What's new

Release RT-AC86U Version 3.0.0.4.384.82072

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

It's not pushed from the server, it's pulled by your router.

Let's call it push-pulled by our router... our network... are you listening Asus. Stop it! :)

OE

Those of us who complain about the supposed auto update are the minority of router users. I feel that it is a feature that should be welcomed to provide a bit more protection to those who just plug things in and forget them. By extension that should provide us a bit more security by trying to limit infection.

Not supposed... actual auto update. If auto updates were a good idea, there would be a user setting for it in the router webUI. Imagine that... routers and networks being automatically disrupted/disabled every few months by firmware updates gone bad.

OE

Those of us who complain about the supposed auto update are the minority of router users. I feel that it is a feature that should be welcomed to provide a bit more protection to those who just plug things in and forget them. By extension that should provide us a bit more security by trying to limit infection.
i hear ya, k but asustek has a reputation for some underhanded stuff. if u peruse wiki, you'll get a taste. from a business/personal pov, asus has some other issues with ip that i will keep confidential. i may be an owner but i''m no fan. do NOT befriend asustek - they may be out of taiwan but it's china, k.

a word to the wise, many companies exploit data and have sloppy security measures and just because it hasn't come to light does not mean it does not exist. our gov't focuses on google and facebook to name 2, simply because they're low hanging fruit. both started out small but what's too unfortunate in this country, is once success is achieved, you become a target.

For my part I really don’t care much, I’d much rather have the router updated than not BUT there should be an automatic update toggle option, let’s say update between 2 and 3am...

I just switched to 82072 from merlin 384.18. The following messages appear in the log; this is the first 24 hrs on this firmware.

Code:
Aug 23 04:41:10 WATCHDOG: [FAUPGRADE][auto_firmware_check:(6495)]retrieve firmware information
Aug 23 04:41:10 WATCHDOG: [FAUPGRADE][auto_firmware_check:(6510)]no need to upgrade firmware
Aug 23 04:41:39 WATCHDOG: [FAUPGRADE][auto_firmware_check:(6495)]retrieve firmware information
Aug 23 04:41:39 WATCHDOG: [FAUPGRADE][auto_firmware_check:(6510)]no need to upgrade firmware

I am hoping it won't be updating itself every time a new version is released.

I just switched to 82072 from merlin 384.18. The following messages appear in the log; this is the first 24 hrs on this firmware.

Code:
Aug 23 04:41:10 WATCHDOG: [FAUPGRADE][auto_firmware_check:(6495)]retrieve firmware information
Aug 23 04:41:10 WATCHDOG: [FAUPGRADE][auto_firmware_check:(6510)]no need to upgrade firmware
Aug 23 04:41:39 WATCHDOG: [FAUPGRADE][auto_firmware_check:(6495)]retrieve firmware information
Aug 23 04:41:39 WATCHDOG: [FAUPGRADE][auto_firmware_check:(6510)]no need to upgrade firmware

Those checks are normal... although the term 'auto_' is now alarming.

It remains to be seen if the firmware continues to auto update after this build.

OE

Code:

Yep...I see this in my logs as well...but mine didn't update as I ran update manually..guess will find out with next release if it does indeed auto update firmware.

Those checks are normal... although the term 'auto_' is now alarming.

It remains to be seen if the firmware continues to auto update after this build.

OE

I guess also the A in FAUPGRADE. I wouldn't mind it too much though if it's not updating all the time and just stays out of my way, not to mention keeps working reliably-which seems like a far cry for me atm.

I understand the concern regarding the auto update of the firmware given ASUS's track record of buggy releases. However, Microsoft has been doing automated, unsolicited, updates of our Windows computers for the longest time (Patch Tuesday; the second Tuesday of each month).

For each of us on here on the SNB forum who monitor and manage our firmware releases, there are likely hundreds (thousands?) of users who pay no attention to such things, and have never updated their routers. For them, the automated update of their firmware could keep them from being being hacked as new CVEs are documented.

I believe the best approach would be to default to an auto-update paradigm, but allow those who actively manage their routers to opt out via a checkbox in the GUI. Of course, this would necessitate the ability to update firmware without the need for a factory reset upon doing so.

Maybe it's old news (or it was already present on previous stock firmwares), but I can connect to Samba share with SMB v2 (2.002).. thought it was possible on Merlin only.

I notice the Network Place (SAMBA) Share tab still states:

"Note: If you are using Windows® 10, use this FAQ to enable SMBv1 Client to ensure you have access to files stored within the network."

OE

Connection from my MacBook Pro.. as reported by smbutil.

SERVER_NAME RT-AC86U-73D0.local
USER_ID 501
SMB_NEGOTIATE SMBV_NEG_SMB1_ENABLED
SMB_NEGOTIATE SMBV_NEG_SMB2_ENABLED
SMB_NEGOTIATE SMBV_NEG_SMB3_ENABLED
SMB_VERSION SMB_2.002
SMB_SHARE_TYPE DISK
SIGNING_SUPPORTED TRUE
EXTENDED_SECURITY_SUPPORTED TRUE
LARGE_FILE_SUPPORTED TRUE
FILE_IDS_SUPPORTED TRUE

I notice the Network Place (SAMBA) Share tab still states:

"Note: If you are using Windows® 10, use this FAQ to enable SMBv1 Client to ensure you have access to files stored within the network."

