What's new

RT-AC87R (u) problems?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dfran1

Hi all,
I just purchased the RT-AC87R yesterday and installed merlin's firmware.

Issues that I am having
1. USB 3.0 (front) is dropping its connection while I stream, I will test further but so far my samsung TV is showing this problem, USB 2.0 is working great for streaming?

2. I can not see my DVR on my android phone while connected to my wifi 5 or 2.4 (either external ip or internal does not matter), BUT I shut wifi down on the phone and it works great?
Note: this worked great on my RT-AC68R and 66 prior.

Now for the dumb question, How to properly reset this router, I did it on my old router RT-AC68R by holding the top side button then plugging power in and keeping it held for 60 seconds (it was not the reset button)?

Thank You ALL and THANK YOU MERLIN!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Can't help with your USB issues as I don't bother with them. But as far as reset you simply hold down the reset button for 15 to 20 seconds and release that will clear NVRAM and clear all set data returning the router to factory default.

Can't help with your USB issues as I don't bother with them. But as far as reset you simply hold down the reset button for 15 to 20 seconds and release that will clear NVRAM and clear all set data returning the router to factory default.

I did it this way all the time on my 68 and did it for this 87 also, but was wondering if this is still a better way? or is your way better or the same??:confused:

to reset the NVRAM via the WPS button to see if it helps.

Clearing the NVRAM

1. After the router has completed booting up (stable led lights for wireless), power off the RT-AC68U.
2. While holding the WPS button, turn on the RT-AC68U.
3. Keep holding on to the WPS button for at least 30 (I do 60) seconds before releasing it. The router should reboot once you release the WPS button.
4. After the router has completed booting up, http://192.168.1.1 using the default credentials (user: admin, password: admin).

The way I mentioned was told to me by Asus support I have always done it this way and never had issues with resets. As always YMMV !

The way I mentioned was told to me by Asus support I have always done it this way and never had issues with resets. As always YMMV !

Thank You!!!!:)

Also my #2 problem is fixed with the newest official Asus firmware (I just set up another RT-AC87R for my brother and used the newest official firmware).

Hopefully my #1 problem will go away and the second when Merlin releases an update with the newest asus firmware in place.
Thank You Merlin!!!

Edit: Just for all interested in the RT-AC87R (U) , wifi is a good better than my RT-AC68R was ever, and that roter was great but this new one brings it to an all time High, I now have great wifi in areas that the 68 could just barely do (and sometimes would lose it).

5GHz is everywhere inside, and not only that when I woke up this morning, I was getting strong 5GHz where it was weak last night, like there was a direct beam to my device and router very weird but pleasing to see, hopefully it keeps happening.:)

Last edited:
Hi all,
I just purchased the RT-AC87R yesterday and installed merlin's firmware.

Issues that I am having
1. USB 3.0 (front) is dropping its connection while I stream, I will test further but so far my samsung TV is showing this problem, USB 2.0 is working great for streaming?

2. I can not see my DVR on my android phone while connected to my wifi 5 or 2.4 (either external ip or internal does not matter), BUT I shut wifi down on the phone and it works great?
Note: this worked great on my RT-AC68R and 66 prior.

Now for the dumb question, How to properly reset this router, I did it on my old router RT-AC68R by holding the top side button then plugging power in and keeping it held for 60 seconds (it was not the reset button)?

Thank You ALL and THANK YOU MERLIN!!!!!!!!

All problems are gone with latest merlin software RT-AC87U_3.0.0.4_376.45_0 !!!! everything is perfect on my RT-AC87R now!!! :)

THANK YOU MERLIN!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: I spoke too soon, problem #1 is still there but so far only tested thru WIFI on a Samsung TV

edit 2: usb 3 front port seems it may be fine, the problem seems to be loosing connection to the router, but my tv is still connected to 5ghz?

edit: I finally fully tested everything I use with the latest alfa from merlin and everything in working. THANK YOU Merlin!!!!!!!!!! version RT-AC87U_3.0.0.4_376.46_alpha1

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!