What's new

RT-AC86U 5GHz Automatically Disables?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

a5m

Regular Contributor
This has happened once before and just happened again now. All of a sudden the 5GHz radio gets disabled.

I immediately saved the log and copied the pertinent part and attached it below.

I'm running 384.13 with amtm and Skynet and a 2GB Swap.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Attachments

• log.txt
    15.9 KB · Views: 234
I understand if it's difficult to say what's going on but any theories on what it might be? Anyone experience or hear of something similar?

I don't want to start doing a factory reset or flashing different firmwares just yet.

This is an obvious case of a misconfiguration (not necessarily on the part of the user) and an M&M Config is the first thing I would do. :)

Reactions: a5m
Well there you have it, I'm going to do that and report back :)

Is there something in the log that points to a misconfiguration? Unlike my previous routers, I only flashed one firmware on this out of the box which was 384_13. Did a reset and initialize through the GUI before and after and that was it.

Maybe an excuse to upgrade ;) No, don't want to change too much. Hoping a wipe resolves the issue.

I don't look at the logs, can get lost in the trees looking for the forest. :)

After that reset/initialize, did you do a minimal and manual configuration? Or was a saved config file used?

Any reason you're not using v384.15_0 or v384.16 Alpha (latest)? ;)

Haha going by feel. OG move :cool:

No config file used. I never do that anyway; seems like a bad idea. I haven't really made any changes since initial setup except changing the DHCP pool start address for pixelserv.

So I've taken an if it ain't broke, don't fix it approach. I admit some of the "issues" I see in regards to wifi performance with the newer versions hasn't helped :(

Any reason you're not using v384.15_0 or v384.16 Alpha (latest)? ;)

I don't know about him, but for me 384.12/13 (same WiFi drivers) had more consistent and reliable WiFi performance than 384.14/15 (same WiFi drivers). This update of drivers was one of my reasons to sell the router. Most WiFi related issues reported here on SNB are also 384.14/15 related. 386.16 Alpha is work-in-progress and not fully tested, this is why it's on Alpha stage. Pretty good reason to avoid for most users.