What's new

RT-AC68U hostname conflict

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi, apologies for resurrecting an old thread but I have this exact issue. The addiational problem for me is that I am using the DSL-AC68U, the DSL version of this router so my understanding is that I won't be able to resolve by using merlin firmware as others have.

Am I right about this and does anyone have any other ideas?

When I noticed the issue and then tried streaming on the TV (Netflix) it seemed to start ok but then the router seemed to disconnect everything and take a min or two to come back.

This may have been resolved already by Asus's own firmware updates, I only noticed the issue this morning and haven't yet tried setting up a DHCP lease for the TV yet, does anyone know if this now works?

Hi, apologies for resurrecting an old thread but I have this exact issue. The addiational problem for me is that I am using the DSL-AC68U, the DSL version of this router so my understanding is that I won't be able to resolve by using merlin firmware as others have.

When I noticed the issue and then tried streaming on the TV (Netflix) it seemed to start ok but then the router seemed to disconnect everything and take a min or two to come back.

This may have been resolved already by Asus's own firmware updates, I only noticed the issue this morning and haven't yet tried setting up a DHCP lease for the TV yet, does anyone know if this now works?

I had the same issue and setup a DHCP lease for the samsung tv and it seems to work. Fingers Crossed :)

rmoxom

I have an AC68U and got a new Samsung (40KU6400) about 2 weeks ago and was suffering random crashes of whole house internet when streaming via this TV that was only resolved by either a reboot of the router or the superhub (modem mode). I noticed that I also had this localhost message and found this thread. Tried assigning a manual IP on the router but still got localhost messages. Then edited the TV settings to match ie manual IP and manual DNS on the TV and this appears to have cured the localhost messages and hopefully the random crashes though time will tell (the message occurrence didn't always align to a full crash)
Am on stock ASUS firmware - so if you try this on your DSL version it may work for you

Assuming it keeps working this thread is a godsend - i wonder does the localhost issue only happen / impact Asus routers, if not this should be a widespread issue for Samsung TV's ?

Edit now streamed 4K Youtube for over half an hour with no crashes, and Samsung Smart Connect is also stable for over 25 minutes - bliss....

Tony

Last edited:
This issue has not been resolved by Samsung. My issue is minidlna will disconnect only on my two Samsung UN55Ju6300 model TVs. Dlna works fine on all other devices. I just set my TV as static IPs and also manually assigned the same IP on Asus AC87U. Running latest Merlin firmware and latest Samsung firmware. Fingers crossed will update tomorrow.

I am getting the same localhost message in system log.

i'm running 3.0.0.4.374.43_2-20E9j9527 merlin fork and seeing the same thing here.
i added the tv and named it in the lan/dhcp/ manual ip gave it a name other than localhost.
rebooted the router.

anything else i need to do here , my samsung tv was added a few weeks ago, and the wife complains about the wireless from time to time, seems to coincide with logs from the failed localhost from the ip of the tv.
thanks much for the time !!

Joel, n66

Js racer

In case it helps....it's not clear from your reply if you've changed both ends i.e. Static IP on the router and also changed the TV settings to be manual on the static address. I only did the router end first and the TV still broadcast as local host until it was also changed.

Js racer

In case it helps....it's not clear from your reply if you've changed both ends i.e. Static IP on the router and also changed the TV settings to be manual on the static address. I only did the router end first and the TV still broadcast as local host until it was also changed.

got ya, router only so far. so change the auto ip settings to manual on the TV?? , guessing the tv name in the tv has nothing to do with this
Thanks for the quick reply !!

Yes manual IP and DNS on TV as well then it stops broadcasting as local host. And yes TV name not related - ours was Kitchen TV before and after

shoot, still doing the same, fixed ip on tv, dns to router, rebooted router
not giving name localhost to the DHCP lease of ............................

tv is still named [tv] model or something i can try changing that too,

3.0.0.4.374.43_2-20E9j9527 fork firmware

Last edited:
Fast forward to 2017 and I'm glad for Google (or in my case, DuckDuckGo) and people who use Samsung and Asus routers.

My old router didn't have a problem with this. I guess Samsung people don't use Asus routers either.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!