What's new

RT-AC86U and Dual WAN load balancing problems

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

maxime

New Around Here
Hi to everybody!
I've two FTTH Lines connected to my RT-AC86U:
- Line1 (1Gbit/300Mbit) set as primary, Wan (PPOE) direct connected to the ISP's Ont
- Line2 (1Gbit/1Gbit) set ad secondary, Lan connected to a FritzBox! Router (connected to the secondary ISP's Ont)

I've some problem using dual Wan load balancing: delays browsing internet, timeout pages loading, Google Home is unusable, skype or whatsapp call problems, etc...
I solved using manual routing rules, assigning every IP to a specific wan, but it's very boring and it's loophole, not a solution: a working load balancing doesn't require manual routing rules!
I found there was an old post talking about this problem, and it was opened on 2017! No yet solution to the problem from Merlin after 5 years?
Thanks for the support!

Frankly, I've always had doubts about the efficacy of dual WAN in load balancing mode, but for other reasons; it's incompatible w/ the OpenVPN clients. The WAN's routing policy rules always take precedence over the OpenVPN clients' routing policy rules. For all intents and purposes, once you enable load balancing, your OpenVPN clients are effectively starved of all traffic! And given the enhanced OpenVPN features are a major reason why users prefer Merlin, that's problematic. That's why I don't find the load balancing feature all that practical except in very specific situations where these shortcomings are known and understood.

I'm not even sure failover mode works all that well. Heard plenty of complaints there as well.

IMO, dual/multi WAN just isn't all it's cracked up to be for most ppl. Sounds like a good idea in principle, but most implementations (not just ASUS) are an "afterthought* that amounts to little more than a hack of firmware originally intended for a single WAN, hence why you see all kinds of issues. If it's going to work well at all, your best option is for a device that *only* does pure routing, and NOT one that also serves as an applications platform.

I know, not what ppl want to hear. But I've never been impressed w/ *any* dual/multi WAN solution when it comes to consumer-grade routers, beit OEM or third-party firmware. To garner my interest, it would require a complete redesign of the firmware, from the ground up, to consider all the implications. But no OEM wants to be bothered; they cheap out and leave YOU to deal w/ the unintended consequences.

JMTC

Frankly, I've always had doubts about the efficacy of dual WAN in load balancing mode, but for other reasons; it's incompatible w/ the OpenVPN clients. The WAN's routing policy rules always take precedence over the OpenVPN clients' routing policy rules. For all intents and purposes, once you enable load balancing, your OpenVPN clients are effectively starved of all traffic! And given the enhanced OpenVPN features are a major reason why users prefer Merlin, that's problematic. That's why I don't find the load balancing feature all that practical except in very specific situations where these shortcomings are known and understood.

I'm not even sure failover mode works all that well. Heard plenty of complaints there as well.

IMO, dual/multi WAN just isn't all it's cracked up to be for most ppl. Sounds like a good idea in principle, but most implementations (not just ASUS) are an "afterthought* that amounts to little more than a hack of firmware originally intended for a single WAN, hence why you see all kinds of issues. If it's going to work well at all, your best option is for a device that *only* does pure routing, and NOT one that also serves as an applications platform.

I know, not what ppl want to hear. But I've never been impressed w/ *any* dual/multi WAN solution when it comes to consumer-grade routers, beit OEM or third-party firmware. To garner my interest, it would require a complete redesign of the firmware, from the ground up, to consider all the implications. But no OEM wants to be bothered; they cheap out and leave YOU to deal w/ the unintended consequences.

JMTC
Is there a recommended router for dual WAN and VPN?

I have 2 internet connections and I want one set of clients to always use WAN1 (no VPN) and another set of clients to always use WAN2 (with VPN)
The clients would be selected and routed based on ip address

I have 2 internet connections and I want one set of clients to always use WAN1 (no VPN) and another set of clients to always use WAN2 (with VPN)
When you connect to VPN, you connect to a specific public IP. The public IP where you connected is automaticly the internet connection that is used

What you talked about is called "source based routing". This feature is usually available on business class routers. You may search the keyword "source based routing" in their spec sheets.
If what you need is just a stable dual WAN, you may try Synology router. I've been using it for the past 3 years after being frustrated by Asus, Netgear, etc.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!