What's new

RT-AC86U PPPoE random disconnects with Virgin Valerie (Bell Canada Home Hub 3000) using Merlin 386.1_2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Arrow

Regular Contributor
Hi,

The fact that the issue is occurring at someone else's house makes this situation difficult to troubleshoot.

The Valerie modem (Home Hub 3000) never goes offline, and they're not trying to replace it.
Devices, when connected to it after removing RT-AC86U, never lose internet connectivity.

But when trying to do PPPoE passthrough and having all devices connected to RT-AC86U instead, intermittently, the RT-AC86U appears to lose PPPoE connection, and then eventually
"Timeout waiting for PADO packets" appears in syslog.

- factory reset was performed

- Skynet, amtm scripts, etc. are not installed

- tried different cat 6 cable

- on WAN page, only Username and Password are changed from defaults

- tried MAC cloning and disabling VPN + DHCP Connection, which only appeared to make the situation worse

Any thoughts? I'm considering flashing back the router back to official Asus firmware, but I'm doubtful that will make a difference.

is the modem bridged? just checking...you didn't mention. and PPPoE passthrough might not be what you think:
is the problem that they're trying to reauthenticate on the router when the modem is already authenticating the connection?

is the modem bridged?

No. No setting for bridge mode exists in the Web UI for the Valerie Hub.

You can disable DHCP, Wi-Fi, and WPS in the Hub, but that doesn't make a difference in terms of trying to fix this issue.

just checking...you didn't mention. and PPPoE passthrough might not be what you think:

They know what PPPoE passthrough is. They're trying to avoid double NAT and TCP timeout settings in the Hub.

is the problem that they're trying to reauthenticate on the router when the modem is already authenticating the connection?

The Hub retains internet connectivity when the RT-AC86U doesn't.

The RT-AC86U once was connected for 7 hours, then lost connection again. Sometimes the connection drops after 2 hours. It's random.

Previously, the RT-AC86U was used with a cable internet service provider until they switched to Virgin.
When WAN connection type was set to Automatic IP with the cable ISP, there was no problem.

Virgin is a subsidiary of Bell Canada. They both allow multiple PPPoE sessions.

Last edited:
Okay, someone private messaged me. I don't know whether I have permission to provide the user's handle yet, so I won't.
That individual said to disable VPN + DHCP Connection and also to Clone a fake MAC address.
So I told the people at the other house to do that.
PPPoE is no longer randomly disconnecting connection. That is, Asus internet status always indicates Connected.

However, doing anything online, such, as surfing becomes impossible for a few seconds. The RT-AC86U basically stops responding to requests during that time.
It eventually starts responding again.

What's odd is that that they also have another device connected to Valerie with PPPoE enabled, and it never stops working.

However, doing anything online, such, as surfing becomes impossible for a few seconds. The RT-AC86U basically stops responding to requests during that time.
It eventually starts responding again.

Would having DoS protection enabled in firewall settings explain this situation with PPPoE?

I guess this thread doesn't matter any more since that household decided to use a different router for PPPoE that works for them.
Thanks to those who tried to help.

Im using Valerie here , bridged mode ,with Asus AX88U. Yesterday was weird day, my whole system went down, and once I rebooted Valerie the WAN light kept flashing from red to yellow for a good 2 mins. Wondering if they did a firmware update.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!