What's new

RT-AC68U / RT-AC68P / RT-AC1900 / RT-AC1900P

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Interesting discussion about the AC-68u varients here.

Last week I purchased a RT-AC3200 (close call to an A87u which I skipped due to the odd wireless setup). Do I need dual 5 Ghz? Nope, but I did fancy the 1 Ghz vs supposed 800 Mhz in the 68u.

I've since learnt the AC3200 is hard to overclock due to bootloader restrictions, whilst if I'm not mistaken the latest AC-68u available in Europe likely has a 1,4 Ghz part anyway, and is effectively a downclocked AC-68p, so I'm now wondering whether to order an AC-68u from Amazon UK (either new, or amazon warehouse) to see if I get a fast version. If so, I'm thinking it would be better for general routing than the 3200.

My internet speed is 220/20 currently, though 330 is a possibility. I may well have some features enabled that affect hw accel, though so far I think some is still enabled on the 3200
(Update: cut through is still on, not nat accel. I have enabled traffic diags, AI, and Adaptive QOS. the first two more playing, the qos though I quite fancy leaving ... which will mean the router is more cpu bound, hence this is a prudent question here)

So in summary if the safe speed the the 68u is only going to be 1 Ghz I may as well stick with what I have, but if there's a fair chance of doing faster, reliably... then I may be better off returning and getting the 68.

thoughts?

Last edited:
The RT-AC3200 and the RT-AC68 are different routers, check the comparison table in the first post.
The RT-AC3200 is a so called 3-radio router (1x 2.4 GHz, 2x 5 GHz), the RT-AC68 "only" has 2 radios.
The RT-AC3200 is supported by Merlin, check his website:
https://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/about

Indeed I did. Thanks for the reminder, my point really was just confirming that to all intents and purposes, if the second 5 Ghz isn't being used then the routers should perform similarly, other than differences in clock rates - see another post I made on the AC-68u variants with varying chips/clocks

what are the typical versions of the AC-68u coming out of the UK (amazon) currently? do they typically have the faster CPU?
may take a punt (or on amazon warehouse, though more risky, hoping the returns are "recent")

Hey guys, is there a variant that is "better" than the others? I just purchased the RT-AC1900 no P with a C1 revision at Walmart. It was a spur of the moment thing as it was on clearance for $69. Just wondering if it was a good buy.

Thanks, but have you experienced it your self? I am getting 20Mbps only, with 1 core at over 92% usage, and looking at this forum, this seems to be the norm.

I have first hand experience. I did some testing a while back (January 2017). These are my speeds using the OpenVPN client on two different ASUS routers. Both routers running Asuswrt-Merlin 380.64 firmware. Connecting to PIA VPN servers on port 1198.

AC3100 (1.4 Ghz dual core)
CTF (Cut Through Forwarding NAT Acceleration)
DL: 61 Mbps with core 1 at 25%, core 2 at 75%
DL :74 Mbps with core 1 at 30%, core 2 at 85% with mods*
UL: 84 Mbps with core 1 at 35%, core 2 at 100%

AC68U (1.0 Ghz dual core)
CTF enabled
DL: 44 Mbps with core 1 at 30%, core 2 at 80%
UL: 58 Mbps with core 1 at 40%, core 2 at 100%

The speed tests were conducted over a wired connection from the computer to the router.

Data encryption: AES-128-CBC
Data authentication: SHA1
Handshake: RSA-2048

*Adding the following lines to the custom configuration bumped the DL speeds to 74 Mbps.
sndbuf 524288
rcvbuf 524288
push "sndbuf 524288"
push "rcvbuf 524288"

DO we know if the e1 revision has the updated wifi chip that supports full Mac? I think it's confirmed in the c1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One simple question
What will I gain or what will I loose if I buy ASUS RT AC-1900 C1 rev ?
To my honest opinion there are no major performance difference between the various RT-AC68 and RT-AC1900 models.
The final wireless performance is most affected by your local individual conditions and situation (a super fast router will not help to enhance a disturbed wireless signal).

I agree with wouterv. The main reason that I would choose one model over the other is if I was using openvpn and could take advantage of the model with the 1.4 Ghz cpu.

Hi.

Does anyone know if the RT-AC1900 C1 has usb shielding or not ?

Here is the answer I got from Asus support.

"RT-AC1900P is the improved version of RT-AC1900 and the only things that were improved CPU speed. That means all the special features and specifications of RT-AC1900P is the same with the version model you are talking about which is RT-AC1900."

Here is the answer I got from Asus support.

"RT-AC1900P is the improved version of RT-AC1900 and the only things that were improved CPU speed. That means all the special features and specifications of RT-AC1900P is the same with the version model you are talking about which is RT-AC1900."
USB shielding was introduced with the A2 hardware version of the RT-AC68U, for quite sure this was carried on in the later hardware models including the RT-AC1900 variants.

How do I find the version if the sticker is missing on the back? I've ran cat /proc/cpuinfo which returns:

Processor : ARMv7 Processor rev 0 (v7l)
processor : 0
BogoMIPS : 1599.07

processor : 1
BogoMIPS : 1595.80

Features : swp half thumb fastmult edsp
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant : 0x3
CPU part : 0xc09
CPU revision : 0

Hardware : Northstar Prototype
Revision : 0000
Serial : 0000000000000000

My unit is a refurb with shielding but other than that I'm not sure what to check-

How do I find the version if the sticker is missing on the back? I've ran cat /proc/cpuinfo which returns:

Processor : ARMv7 Processor rev 0 (v7l)
processor : 0
BogoMIPS : 1599.07

processor : 1
BogoMIPS : 1595.80

Features : swp half thumb fastmult edsp
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant : 0x3
CPU part : 0xc09
CPU revision : 0

Hardware : Northstar Prototype
Revision : 0000
Serial : 0000000000000000

My unit is a refurb with shielding but other than that I'm not sure what to check-
My RT-AC68U hardware version A2 gives exactly the same.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!