What's new

RT-AC68W with FW_RT_AC68W_300438410007 - No AIMesh in GUI?!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

runar

New Around Here
I bought a brand new RT-AC68W (RT-AC68U White) yesterday for replacement of my old Netgear AP with hopes to AIMesh working with my already existing RT-AC68U that I have been running for a number of years.

I updated and performed a factory reset on my main router (RT-AC68U) and notice the added functionality for AIMesh in the GUI. Made a basic setup to get it up and running.

Then I hooked up the new RT-AC68W, made a quick setup and updated the firmware to the same release as the main node. Performed a factory reset.

Now, going back to my main router, I search for a new node.. But times out without finding it. Did this a number of times, even tried with cable (Node WAN -> Router LAN) but still can't find it.

So, then I decide to swith it around, use the new RT-AC68W as main router instead. So, factory reset again and quick setup as a AIMesh Router. Reconnect and open GUI, but no AIMesh in the GUI? Strange thing is that you can select AIMesh roles in the quick-wizard so obviosly loading the correct FW.

But why is it not showing the AIMesh symbol in the UI (even tried the ASUS Router app in my iPad)?

I even tried flashing with the RT-AC68U image, but same result.

RT-AC68U White (RT-AC68W) is listed as supported on the main ASUS AIMesh page, and the Firmware image is available for download, and it will update through the GUI also.

Something is very fishy.. And I am very tired after spending half the night on this ;(

Follow the directions as written? Discovery will happen when nodes are within a few feet of one another. After finding and adding, you'll move the node and change the backhaul selection between auto/ ethernet.

Like I stated above in my post, I did exactly that about 10 times before I decided to try with the RT-AC68W as the AIMesh Router. That's when I notice that the entire AIMesh section is missing from the Web-GUI. The functionality is simply not there, the UI looks like the old version without AIMesh.

Like I stated above in my post, I did exactly that about 10 times before I decided to try with the RT-AC68W as the AIMesh Router. That's when I notice that the entire AIMesh section is missing from the Web-GUI. The functionality is simply not there, the UI looks like the old version without AIMesh.

Gotcha. May want to send feedback to the team with all settings for them to review. Does sound strange.

Did that yesterday.. No response. Let's hope they can reproduce and fix it..

I ended up with running it as a wired AP instead.. Which seems to work fine for now. But still the little glitch in connectivity when moving between the floors in my house.

Turned down TX-power on both routers which seemed to improve it a bit.. While not actually seems to have affected the coverage?!

Had your issues when I set up my 2 new 86U's with my 3100. The fix is that once you set up your main mesh router and u update your new 68U with the new firmware and factory reset, U have to plug the mesh node router like literally within a few feet from your main router. I could not find my nodes until I unplugged them and moved them right next to the main. Then when I powered them on, and clicked the search mesh button on the main router, they popped up.

As far as your missing AI mesh...I would factory reset and reinstall the firmware and do the above again. It will work.

3DB810C4-9B21-4A21-8E66-ACB3B728E9CF.jpeg
As far as your missing AI mesh...I would factory reset and reinstall the firmware and do the above again. It will work.
Must have done it 10 times by now. Tried latest FW for AC68W, AC68U and even the latest beta with AIMesh-support.

The entire AIMesh-function is missing from the gui. No response from official support either.

Running in AP-mode now, but GUI looks the same in Router-mode.

Did that yesterday.. No response. Let's hope they can reproduce and fix it..

I ended up with running it as a wired AP instead.. Which seems to work fine for now. But still the little glitch in connectivity when moving between the floors in my house.

Turned down TX-power on both routers which seemed to improve it a bit.. While not actually seems to have affected the coverage?!

We are looking for this issue now....(No AiMesh in GUI)

View attachment 11619
Must have done it 10 times by now. Tried latest FW for AC68W, AC68U and even the latest beta with AIMesh-support.

The entire AIMesh-function is missing from the gui. No response from official support either.

Running in AP-mode now, but GUI looks the same in Router-mode.
I think you might also be able to see the issue in log, it will have something related to wds
i think it's similar to not enough buffer or can't send packet, i can't remember what the exact message was when I encounter it

what I would try is
try factory reset and power cycle it (power it down for 30+ sec), few times if it doesn't work initially
it does the trick for me

I think you might also be able to see the issue in log, it will have something related to wds
i think it's similar to not enough buffer or can't send packet, i can't remember what the exact message was when I encounter it

what I would try is
try factory reset and power cycle it (power it down for 30+ sec), few times if it doesn't work initially
it does the trick for me
Read my post again.. Its about the fact that AIMesh (the entire feature/function) is missing in my RT-AC68W. Do you have a RT-AC68U White with AIMesh working?

Read my post again.. Its about the fact that AIMesh (the entire feature/function) is missing in my RT-AC68W. Do you have a RT-AC68U White with AIMesh working?
not that I did not read your post, but it did happened to me before
while I dont have ac68w, I had the entire aimesh section gone for both my ac68u, and ac3100.
It was during the initial update, and also happened like twice after I had set it up.
At first, I thought it would be fixed by rebooting / resetting, but it wasn't fixed till I factory reset and power cycle it. Thus the suggestion to do both and maybe a few times

And I remember when I check the system log, there was error message of trouble to initialize aimesh, and I had notice log with message with something like wds
it will look like (just an example of the error message)
unable to send packet on real device for wds0.3: No buffer space available​
just look for error message with keyword wds
while it's not the exact log for the issue, it's some message with similar format with keyword wds
I did not save message as I was able to fix it, but it might help ASUS to id what happens.

