What's new

[RT-AC86U] Smart Connect problem/bug?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

antony23

New Around Here
Hi,
i bought an asus RT-AC2900, a re-branded name of AC86U. I got it to install the great asuswrt-merlin fw, thanks RMerlin!
I also got it for its band steering, a feature that i would use in my home. In these days i played a lot with it, but i'm not able to get it working correctly.

I installed 384.8_2 Merlin fw.
I only set it to steer from 2.4 to 5 where RSSI grather than -80 and from 5 to 2.4 when rssi less than -85. All other stuff is disable and zero. Bounce set to 180-2-360.

I made tries with 3 clients, a smartphone 2.4 only, a pc and android TV with both 2.4 and 5Ghz bands.
What happens is this:
- if i reboot the router, i get only my pc connected to 5 Ghz. I wait a lot, even one hour, but sony android tv stays on 2.4 Ghz.
- if, at some point, i reapply smart connect rule or disconnect-reconnect the sony android tv, it connects immediately on 5Ghz.

About RSSI, i can be sure the android TV is in 65-70 dbm RSSI range. So it should steers on 5Ghz accordly on my settings.

It is a band steering bug or incompatibility problem with android device?

Last edited:
Installed 384.9_alpha2-g2ee0afa1c.
Now, no one client goes to 5Ghz at reboot.

Anyway, i'm software developer and i think this should be a simple procedure to code having all datas to check. But i read a loto of forum posts claiming it's not working good.
Maybe it's more difficult of what it seems fix this feature.

Eric could you please explain more about?

Everything wifi is closed source and outside of my control, including the entire roaming assistant code.

No idea, I never used band steering. I prefer to control where my clients connect than let it be done automatically, where some clients might not behave properly if forced to disconnect - can't predict how/where they will decide to reconnect.

I understand what do you mean, in fact it would be a great feature if we could "force" some MAC to a fixed band, and let others to steering according user settings.
But it lacks that option, and more it's not working as it should.

Just to know, but Asuswrt router's team knows it is bugged? Reading anywhere it seems this feature never worked...

Sorry if i insist, can you tell me how i can report this bug to asus?
I bought this router and this option does not work, no one can say it is not true: in wireless log i have device on 2.4Ghz with x RSSI, and according to smart connect rule it should move to 5Gghz...

Can you please tell me where i can report this? There isn't a bug trak list for asus firmware?