What's new

[RT-AC87R & ERL-3] Setup as AP - features preserved/lost

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

klehmann_snb

New Around Here
Hi guys,

This is my first post in this super forum. I've been a regular reader for a good year or so.

I'm using the RT-AC87R with feature-rich RMerlin's fw. 376.48_1 and have gone through a succession of these since the first for this model. In fact i bought this model in particular as compared to competition (NetGear, Linksys etc) for running his fw. hence never even tried it with stock ditto. I havent experienced any 'real' issues except for some (rather frustrating, admittedly) NAT loopback ones, LED on/offs and the occassional odd errors in the syslog which i've 'solved' by reading through numerous posts here. Ok, so I also haven't really been pushing any of its in-built more advanced options yet as not to dismiss any of the other good online posters on this fourum current/past experiences/grievances. I really didn't expect it to be an easy ride going in as early adopter with a new product like this. I suspect its in order with a big 'Thank You, RMerlin' for making this hard work of yours available to the community!:)

Anyways (pheew), I have a rather 'simple' question which i suspect someone here will find very easy to answer. I could not find anything conclusive by searching.... Perhaps it's even common knowledge? I've since aquired an ERL-3 router since i felt a need to 'split up' my units rather than going'all-in-one' and so, for now, wish to use the AC87 as an AP. It will be hooked up to a Zyxel GS1900-8HP managed POE+ switch (nice little unit although a bit 'sluggish' GUI-wise). I really wish i could power the AC87 from there but dont suspect thats possible - even with some magical ac-variable injector since the unit itself isn't POE-aware??? Ok, thats a bit of a sidetrack for now... My main question is; Will I loose any of the extra functionalities such as AIprotection, rich USB features, AIcloud, scripting abilities from jffs partition, VPN server, QoS and what not? I'm aware that the internal switch will be still available for direct use but am not gonna make use of this but would certainly love to still pull logs to attached USB key and also have the Trend Micro assets available for general wifi protection.

I know my post got hmmm, rather long here but that's a known 'weakness' of mine - please bear with me;-) Thanks for taking the time needed to read through and hopefully someone with relevant knowledge at hand will answer...

Best, klehmann_snb.

My main question is; Will I loose any of the extra functionalities such as AIprotection, rich USB features, AIcloud, scripting abilities from jffs partition, VPN server, QoS and what not?

When running an Asus as access point, you will loose AIprotection, AIcloud, VPNserver, Firewall, and QOS. The only things that remain are Jffs and USB features.

When running an Asus as access point, you will loose AIprotection, AIcloud, VPNserver, Firewall, and QOS. The only things that remain are Jffs and USB features.
Hey paraplu,
Thanks for the info - appreciate it.
Too bad that the VPNserver-part will be 'gone' by going AP-only; really don't quite understand why it would need to be like that (???), but I'm glad to know my options before going this route.... Will have to run my own VPN-server from NAS I guess although its a bit of a bummer to have that one running 24/7... Configuring blocklists, QoS etc is gonna be a bitch on the ERL-3 comp to the AC87 via GUI but thats the way its gonna be i suppose.... Thanks again for taking Your time!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!