What's new

What settings can be tried without causing problems?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BGood

Regular Contributor
Having had to just do a factory reset of my GT-AX11000 running Merlin 388.2_2, I'm now in a holding pattern. I was warned about turning settings on and that some won't really turn back off. Is there a list anywhere of settings that won't probably return to "off"?

I might want to try the AI Protection or the Adaptive QoS, but I'm now leery that one wrong move will require a reset of the router. I'm also debating whether to try again to set up AIMesh. My coverage is pretty good without it, except in a small number of places at the edges of my home. It almost seems like the coverage is better overall after the factory reset with no AIMesh than it was with AIMesh. Maybe I just leave well enough alone?

Anyway, if there's a list of features that won't correctly turn off, I would love to see that. Alternately, can I back up my configuration, try a feature, reset the router (not factory reset), and reload the configuration for an easy recovery?

Thanks

Anyway, if there's a list of features that won't correctly turn off, I would love to see that.

I know about some, but unlikely to be a problem for general router setup and perhaps model specific.

Alternately, can I back up my configuration, try a feature, reset the router (not factory reset), and reload the configuration for an easy recovery?

Yes, do minimal configuration and save your settings. Reset and restore if something goes wrong after.

but I'm now leery that one wrong move will require a reset of the router

You don't need to reset your router after trying TrendMicro related options. You may need to reboot only.

My coverage is pretty good without it, except in a small number of places at the edges of my home.

Better home configuration is single router in central location. This is how AIO routers are designed to work.

@BGood, there is no such list that I know of. And the setting that may not be affected on its own may be affected if another setting/feature is used first/after too.

The following link details how to quickly get your router back to a stable, reliable, and good/known state. Even if it was originally written for a member that wanted to 'test' a new firmware 'safely', and with minimal downtime if the latest firmware proved unstable for them.

And to get you to that good/known state in the first place:

Last edited:
The only settings that should be "tried" are those you understand the consequences of, or that you have been advised. Some settings may lock, so enabling and disabling a setting may not truly disable it.
As advised above, backup, backup, backup.......
And if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Some settings may lock, so enabling and disabling a setting may not truly disable it.

Have you encountered examples of such behavior?

Anyway, if there's a list of features that won't correctly turn off, I would love to see that. Alternately, can I back up my configuration, try a feature, reset the router (not factory reset), and reload the configuration for an easy recovery?

Feel free to try any settings you want... it's your network. And be prepared to Hard Reset and configure from scratch once you feel you have a working configuration... save this firmware version-specific configuration to file to restore to the router after a Hard Reset of the same firmware version, to recover this working configuration after experimentation or whatever.

FW Reset FAQ

Reset button/webUI Restore/node removal - clears settings in NVRAM; reboot restores fw defaults from CFE

Hard Reset via WPS button/webUI Restore+Initialize - also clears data logged in /jffs partition

OE

Okay, I get the message. I'll close the door quietly as I leave, so as not to upset anyone else.

Okay, I get the message. I'll close the door quietly as I leave, so as not to upset anyone else.
Upsetting the cone heads is a normal routine in this forum. We all have our prejudices and preferences. The one constant recommendation is to do a minimal setup and take a backup to make it easier to start over. And that is a practice I do not do as I can reset and configure my router in a few minutes.