What's new

RT-AC68u pppoe issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

silaji

New Around Here
Hi all,
I've got a problem with the router, the pppoe connection fails, the router does not send the PADR back to the isp after the PADO, does anyone know what is going on?
The issue started happening after a restart. Right now I am running the merlin fw, I did do a hard reset, and formatted the jffs partition.

Thanks!

EDIT: with the stock firmware the same happens

Last edited:
Hi all,
I've got a problem with the router, the pppoe connection fails, the router does not send the PADR back to the isp after the PADO, does anyone know what is going on?
The issue started happening after a restart. Right now I am running the merlin fw, I did do a hard reset, and formatted the jffs partition.

Thanks!

Did you reboot the bridged Modem connected to your RT-AC68U?
Make 100% sure you have the correct user name and password in WAN Settings and make sure you have MTU/MRU set at 1500, 1492 or other suitable value. What are the PADO, PADR, PADI syslog messages you are getting when PPPoE connection fails?
Are you getting PADT messages terminating the connection? Are these being sent by ISP or your Router? Do You need to clone the Mac Address in WAN Settings( special requirements ISP) to send a properly formatted PADI Packet? Do you need to insert the access concentrator name and/or service name (sometimes required by some ISPs). From your description above it seems that you never get as far as getting a PADS from the ISP. Are the DNS Servers set correctly under WAN settings? Try 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8 if you are using connect to DNS Server automatically - ie try other DNS other than your ISP DNS.

"Enable VPN + DHCP Connection" to "No" fixed an issue for a particular user when combined with cloning Mac Address in WAN Settings. You may wish to give that a go when nothing else above has worked.

Last edited:
Yes, I did reboot several times, reseted to factory settings, tried different firmware versions, all the other settings are correct and taken from the ISP's router. It does not matter if I clone the MAC, use the isp's router mac or leave it empty the result is the same either way.

I am not getting any PADT packets just an infinite amount of PADI-PADO. The syslog messages do not show anything related to it, how do you enable it? After some time I might get a "timeout waiting for PADO" or something like that.

I even managed Windows of all things to establish a pppoe connection with the wan cable attached directly to the pc.

EDIT: I figured out how to enabled to log of control packets

Last edited:
I put the pppd in debug mode and the only relevant thing was: "pppd[1948]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets " and nothing else.

While clearly pado packets have been sent by the isp as you can see in the wireshark capture
1615042160358.png

The capture has been made with a switch with port mirroring

Are you able to get a PPPoE successful connection with only the ISP Modem/Router in the loop? If so all I can suggest is trying a WPS Reset on the AC-68U and reconfiguring from scratch. Try and do a search of PPPoE issues with AC-68U there is a bit of history there. See if you can erase all NVRAM entries as well before WPS reset.

Did that, multiple times, last time today, nothing seems to work. I know about the pppoe disconnects this router has I have been feeling them for 2 years, this is not that.

well it seems you have a brick then !

Well, everything else works in the router, or seems like it, the wan port also works. I can put it with a static ip behind a DMZ and the wan port works. It just does not make any sense. That's all

Hi all,

Thanks!

Hi. I have the same problem - at least similar. The PPPoE connection works normally, but when I turn on the VPN client later, when I restart the router, the router does not establish a connection for me. Restarting the router does not help. I need to remove the VPN client settings (not just save the disabled service) and after the restart the PPPoE connection will be re-established. I used version 386.1_2 and today I updated router firmware to the latest beta version of RT-AC68U.. Now I will set up a VPN client and try to restart the router tomorrow. We will see...

I think I have the same problem, or even worse, PPPoE stuck at random times after power on from few hours to 30 days, has to be rebooted manually, also the router reboots itself randomly.

I have two ac68u, one r7000, two ac86u and one ax86u, all of them are running merlinwrt 386.3_2 now.

I start noticing this PPPoE issues from about 2 years ago, my family members started complaining about they couldn't access the internet, and had to reboot the router. I think all this starting from 384.x, before that ac68u and r7000 have never needed to be rebooted even after a year.

I have an online notification script, and I have found a strange behavior recently, my router online notification can be as later as up to 10+ minutes sometimes after reboot, it normally should be less than 1-minutes.

Today my network went down for several hours again and I logged into my ax86u, to check what was going on with my router. And there was nothing/empty/totally blank in the log, I saw this phenomenon once before when my internet went down, I thought it was a coincident, so I clicked the "Clear" button, then the new log was showing up. And this time all the same, when I clicked the "Clear" I saw `pppd[1931]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets`

And even more strange was, since my internet went down I had to switch to a backup router, so I changed ax68u from PPPoE to Dynamic IP, and plugged ax86u to my backup-router, but the ax86u kept showing me its Internet status disconnected, I rebooted ax68u again, it was still showing disconnected, even I could ping my up-link router IP address within SSH, and the log shown `pppd[1931]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets` , but the router was set to Dynamic IP mode, which made me wonder something was wrong.

