What's new

RT-AC68U or RT-AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bleets

New Around Here
Hi.
I'm looking for a new router for my parents to replace their failling TP-Link.

As I've been running at RT-AC68U for quite a few years now with little issue I was looking at getting them the same.

The RT-AC68U is currently £119 but I've noticed the RT-AC86U is currently £136...

Is the 86U a better buy at £17 more? Is the reliability similar to the 68U?

Basically should I get the 86U instead of the 68U? :)

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Hi.
I'm looking for a new router for my parents to replace their failling TP-Link.

As I've been running at RT-AC68U for quite a few years now with little issue I was looking at getting them the same.

The RT-AC68U is currently £119 but I've noticed the RT-AC86U is currently £136...

Is the 86U a better buy at £17 more? Is the reliability similar to the 68U?

Basically should I get the 86U instead of the 68U? :)

Thanks for any advice you can provide.
For parents, I would recommend you stick with tried and true AC68U. They won’t want to deal with potential issues some people encounter with a AC86U.

Give them your 68U and buy yourself the 86U.

The RT-AC66U_B1 is recommended over the RT-AC68U. :)

Do what @dave14305 suggests: get the RT-AC86U for yourself and gift your parents the longstanding, but now old (but stable) champ.

For parents, I would recommend you stick with tried and true AC68U. They won’t want to deal with potential issues some people encounter with a AC86U.

Give them your 68U and buy yourself the 86U.

Howdy, thanks for your reply...

What issues have people have with the AC86U? I've been googling around and havent really come across anything...

To be honest the 68U is more suited for me as I don't use wifi a whole lot, mostly wired devices...

My parents on the other hand have 4-5 users on phones, tablets, streaming services etc all using WiFi which is why I thought the 86U would probably end up better...

Thanks

The issue with the AC86U is only when you reboot it. If you do not mean to do any changes to your router, such as playing around with it as many of this forum members do, there is really no reason to reboot your AC86U.

Concerning the 2.4 and 5 Ghz band, those who have experienced these issues have done so very early and exchanged the router to a working one.
If you are not able to support when this happen and do not need the extra wifi coverage and speed, the AC68U is probably better.

Last edited:
...Ok yeah I'll go with the 68U again since I know they're pretty solid :)

Thanks guys :)

I think you may have missed post 3?

The RT-AC66U_B1 is the RT-AC68U with updated hardware for a cheaper price. ;)

And, it even uses the same RMerlin firmware for the RT-AC68U. :)

I think you may have missed post 3?

The RT-AC66U_B1 is the RT-AC68U with updated hardware for a cheaper price. ;)

And, it even uses the same RMerlin firmware for the RT-AC68U. :)

Oh...

i did miss it sorry
I've had a look around and I can't find that for sale anywhere I'd buy from...looks like it's quite an old model that unlike the AC68U isn't widely available here still

No, it is a newer model with better hardware than the 'classic' RT-AC68U.

Make sure you are searching for the RT-AC66U _B1 version and not just the inferior and older RT-AC66U. :)

No, it is a newer model with better hardware than the 'classic' RT-AC68U.

Make sure you are searching for the RT-AC66U _B1 version and not just the inferior and older RT-AC66U. :)

I thought the hardware was the same. What is the difference?

RT-AC86U, go for something nice for your parents, wider coverage.

Is the reliability similar to the 68U?

Avoid RT-AC86U. Get the original RT-AC68U or RT-AC66U_B1 instead, if you want an ASUS product.

RT-AC86U, go for something nice for your parents, wider coverage.

The nice part is he may have to go to parents house more often, to fix the RT-AC86U and to see the parents.

How about RT-AC1900P? As I don't know where you are and how much it is...

I'm using RC-AC66U B1, good price–performance ratio, and it is enough for me as a WiFi5 router.

Wi-Fi 6E devices are not cheap, but worth waiting for.