What's new

RT-AC86U USB connected drive access denied to Windows 10 client

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BobMCT

Regular Contributor
Hello! I've been using Merlin based ASUS routers for years now very successfully. However, recently attempting to access the USB connected external drive on the router shows as access denied. It is still accessible from my Linux systems. I've spent many hours trying to diagnose this and nothing I seem to try resolves the issue. I'm hoping someone who may have experienced this before can provide some ideas/suggestions as to what to check? I'm kind of at a stand still with this right now.
Any ideas/suggestions appreciated.
Thanks

I'm assuming you're trying to access via SMB and you've checked the settings in USB Application > Servers Centre > Network Place?

I'm assuming you're trying to access via SMB and you've checked the settings in USB Application > Servers Centre > Network Place?
Yes I have. As I mentioned it was working for years and recently - nogo! Here's a though: the message I receive is that access was denied. I try different users/pwds still without luck. When I check the connection credentials from my Linux systems I'm using the same usenames/pwds and on the same subnet. However, on the Router in config I can find no where to define allowed users. Just kind of stumped on this one. Thanks for the thought.

As I mentioned it was working for years and recently - nogo!
So what has changed? If you haven't changed the router (e.g. firmware update) and the Linux clients still work then something has changed on your PC.

However, on the Router in config I can find no where to define allowed users.
It's at the bottom of the Network Place (Samba) Share / Cloud Disk page, click on the "+" button.

Last edited:
As I mentioned it was working for years and recently - nogo! Here's a though: the message I receive is that access was denied. I try different users/pwds still without luck.
If the problem is only with Windows PC's here is a troubleshooting step. Double check the Windows Credentials Manager and remove any existing credential entries for the Asus router if any are listed, then try again. Also, Windows generally doesn't like it when one uses two or more different credentials for the same NAS, try using a single credential for all NAS share access that require username/password access on that NAS.

However, on the Router in config I can find no where to define allowed users.
Got o USB Application > Network Place (Samba) Share / Cloud Disk and see the section at the bottom of the page. You can add folders, add users, and define user permissions to folders. Example:

SambaUsers.jpg