What's new

RT-AC86U intermittent DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

If i remember correctly (not sure)
Only time i experienced the "DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN"
Was on clients that did not have intranet access(guest network on a ac87u), Did tests with dnscrypt-proxy v2 and the in gui DoT and got this error randomly, Different servers did not matter.
Now i use servers via dns-filter for clients that use the guest network.
Don't know if this is related at all..

Last edited:
@Cornel @ColinTaylor Disconnected all LAN devices, and set it up again from scratch with a nuclear reset. Enabled options step by step and tested. The NXDomain error is only happening when AICloud is enabled.

This issue is present even on 386.2_4.

Can anyone else try to see if they can replicate the issue?

@Cornel @ColinTaylor Disconnected all LAN devices, and set it up again from scratch with a nuclear reset. Enabled options step by step and tested. The NXDomain error is only happening when AICloud is enabled.

This issue is present even on 386.2_4.

Can anyone else try to see if they can replicate the issue?
I'm not using AiCloud

Maybe this isn't a local problem or a DNS issue, but a problem with your ISP's network generally. Can you setup a continuous ping to somewhere like www.google.com and see if you loose all internet connectivity?
It's not a connectivity issue. It just manifests intermittently. I've seen it happen to common domains like google that were accessed successfully less than a minute prior, which leads me to believe there's some caching issue with dnsmasq. Looking up a different domain usually works, and domains already cached locally on the client work fine.

Last edited:
It's not a connectivity issue. It just manifests intermittently when a domain isn't already cached on the client machine. I've seen it happen to common domains like google that were accessed successfully less than a minute prior, which leads me to believe there's some caching issue with dnsmasq. Looking up a different domain usually works, and domains already cached locally on the client work fine.
I can't say that I remember ever seeing this exact error message in all the years and various versions of dnsmasq. But then I run vanilla DNS without anything like DNSSEC, DoT, DNSCrypt, etc.

I can't say that I remember ever seeing this exact error message in all the years and various versions of dnsmasq. But then I run vanilla DNS without anything like DNSSEC, DoT, DNSCrypt, etc.
First (and only) time I saw it was this past Monday (5/3) when Quad9 was having its problems (was using Quad9, DNSSEC, DoT)

First (and only) time I saw it was this past Monday (5/3) when Quad9 was having its problems (was using Quad9, DNSSEC, DoT)
OK this is weird. When I tested this before (by typing in garbage domain names) I was getting "ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED" even though I verified that dnsmasq was returning NXDOMAIN. Now when I do this same thing I get "DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN". The only differnce I can think of is the updated firmware. @john9527 ? I really wish Google would document the exact meaning of all these similar error messages.:mad:

It's not a connectivity issue. It just manifests intermittently. I've seen it happen to common domains like google that were accessed successfully less than a minute prior, which leads me to believe there's some caching issue with dnsmasq. Looking up a different domain usually works, and domains already cached locally on the client work fine.
Yep. The exact same thing was happening to me. Have not had a single false NXDOMAIN since I disabled AiCloud. Did you start seeing the issue around the 386.1_2 update (Feb 2021)? Also, do you have AiCloud enabled?

OK this is weird. When I tested this before (by typing in garbage domain names) I was getting "ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED" even though I verified that dnsmasq was returning NXDOMAIN. Now when I do this same thing I get "DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN". The only differnce I can think of is the updated firmware. @john9527 ? I really wish Google would document the exact meaning of all these similar error messages.:mad:
Tried accessing garbage domains on my phone's Chrome browser on WiFi and mobile data. Getting a DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN on both occasions. Chrome on Windows 10 gives the same error on WiFi.

Yep. The exact same thing was happening to me. Have not had a single false NXDOMAIN since I disabled AiCloud. Did you start seeing the issue around the 386.1_2 update (Feb 2021)? Also, do you have AiCloud enabled?
Do you mean AiCloud or AiProtection?

I do not use any of the opt-in features. I've had this DNS issue for years. It's only rarely intermittent. I'd say I see it once every two weeks or so, and it only last for a few seconds.