What's new

RT-AC86U vs RT-AX86S The difference except WiFi6 and half the Price?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Boorock70

Occasional Visitor
As a long-term, over 7yrs RT-AC68U user I'm happy with my beloved device. Still not have any problems at all.
But I'm highly interested in the newer models... but I really couldn't get the difference between RT-AC86U (older model) and the newest RT-AX86S "except" WiFi6 ?
Both of them got 1.8Ghz dual-core processors and 256 MB Flash + 512 MB RAM !
Actually, I'm not interested in AX (WiFi6) because of the lower wall-penetration specs. So, I can go with AC(WiFi5) without any hesitation.

So, what do you think?
- Should I go with the newest RT-AX86S (WiFi6) or buy the RT-AC86U(WiFi5) for the "half price" ( in my region) ? :rolleyes:

RT-AC68U、RT-AC86U、RT-AX86U Product different Compare|ASUS Global

The current AX routers have excellent (i.e. much better) WiFi 5 performance than even the best WiFi 5 routers from many years ago (including the RT-AC86U, which has been dethroned for a while now). WiFi 5 and WiFi 6 have the same range. I think you're getting confused by WiFi 6E products (which are not recommended today), but still offer comparable range and even higher throughput. The upper, frequency range, of WiFi 5 is right next to WiFi 6E too, so there is effectively no downside there either in real-world use.

In your situation, you may want to consider the RT-AX68U instead if the price is closer to your budget (and it should be much closer to the lessor RT-AC86U too).

What the specifications may not indicate is that the RF designs of the AX routers are noticeably improved and include the latest SDKs. Which both help to give better throughput and a lower latency experience for everything on the network.

Report - 2x RT-AX68U upgrade over 2x RT-AC86U in wireless backhaul mode

Report - 2x RT-AX68U upgrade - Followup questions/answers

Note that the RT-AX86U has the potential for double the throughput with appropriate devices (and/or better range) because of the 4x4:4 design. But it doesn't sound that is needed in your situation today. But do note that the RT-AX68U is 'only' 3x3:3.

The RT-AX68U will be a tremendous upgrade over an 'original' RT-AC68U powered network. And it will have the same CPU, RAM, and flash as the RT-AX86S model too. The only logical step up today from the RT-AX68U would be the 'full' RT-AX86U.

Hope this helps.

Best to toss a coin to decide. I have both an AX86U and an AC86U as well as an AC66U_B1. I use the AX86U for my home WIFI and it is a beast! The AC86U is loaned out to a deserving family. No doubt the AX86S would do as well for me and it does cost less than an AX86U today (the AX86S now costs as much as I paid for my AX86U).
My only concern with the AC86U is that it is still sitting on firmware from last July while most of the Asus routers have gotten upgrades. There were overheating concerns with the AC86U, at one time, that were fixed but I wonder if there are some other problems that we are not getting upgrades.

Both of them got 1.8Ghz dual-core processors and 256 MB Flash + 512 MB RAM !

More RAM installed doesn't mean more RAM available. Both AC86U and older AC68U have roughly the same RAM available after boot. Both can run the same scripts in Asuswrt-Merlin. I would pass on AC86U because of bad reliability history, the fact it was the first ever Asus HND router, it's >4-years old now and usually gets updates slower, even after much older AC68U variants. I don't see big Wi-Fi performance difference between AC66U_B1, AC68U, AC1900P and AC86U to common 2-stream client. AC86U has better range and holds faster link speeds, but AC68U is much more trusted and reliable router. If your ISP line is up to 400Mbps, your AC68U is still good - save your money.

If you can afford it then buy the RT-AX86U. It will future proof you for a few years. The RT-AC86U is already older technology. I bought the AX86U and retired the AC86U. I keep it up to date as a backup.

Bit of a hijack.

The AX86S is on offer in the UK at the minute for £139. Whilst the AX86U is still around £250.

Tempted to upgrade the AC86U to the AX86S?

For that kind of price difference, it should be an excellent upgrade for you.

Look what a single RT-AX68U can do in the right environment, over 2x RT-AC86Us.

Report - 2x RT-AX68U upgrade over 2x RT-AC86U in wireless backhaul mode
Yeah I was thinking, whilst it's not the full fat AX86U, it's still a decent upgrade to the AC86U, which I've had for around 4 years now.

I've got more 5ghz devices, more wifi6 devices. Techs moved on a fair bit in that time too.

Saying that, the AC86U still works really well!

I'll mull it over!

Edit: It's the AX86s. Not the AX68 like you mention in your post?

Saying that, the AC86U still works really well!

