What's new

RT AC86U CenturyLink 1GB GPON Speed issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Josh Lever

New Around Here
Hi all,

I have CL GPON fiber with the RT AC86U router connected to the ONT. I am connected using PPPoE & VLAN set to 201. I had a previous line speed of 100mb & was getting 100 up and down using a wireless connection.

I recently upgraded by line speed to 1GB, flashed Merlin 384.12, reset my modem and am unable to get close to the expected speeds. Currently getting ~200mb down (best case), upload is ~700-800mb. Adaptive QoS is disabled.

I've read stuff about Hardware/NAT acceleration and I think it's enabled, but not completely sure as i'm very inexperienced with this kind of stuff. Wondering if anybody could provide a list of settings for me to crosscheck once I can get back into the GUI?

Thanks in advance!

Go to Tools > Sysinfo and see if HW acceleration is enabled.

Thanks for the reply. Flow Cache and Runner are both enabled. Ethernet port WAN says 1Gbps, I also set my 2.4ghz to 20mhz (N only), and 5ghz to 20/40/80 (mix AC/N). Any other suggestions?

I was testing on DLSreports and again depending on the firmware version, couldn't consistently break 2-250mbs down. My highest upload was 850.

Additionally, when I look at the CPU cores, neither consistently exceeds 5%, usually hovers 0-3%. Would this indicate that the HW acceleration is not working despite the GUI saying it is enabled? I've tried the 4 most recent Merlin Firmware versions.

Last edited:
First of all, do not use QoS with a gigabit connection. Are you testing over wifi or wired?

Wireless mode should be set to auto. Turn off airtime fairness on both bands.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!