Last edited:
I had the entire aimesh section gone for both my ac68u, and ac3100.
It was during the initial update, and also happened like twice after I had set it up.
At first, I thought it would be fixed by rebooting / resetting, but it wasn't fixed till I factory reset and power cycle it.
I think I must have made a factory reset at least 10 times.. But I'll try it a couple more times tonight just to make sure.

I think I must have made a factory reset at least 10 times.. But I'll try it a couple more times tonight just to make sure.
make sure you not only reset, but also power cycle it by power it down for 30+ sec. I cant explain why it works for me, but it solves weird issue every time a factory reset doesn't fix. Good luck and hope it solve the issue for you

Thanks for all the good ideas, unfortunately, none of them makes any difference.

AIMesh is completely missing from the RT-AC68W. I have tried flashing it with the regular RT-AC68U firmware (its just the color that is different, right?). But it’s still the same. There is nothing AIMesh-related in the gui. Its just not there after the initial setup.

The newer firmware has a "Restore" and "Initialize" button in Factory default. Have you tried the "Initialize"? It is supposed to wipe the jffs area as well as the NVRAM.

I noticed further up in this thread that @arthurlien of ASUS is looking into this issue.

I have noticed, when looking at the GUI .asp source (right click - view source page) that the GUI can have conditionals as to what it shows, based on the model number of the router. An example of this is the TMo branded TM-AC1900 router will not show the controls to enable telnet or ssh. This may be the case with your RT-AC68U_WHITE model number. That model number is set in the boot code (CFE). I suspect that ASUS may have forgotten to enable AiMesh for your model number in their code. You could wait for them to address this issue, or you may want to load a CFE for the straight RT-AC68U into your router. @hggomes collected various CFEs here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-routers-cfe-dumps-collection.17793/ Be sure to check your router flash chip first with the command he lists in that thread. He also includes various commands that you may use too.

To find instructions on how to update your CFE, check out some of the threads for converting a TM-AC1900 to a RT-AC68U. (You can skip the initial instructions about downgrading the firmware first. Those steps are just to get to a version that lets you enable telnet, which is already enabled on your router.) Here is an overview of the steps involved:
1. telnet or ssh into your router and copy the cfe to a file. i.e. old_cfe.bin
2. move old_cfe.bin onto a pc and use a hex editor to find the three mac address entries and the one wps "secret code" entry.
3. open the new cfe binary in a hex editor and replace the three mac address entries with the ones from your old cfe file. Also replace the secret code in the new cfe with your old secret code.
4. copy the new cfe to a directory on your router. (I use WinSCP to do this. Some people just use a USB drive to sneakernet the files back and forth between the pc and the router.)
5. write the new cfe to the boot partition. (i.e. mtd-write -i new_cfe.bin -d boot)
6. clear nvram
7. reboot

This is just an idea that may work. And it will give you something to do late at night while you wait for the ASUS fix. ;-)

I noticed further up in this thread that @arthurlien of ASUS is looking into this issue.

I have noticed, when looking at the GUI .asp source (right click - view source page) that the GUI can have conditionals as to what it shows, based on the model number of the router. An example of this is the TMo branded TM-AC1900 router will not show the controls to enable telnet or ssh. This may be the case with your RT-AC68U_WHITE model number. That model number is set in the boot code (CFE). I suspect that ASUS may have forgotten to enable AiMesh for your model number in their code. You could wait for them to address this issue, or you may want to load a CFE for the straight RT-AC68U into your router. @hggomes collected various CFEs here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-routers-cfe-dumps-collection.17793/ Be sure to check your router flash chip first with the command he lists in that thread. He also includes various commands that you may use too.

To find instructions on how to update your CFE, check out some of the threads for converting a TM-AC1900 to a RT-AC68U. (You can skip the initial instructions about downgrading the firmware first. Those steps are just to get to a version that lets you enable telnet, which is already enabled on your router.) Here is an overview of the steps involved:
1. telnet or ssh into your router and copy the cfe to a file. i.e. old_cfe.bin
2. move old_cfe.bin onto a pc and use a hex editor to find the three mac address entries and the one wps "secret code" entry.
3. open the new cfe binary in a hex editor and replace the three mac address entries with the ones from your old cfe file. Also replace the secret code in the new cfe with your old secret code.
4. copy the new cfe to a directory on your router. (I use WinSCP to do this. Some people just use a USB drive to sneakernet the files back and forth between the pc and the router.)
5. write the new cfe to the boot partition. (i.e. mtd-write -i new_cfe.bin -d boot)
6. clear nvram
7. reboot

This is just an idea that may work. And it will give you something to do late at night while you wait for the ASUS fix. ;-)

We only focus on RT-AC68U_WHITE.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!