If your AC86U is working well, you are going to spend £139 on AX86S for mostly theoretical improvements. AC Wave 2 in AC86U can do 550Mbps to common 2-stream AC client. How many of your new AX devices are phones/tablets and what more they are going to do with 800Mbps compared to 550Mbps? Both routers have the same CPU, RAM and ports available. The routing and VPN performance is also the same.

By the way, don't buy AX68U. Don't believe "customer" stories. Better see this, from real AX68U users:

@Jbennett360, yes the RT-AX86s should perform better than the RT-AX68U in my posts.

And the improvements are not theoretical. If the performance doesn't measure up to what you need (to justify spending £139), simply return it.

The improvements are not just better ('full' use of your ISP), but also greater range and greater throughput at the outskirts of your coverage area. In addition to an improved SDK, kernel and other benefits 'under the hood'.

And none of my customers have seen the 5GHz band dropping with their RT-AX68U, contrary to what a few have reported online, and they're real RT-AX68U users too. Btw, the RT-AX68U is very popular here because the RT-AX86U (the obviously superior router) is in such short supply (again).

And none of my customers have seen the 5GHz

No "customers" report no issues, obviously.

One of the bugs was actually reproduced by Asus:

You have posted this AX68U "customer" story 101 times since Oct 2021. Time to generate a new one, no? ;)

No need for a different example when one is as good as that one is.

Not only do I have customers for network infrastructure that includes Asus products, but I am also using them myself, daily.

A far cry from your non-involvement and indirect ('lab') experience.

Tbh. I wasnt even thinking of the AX68U.

If I were to upgrade or look for something new it would either be the AX86U or the AX86S.

I can't see how the AX86U is worth the extra £120 over the AX86S. (At the current offer price - £139 vs £259)

The 2.5 port is all well and good but that needs a device with a 2.5 port. Only other change is CPU and RAM, which I can't see making a huge difference.

I mean. The AC86U cost me £180 in 2018!

Last edited:
The AX86s arrived and prompted me to do an update. The FW on the router is newer than what's listed on the site for the AX86U/AX86S.

Looks to be version - 3.0.0.4.386_48377

Last edited:
The AX86s arrived and prompted me to do an update. The FW on the router is newer than what's listed on the site for the AX86U/AX86S.

Looks to be version - 3.0.0.4.386_48377
Wow, that was good timing. That version was released today.

Version 3.0.0.4.386.48377

2022/04/11 77.05 MBytes

ASUS RT-AX86 Series(RT-AX86U/RT-AX86S) Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.48377
1. Fixed OpenSSL CVE-2022-0778
2. Fixed CVE-2021-34174
3. Added more security measures to block malware.
4. Fixed Stored XSS vulnerability. Thanks to Milan Kyselica of IstroSec.
5. Fixed CVE-2022-23970, CVE-2022-23971, CVE-2022-23972, CVE-2022-23973, CVE-2022-25595, CVE-2022-25596, CVE-2022-25597
6. Added 3rd party DNS server list in WAN --> DNS to help users enhance the connection security.

Please unzip the firmware file first then check the MD5 code.
MD5: 15c9e85f7e1999f8f44ed46e76cb865d

Bought one. Will see what it's like when it arrives
How's it performing?
I have the good old AC68U and wanted to upgrade to AX86S. I too have been reading lots of comparisons between the ax86s and ax86u and cant find a reason to justify the almost 100€ price difference..
I have lots of devices at home, mostly iot and homeassistant related, and wanted to ensure a solid upgrade to my current setup.

How's it performing?
I have the good old AC68U and wanted to upgrade to AX86S. I too have been reading lots of comparisons between the ax86s and ax86u and cant find a reason to justify the almost 100€ price difference..
I have lots of devices at home, mostly iot and homeassistant related, and wanted to ensure a solid upgrade to my current setup.
Yeah excellent. There's a massive difference in 5ghz performance.

On a 400 down fibre, laptop in the same position.

AC86U - 130/150
AX86S - 300-375

Coverage seems a littler better too

The AX86S is currently on sale in my country (around €125; the "full" AX86U is around €280).

Am I right that it does not make sense for me to buy this model?

Current situation:
  • AC86U router (covering most of my house; only a few blind spots in the kitchen and the entrance)
  • Only AC (or "worse") wireless devices (iPhone, iPad, MacBook Pro), no AX devices (as far as I know) yet
  • 1 Gbs fiber (reaching around 900/900 Mbps over a wire)
  • Might buy newer iPhone, iPad, and/or MacBook in the autumn or next year
  • No NAS or other devices that might benefit from a 2.5 Gbps port

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!