What's new

RT-AC68U / RT-AC68P / RT-AC1900 / RT-AC1900P

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have the AC-56R which has been very reliable though its two internal antennas and CPU deliver mediocre performance, especially upstream. I'm contemplating getting the AC-1900P since it seems to be faster and more current. Can any of you that own one chime in and let me know what you think? Thanks

I would suggest that that may be a sideways upgrade, performance-wise. :)

The RT-AX58U may be a better consideration at this time. ;)

If the budget doesn't extend to the AX (RMerlin supported) router above, then the RT-AC66U_B1 would be my pick out of the routers in your title today.

I would suggest that that may be a sideways upgrade, performance-wise. :)

The RT-AX58U may be a better consideration at this time. ;)

If the budget doesn't extend to the AX (RMerlin supported) router above, then the RT-AC66U_B1 would be my pick out of the routers in your title today.
Can I assume you were responding to my post? If so, what is the advantage of the AC66U over the AC1900P? From the chart on the first page of this thread, the 1900P has the fastest processor of any listed. I appreciate your input tremendously :)

Yes, it was your post I responded to.

The advantage of the RT-AC66U_B1 is that it is more widely available and possibly cost less than the Best Buy only RT-AC1900P. For all WiFi related workloads, they would be effectively the same, except for VPN use. To get effectively the same performance, at least pay less. :)

The tri-core, 'AX' based, RT-AX58U is not only a 2020 model that is RMerlin supported but on sale, it may even rival the price of the models above (depends on the region you're in, of course).

Even with no AX clients, the latest routers work better than the old AC class routers with more range and throughput in my experience.

'More current', is relative. :)

Don't forget, that the first post is from 2016. ;)

With 3 cores @ 1.5GHz and 512MB of ram and 256MB of flash storage, the RT-AX58U is a better bet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Asus_routers#ASUS_Wireless_ac_Routers

Yes, it was your post I responded to.

The advantage of the RT-AC66U_B1 is that it is more widely available and possibly cost less than the Best Buy only RT-AC1900P. For all WiFi related workloads, they would be effectively the same, except for VPN use. To get effectively the same performance, at least pay less. :)

The tri-core, 'AX' based, RT-AX58U is not only a 2020 model that is RMerlin supported but on sale, it may even rival the price of the models above (depends on the region you're in, of course).

Even with no AX clients, the latest routers work better than the old AC class routers with more range and throughput in my experience.

'More current', is relative. :)

Don't forget, that the first post is from 2016. ;)

With 3 cores @ 1.5GHz and 512MB of ram and 256MB of flash storage, the RT-AX58U is a better bet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Asus_routers#ASUS_Wireless_ac_Routers
Thanks for the response. My budget does not allow for the AX router nor do I have devices that support that band. So if I understand correctly you're saying the AC66U is a better bang for the buck than the 1900P. Be advised I'm not going to buy a new one however. Checking Ebay the AX model mentioned is nearly $200 with some 1-2 year old 1900Op's for a fraction of the price.

Okay, what are your USP provided speeds?

I'm thinking that you might be buying a model that will give you effectively similar performance to what you already have.

I didn't know that they could be so new? The design/performance is certainly from 2016 though. ;)

Okay, what are your USP provided speeds?

I'm thinking that you might be buying a model that will give you effectively similar performance to what you already have.

I didn't know that they could be so new? The design/performance is certainly from 2016 though. ;)

I'm on the 200 mbps tier with Comcast

200Mbps up and down (symmetrical)?

What firmware are you running on the RT-AC56R? Have you tried flashing the latest firmware available from john9527's development builds and doing a full reset/Initialize to factory defaults? Those 'AC56'ers were pretty good routers and should still be a good match for your ISP speeds, I believe.

200Mbps up and down (symmetrical)?

What firmware are you running on the RT-AC56R? Have you tried flashing the latest firmware available from john9527's development builds and doing a full reset/Initialize to factory defaults? Those 'AC56'ers were pretty good routers and should still be a good match for your ISP speeds, I believe.

No. The tier is 200 down, 10 up. My modem delivers about 20% faster but WiFi upstream remains at 8-9. Running latest build of firmware too. So from what you're saying is I should stay put with the 56R, correct?

Real-world upstream over WiFi at 8-9Mbps when the ISP offers 10Mbps is reasonable, IMO. :)

Keep saving for the AX upgrade you really want (yes, even with your AC clients). ;)

Out of curiosity, over a wired connection, do you get 10Mbps up? :)

Have you tried optimizing the location of the router, it's orientation and keeping it at least 10' above ground level and with 3' with no walls or other obstructions around it (in a 3D view)?

Have you tried using fixed Control Channels and testing each one (without a 'WiFi analyzer' app running - they can interfere/skew the results) for not only the best throughput but also the most 'responsive' settings? Don't test simply with speed tests, but by actually comparing notes of your normal browsing using your most-used sites. ;)

Last edited:
WAN speeds are 241 down, 12+ up. Yes to the other questions. I'm not dissatisfied with WiFi speeds, but I just thought upgrading to a more powerful router might be an improvement. I guess I'll continue to hunt for the AX model and with luck find one in the budget!

Whatever you do, be aware there is a big difference between RT-AC66U (older series) and RT-AC66U_B1 (mostly same as RT-AC68U in laying housing).
Do you think its worth to get a new router for maybe 10% more speed if at all?

Last edited:
Evening gents. We used to post CFEs here for some router models, if i share CFE from mine, would that be useful to anyone?

Evening gents. We used to post CFEs here for some router models, if i share CFE from mine, would that be useful to anyone?
I believe posting links to CFE dumps is now against forum policy as it can be used to bypass regional restrictions.

does anyone know the volts/amps outputted by the 68u? i am trying to figure out if it can power a raspberry pi... thanks!

does anyone know the volts/amps outputted by the 68u? i am trying to figure out if it can power a raspberry pi... thanks!
USB 2 is specified as 5v @ 500mA, USB 3 is 5v @ 900mA. Whether the router actually provides that is another matter.

You don't say what model pi, but any of the recent models require 2.5-3A....
Don't even try it.

You don't say what model pi, but any of the recent models require 2.5-3A....
Don't even try it.

I just need something that can run Pi-hole...

Any suggestions which model I should get?

I think I only need ethernet as the only peripheral

Now this is a crazy idea but I've seen some external DVD burners/HDs use two USB plugs to get the extra power... such as: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0047AALW6/?tag=snbforums-20 maybe that will allow me to harness extra power?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!