue hub

What is the firmware version you flashed?
Did you revert the router to factory defaults and ONLY configure your router Login / Password, wireless SSID's and wireless keys?
Did you try a speed test with only one computer wired attached to the router (and no wireless clients with activity)?

The amount of RAM in use is rather high, it tells me the router is quite busy or loaded, here is a screen dump of my RT-AC68U:
View attachment 37304
running 386.4_alpha1-g8f4afe6890
I haven't yet; I'm doing what I can while still remaining online without doing anything drastic; as I'm work from home (as are most people i would guess)
27 clients are connected total, ram doesnt increase much; even when running a speedtest.
i turned off NAT and speed increased oddly
i should see about connecting directly to the modem to see if its truly this unit or not

1. After the firmware upgrade you did you MUST revert to factory defaults and configure the router as explained to get a clear idea about the router performance.
  2. With many more wired and wireless clients connected to the router and without knowing what data traffic these cause, you cannot test the Internet throughput from one of the wired or wireless clients to see if it comes close to 1 Gbps (maybe all that is left is the 300 Mbps as you have seen).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!