What's new

RT-AC68U / RT-AC68P / RT-AC1900 / RT-AC1900P

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Just out of curiosity, why do most people prefer to convert their RT-AC1900 to AC68u instead of AC68p?
Nobody is "converting" anything. The firmwares for the RT-AC1900, RT-AC68U, RT-AC68P, etc. are identical. Loading one firmware or the other doesn't change the hardware in any way.

Sorry for the wrong term used. What i meant is that most of the tutorials that I am seeing mentions flashing the AC1900 to AC68u? Is there a preference for AC68u instead of the AC68P?

Sorry for the wrong term used. What i meant is that most of the tutorials that I am seeing mentions flashing the AC1900 to AC68u? Is there a preference for AC68u instead of the AC68P?
The "conversion" discussions are regarding the TM-AC1900 which is a T-Mobile product, made by Asus and very similar to the RT-AC68 series.
The TM-AC1900 has limitations compared to the RT-AC68U, that makes many wanting to install RT-AC68U firmware in the TM-AC1900 to enable all Asus features.
Discussions about how, why and what-if can be found in this forum and shall not further be discussed in this thread.

Good evening, does anyone knows the specs of the AC1900U? Cant find a single review of that router, nor what is the real clock speed/RAM/Flash size.

Best regards.

Is it correct to say that RT-AC1900U is a modified version of RT-AC68U or RT-AC1900 as it is a laying model not standing up and got an USB3.0 in front?
Same housing like RT-AC66U B1 or RT-AC1750 (1300+450) but now with upgraded 1900MHz (1300+600).

Maybe the RT-AC1900U is the even better RT-AC68U as USB3.0 is far away on the other side of the antennas and so less 2.4G-WiFi interferences ...

Last edited:
Is it correct to say that RT-AC1900U is a modified version of RT-AC68U or RT-AC1900 as it is a laying model not standing up and got an USB3.0 in front?
Same housing like RT-AC66U B1 or RT-AC1750 (1300+450) but now with upgraded 1900MHz (1300+600).

Maybe the RT-AC1900U is the even better RT-AC68U as USB3.0 is far away on the other side of the antennas and so less 2.4G-WiFi interferences ...
it is a same router sold in different countries
ac1900 is also stand router
8192_999_asus-rt-ac1900p-wireless-router-review_full.jpg

I don't expect major differences in the routers. For end users the whole combination of router, client-end-capabilities, distance and disturbance does count.
The whole RT-AC68 / RT-AC1900 series is very close together.
Maybe they renamed the RT-AC66U-B1 to RT-AC1900U (although the specs are slightly different).
There is a magic world of marketing and availability of components (chip-sets) behind it.

Last edited:
So this one should have 1400MHz CPU and the most recent radios? (I am clearly muddled about "Hardware B2," "-B2", and "_B2.")

Thank you.

AC68U_180810a.png

I suggest to open the router and share the secret details :)
No longer an option. This is in place as the gateway router for my LAN and it has about 20 clients connected.

No longer an option. This is in place as the gateway router for my LAN and it has about 20 clients connected.
That's OK. Just log into the router and look at Tools > System Information > CPU. That will tell you the number of cores and the CPU speed. While you're there, just below it is the total amount of RAM.

To confirm the size of the flash memory you'd probably have to look at the syslog when it boots. Look for lines like the following:
Code:
Jan  1 00:00:12 kernel: Found a AMD NAND flash:
Jan  1 00:00:12 kernel: Total size:  128MB

Jan  1 00:00:12 kernel: Northstar brcmnand NAND Flash Controller driver, Version 0.1 (c) Broadcom Inc. 2012
Jan  1 00:00:12 kernel: NAND device: Manufacturer ID: 0x01, Chip ID: 0xf1 (AMD NAND 128MiB 3,3V 8-bit)

Last edited:
That's OK. Just log into the router and look at Tools > System Information > CPU. That will tell you the number of cores and the CPU speed. While you're there, just below it is the total amount of RAM.
Indeed, that was the perfect solution. The results requested in message #192 are below. Sorry they are so hard to read -- vBulletin shrunk the image.

AC68U_HWVer_B2.png

Thanks @dlandiss that's excellent. AFAIK you're the only person that has actually got one of these routers, everyone else has just been looking at the box and speculating.:rolleyes:

It would be really useful if you could confirm the size of the flash memory. The speculation is that this model is the same as the "BestBuy" version. That model apparently has 256MB of flash instead of the more common 128MB.

Last edited:
Thanks @dlandiss that's excellent. AFAIK you're the only person that has actually got one of these routers, everyone else has just been looking at the box and speculating.:rolleyes:

It would be really useful if you could confirm the size of the flash memory. The speculation is that this model is the same as the "BestBuy" version. That model apparently has 256MB of flash instead of the more common 128MB.

OK, here are the first lines from the log after a reboot. It looks to me like the same discovery/reporting action takes place several times. I don't think there is enough personal info in it to do me any damage.

Oops--upload wizard would not accept the log as a TXT file--thought that was permitted. Let's see if I can embed it as "Code" instead:

NOPE, I got an error message saying I had been blocked from posting to this forum because my upload had words or phrases prohibited for security reasons. So you can find it here instead.

Thanks @dlandiss I can see these lines in your log file so it does not appear to be the same as the RT-AC1900P BestBuy version.

May 5 00:04:59 kernel: Found a Mxic NAND flash:
May 5 00:04:59 kernel: Total size: 128MB

May 5 00:04:59 kernel: Northstar brcmnand NAND Flash Controller driver, Version 0.1 (c) Broadcom Inc. 2012
May 5 00:04:59 kernel: NAND device: Manufacturer ID: 0xc2, Chip ID: 0xf1 (Unknown NAND 128MiB 3,3V 8-bit)

@wouterv Do you think we can update the entry in post #1?

RT-AC68U, Hardware B2, CPU = BCM4709C0 @ 1400, RAM=256MB, Flash=128MB. Unknown wireless chips.

I have one. Just received it yesterday from Asus. Haven’t even opened it yet. Lol.

Thanks @dlandiss I can see these lines in your log file so it does not appear to be the same as the RT-AC1900P BestBuy version.

May 5 00:04:59 kernel: Found a Mxic NAND flash:
May 5 00:04:59 kernel: Total size: 128MB

May 5 00:04:59 kernel: Northstar brcmnand NAND Flash Controller driver, Version 0.1 (c) Broadcom Inc. 2012
May 5 00:04:59 kernel: NAND device: Manufacturer ID: 0xc2, Chip ID: 0xf1 (Unknown NAND 128MiB 3,3V 8-bit)

@wouterv Do you think we can update the entry in post #1?

RT-AC68U, Hardware B2, CPU = BCM4709C0 @ 1400, RAM=256MB, Flash=128MB. Unknown wireless chips.
I have added the CPU type, the rest was in or still marked unknown.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!