So I have tried to manually set back and forth to PPPoE and Dynamic IP, but not working, I still got Internet status showing disconnected, then I switched to Static IP and the Internet status showing connected, that was very weird.

Those ac68u ac86u ax86u and r7000 are running under several different ISPs, all of them more or less had random reboot and PPPoE stuck issues lately, it is getting even worse since 386.3_2.

I have 4 houses with 4 different ISPs and locate in two counties.

ISP A is PPPoE and IPv6 native capable and IPv6 is switched off. With ac68u, random reboot, PPPoE stuck, problem started from latter half of 2019, after update to 384.13 probably.
ISP B is PPPoE and IPv6 native capable and IPv6 native is switched on. With PPPoE stuck started from earily of 2019, after update to 384.x not sure. Now with 386.3_2 ax86u, ac86u, r7000 random reboot + PPPoE stuck + needs 10-minutes to get online sometimes.
ISP C is PPPoe and IPoE capable and IPv6 pass-through is switched on. With 386.2_3 ac86u ac68u, most of time is stable, occasionally failed PPPoE.
ISP D is IPv4 only and Dynamic IP. With 386.2_3 ac86u, random reboot.

Last edited:
I think I have the same problem, or even worse, PPPoE stuck at random times after power on from few hours to 30 days, has to be rebooted manually, also the router reboots itself randomly.

I have two ac68u, one r7000, two ac86u and one ax86u, all of them are running merlinwrt 386.3_2 now.

I start noticing this PPPoE issues from about 2 years ago, my family members started complaining about they couldn't access the internet, and had to reboot the router. I think all this starting from 384.x, before that ac68u and r7000 have never needed to be rebooted even after a year.

I have an online notification script, and I have found a strange behavior recently, my router online notification can be as later as up to 10+ minutes sometimes after reboot, it normally should be less than 1-minutes.

Today my network went down for several hours again and I logged into my ax86u, to check what was going on with my router. And there was nothing/empty/totally blank in the log, I saw this phenomenon once before when my internet went down, I thought it was a coincident, so I clicked the "Clear" button, then the new log was showing up. And this time all the same, when I clicked the "Clear" I saw `pppd[1931]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets`

And even more strange was, since my internet went down I had to switch to a backup router, so I changed ax68u from PPPoE to Dynamic IP, and plugged ax86u to my backup-router, but the ax86u kept showing me its Internet status disconnected, I rebooted ax68u again, it was still showing disconnected, even I could ping my up-link router IP address within SSH, and the log shown `pppd[1931]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets` , but the router was set to Dynamic IP mode, which made me wonder something was wrong.

So I have tried to manually set back and forth to PPPoE and Dynamic IP, but not working, I still got Internet status showing disconnected, then I switched to Static IP and the Internet status showing connected, that was very weird.

Those ac68u ac86u ax86u and r7000 are running under several different ISPs, all of them more or less had random reboot and PPPoE stuck issues lately, it is getting even worse since 386.3_2.

I have 4 houses with 4 different ISPs and locate in two counties.

ISP A is PPPoE and IPv6 native capable and IPv6 is switched off. With ac68u, random reboot, PPPoE stuck, problem started from latter half of 2019, after update to 384.13 probably.
ISP B is PPPoE and IPv6 native capable and IPv6 native is switched on. With PPPoE stuck started from earily of 2019, after update to 384.x not sure. Now with 386.3_2 ax86u, ac86u, r7000 random reboot + PPPoE stuck + needs 10-minutes to get online sometimes.
ISP C is PPPoe and IPoE capable and IPv6 pass-through is switched on. With 386.2_3 ac86u ac68u, most of time is stable, occasionally failed PPPoE.
ISP D is IPv4 only and Dynamic IP. With 386.2_3 ac86u, random reboot.
Hi. I didn't have time to experiment with the router and I'm not an expert in the subject. Once I came up with a way to solve my problem, I didn't dig into it anymore. Gradually, I did a downgrade of the FW to version 384.19_0, where everything worked without problems for me, and then I only did a dirty update of the FW. Everything is OK. I'm working on 386.3_2 but I can't do a factory reset because the problem will come back (at least I think because it was after 386.2_6) and I don't want to risk the problem right now. Interestingly, when I solved the problem, I also used the latest official version of FW (ASUS) and I also had a problem with disconnecting the WAN ...

Look on my posts from 22.03.2021 about PPPoe issues :

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!