OE

Asus switched to Samba 3.6.25 and enabled SMB2 support a few revisions ago.

Connection from my MacBook Pro.. as reported by smbutil.

SERVER_NAME RT-AC86U-73D0.local
USER_ID 501
SMB_NEGOTIATE SMBV_NEG_SMB1_ENABLED
SMB_NEGOTIATE SMBV_NEG_SMB2_ENABLED
SMB_NEGOTIATE SMBV_NEG_SMB3_ENABLED
SMB_VERSION SMB_2.002
SMB_SHARE_TYPE DISK
SIGNING_SUPPORTED TRUE
EXTENDED_SECURITY_SUPPORTED TRUE
LARGE_FILE_SUPPORTED TRUE
FILE_IDS_SUPPORTED TRUE

Can you comment... do USB storage folders/shares behave differently/better/more like native Windows? For instance, I could not drag and drop into a root shared folder using SMBv1, which is annoying when you can do that in Windows.

(I see you are using a Mac.)

OE

Last edited:
I understand the concern regarding the auto update of the firmware given ASUS's track record of buggy releases. However, Microsoft has been doing automated, unsolicited, updates of our Windows computers for the longest time (Patch Tuesday; the second Tuesday of each month).

For each of us on here on the SNB forum who monitor and manage our firmware releases, there are likely hundreds (thousands?) of users who pay no attention to such things, and have never updated their routers. For them, the automated update of their firmware could keep them from being being hacked as new CVEs are documented.

I believe the best approach would be to default to an auto-update paradigm, but allow those who actively manage their routers to opt out via a checkbox in the GUI. Of course, this would necessitate the ability to update firmware without the need for a factory reset upon doing so.

I was VPN'ed into work running a backup of a 2TB database at the time it decided to update on me (5pm EDT). Fortunately the process I used spawned a separate thread and it continued anyway without my session, so I just had to review some logs to confirm it completed. If I had happened to be running a big update transaction, it would have been killed and would rollback, making a mess of things. (But for big, long running updates I generally would remote into a server for safety if the Internet dropped on me for any reason.)

Can you comment... do USB storage folders/shares behave differently/better/more like native Windows? For instance, I could not drag and drop into a root shared folder using SMBv1, which is annoying when you can do that in Windows.

(I see you are using a Mac.)

OE

Drag and drop works here without problems - I connect to router's smb share in Finder (Connect to Server, ⌘K), it opens a new window and I can drag and drop files to it (and starts copying).. using OS X Mojave.

My AC88U has just auto updated overnight for a second time to 20631, I had previously reverted to 20490 as I was experiencing reduced wifi coverage and disruptions numerous times a day, WLCEVENTD reconnects every 2 seconds on an Echo plus which sits about 10 feet from the router and the portLinkStatus messages. With a home worker currently present in the house a stable Internet/Wi-fi is a MUST. I am absoultely furious at a a so called professional company could implement such a rule with no regard to its userbase requirements. n.b. (Microsoft updates can be stopped). I cannot spend any time on it this evening so ill have to put up with this for another day at least. Plus not sure how i will deal with this as yet , Merlin firmware, block ASUS , order replacement for Asus from Amazon.

Drag and drop works here without problems - I connect to router's smb share in Finder (Connect to Server, ⌘K), it opens a new window and I can drag and drop files to it (and starts copying).. using OS X Mojave.

I think my issue may be a Windows 10 network Share issue.

I should've bought a Mac! :)

OE

Well apparently this is not new.. found this thread from 2018. Also appears this router has been specifically "blessed" with this setting.
So merlin fw is not stable with my internet connection (apparently, still testing stock) and stock wont wait for me to install an update. Awesome!

Well apparently this is not new.. found this thread from 2018. Also appears this router has been specifically "blessed" with this setting.
So merlin fw is not stable with my internet connection (apparently, still testing stock) and stock wont wait for me to install an update. Awesome!

Auto updating comes and goes, presumably as required by Asus. I recall only the 2018 instance you linked and this current instance. An earlier post in this thread says it was enabled in 81992. It may already be disabled in the current 82072(?). You might be able to install a firmware prior to 81992 and not experience an auto update... 81858 has good for my basic configuration.

OE

Auto updating comes and goes, presumably as required by Asus. I recall only the 2018 instance you linked and this current instance. An earlier post in this thread says it was enabled in 81992. It may already be disabled in the current 82072(?). You might be able to install a firmware prior to 81992 and not experience an auto update... 81858 has good for my basic configuration.

OE

Can the A in FAUPGRADE or auto be an indication of any such setting? :)

[FAUPGRADE][auto_firmware_check:(6510)]no need to upgrade firmware

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!