What's new

RT-AC68U in Media Bridge Mode losing connection to main router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Then everything behind is down too ...
What do you want to know?
Thats more than clear to everyone!
Thought you have dozens of routers and repeaters in your config for your village, why do yut ask???

Last edited:
Ok so when you do use bridge you are experiencing the same drops as we mention correct? Here i thought you were using bridge with zero issues so it could have been a problem with something in our setups but it seems pretty much consistent throughout that bridge is not stable on the 68.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Is this "Bridge to Main router connectivity" issue still outstanding in the latest Official & Merlin FW's?

FWIW (and for anyone following this) I'm having a lot more luck since putting my ac86u in the dmz of our modem/router and running The 86u in router mode.

I have my son's PS4 hooked up to my 68u bridge for "testing" (perfect guinea pig). I seem to get less complaints and it does reconnect after a minute. However it does happen with newest Merlin on the 68. Just an hour ago in fact. YMMV

I just acquired a used RT-AC68P which came with Asus stock FW 3.0.0.4.380_7743. I upgraded to the latest Merlin build 384.9_0, and experienced a hard connection drop after ~12 hours which couldn't recover without a router reboot. So I downgraded back to the original FW for now, and am looking for recommendation of a newer, reliable FW version to try, preferably of Merlin branch but stock branch is fine too.

I just acquired a used RT-AC68P which came with Asus stock FW 3.0.0.4.380_7743. I upgraded to the latest Merlin build 384.9_0, and experienced a hard connection drop after ~12 hours which couldn't recover without a router reboot. So I downgraded back to the original FW for now, and am looking for recommendation of a newer, reliable FW version to try, preferably of Merlin branch but stock branch is fine too.

Used, so it could be troubled hardware.

What's a hard connection drop?

I would put current stock firmware on it, then reset it, configure it for basic use with a few clients, and see how it runs over time. If it misbehaves, perhaps try a different power adapter. Otherwise, maybe it's got a marginal hardware fault.

OE

Used, so it could be troubled hardware.

What's a hard connection drop?

I would put current stock firmware on it, then reset it, configure it for basic use with a few clients, and see how it runs over time. If it misbehaves, perhaps try a different power adapter. Otherwise, maybe it's got a marginal hardware fault.

OE
The problem I had is elaborated here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...-9-is-now-available.54843/page-18#post-465572

I had considered the possibility of hardware fault as well, and thus reverted back to the original stock FW 3.0.0.4.380_7743 and the problem has not recurred.

I have been testing a media bridge running between an AC1900P running Merlin's 384.9 and an old workhorse N66 running the last supported version of Merlin (though in the Media bridge configuration it shows as ASUS 380.70 ) and connecting using the 5 GHz radios (channel 149 ) with a link rate of 450 Mbps it has been rock solid and I get my full ISP speeds across the link.

Getting ready to give this rig to my son to see if I can eliminate some of his streaming issues to a TV and since he has no patience and his networking skills are minimal I need to be sure that the setup is rock solid and so far for two days it has been.

I have been testing a media bridge running between an AC1900P running Merlin's 384.9 and an old workhorse N66 running the last supported version of Merlin (though in the Media bridge configuration it shows as ASUS 380.70 ) and connecting using the 5 GHz radios (channel 149 ) with a link rate of 450 Mbps it has been rock solid and I get my full ISP speeds across the link.
Which of your two routers acts as the Media Bridge?

Last edited:
Which of your two routers acts as the Media Bridge?
The N66 is being fed from the AC1900P which is the router/AP and conected to the Internet.

The N66 is configured in bridge mode.

Last edited:
If it's anything like my N56s, rock solid stable running the last fw available in media bridge mode. Haven't had to reboot two 56s since i brought them back into operation when the 68s kept dropping in media bridge.

If it's anything like my N56s, rock solid stable running the last fw available in media bridge mode. Haven't had to reboot two 56s since i brought them back into operation when the 68s kept dropping in media bridge.

What FW version do you have on your N56s?

Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.384_32799

EDIT: IGNORE THIS. WAS SUPPOSED TO BE DELETED BC IT'S MY 68s FW, not my 56.

Last edited:
Just wanted to add that bridge mode in AC68 seems to break whenever multicast/upnp/DLNA traffic starts to flow.

It seems a very common problem. However in repeater mode you wont't have any packet lost, dropped connection, .. but you will loose "passthrough" of DLNA/upnp packets from wired to wireless interface.

Hence repeater mode doesn't solve situations in which the home server is wired and clients are wireless, but at least connection is very stable.

I went from stock FW 3.0.0.4.380_7743 to Merlin 380.70 on my RT-AC68P running as a Media Bridge, it's been only 20 hours but so far so good.

I am still interested in getting recommendation of a more recent FW version (either stock or Merlin) that is reliable.

Is Media Bridge mode (on RT-AC68U) stable with FreshTomato-ARM or DD-WRT firmware ?
Any firsthand experience ?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!