What's new

RT-AC88U alternative

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wyliec2

Occasional Visitor
I've had an RT-AC88U for a couple of years - it replace an RT-N66U. Over the past year I have used both of them with the AC88 as the primary router/WAN connection and the N66 as an AP.

Recently the AC88 has begun acting up - losing both 2.4 and 5 Ghz wireless (hardwired keeps working). With multiple power resets (the CPU shows 100% and I cannot perform any action with the web GUI) it will eventually restart and show normal (minimal) CPU activity. Twice when I have gotten it working, I haven't had wireless and I've found both radios disabled in the configuration - turning them back on restores normality until the next 'event'.

In searching here, it seems the AC88 has a checkered reputation for wireless stability.

Is there a recommendation for replacement??
> I like the AC88 wifi performance when it works
> We have limited 5G activity - iphones and Alexa devices. No video streaming (all done wired)/ no gaming.
> Have an extensive number of 'smart home' devices on the 2.4G band. I moved security cameras from 2.4 to hardwired.
> Typically have around 70 total clients.

The recent experience indicates I need a backup available - my thought is to relegate the current AC88 to an on-the-shelf backup and get a new primary router - just not sure what current thought is for a solid, high-performance device.

TIA for any suggestions.
Wyatt

The RT-AC88U wifi in general is pretty reliable. I used an RT-AC88U as my main router for quite some time, with zero issue.

If you have issues with both bands, then I suspect it's a hardware issue. Asus routers are covered by at least two years (I believe some countries even get three years), so check the state of your warranty, and proceed with a replacement request with Asus if it's still covered.

While the RT-AX88U is a great router, I can't advise people to pay for one right now, as it's quite expensive, and provides little improvements right now.

The RT-AC88U wifi in general is pretty reliable. I used an RT-AC88U as my main router for quite some time, with zero issue.

If you have issues with both bands, then I suspect it's a hardware issue. Asus routers are covered by at least two years (I believe some countries even get three years), so check the state of your warranty, and proceed with a replacement request with Asus if it's still covered.

While the RT-AX88U is a great router, I can't advise people to pay for one right now, as it's quite expensive, and provides little improvements right now.

Thanks for that info - I thought the AC88U was a good unit when I bought it!

I had rearranged the networking in my basement and had populated most of the gigabit ports on the AC88U so there was a lot of switch traffic that was neither wireless or WAN directed. I've since moved most of that back to a separate switch and will just use the AC88U for wireless and WAN connectivity to see if that improves stability.

Hi.
I use an ASUS RT-AC88U cascaded to my provider's modem.
Modem my provider 192.168.1.1 all disabled, RT-AC88U 192.168.0.1 cascaded with DHCP enabled and WiFi.
Now for WiFi problems I want to put another ASUS router (I thought of an RT-AC86U, what do you think?) but having a single 192.168.0.1 network made up of 2 ASUS routers.
How should I connect and configure it?
Should it always be connected to the provider's modem or ...?
Thanks! ;)

use 86U as master router and 88U as mesh node (LAN to WAN) or AP (same) or in repeater mode (WLAN to WLAN).
Why is the 86U the main, better than the 88U?
The 88U as a main makes me comfortable because it has 8 doors.
Could you give me more precise info on the configuration?

much newer and faster hardware, essentially if you use VPN and want speeds upto 200Mb/s.

as you could see its AX (!!!) wifi-6, 86U still AC wifi-5, but imo not worth the price, up to you, or use a small switch for more LAN poorts.

$155 Newegg or Amazon. I don't see any Black Friday stuff coming up.

$155 Newegg or Amazon. I don't see any Black Friday stuff coming up.
One question: I've seen that there are cheaper models of ASUS routers (RT-AC53, RT-AC57U, RT AC58U, etc.) that are not compatible with Merlin.
Is the interface not similar to the more expensive ASUSs?