What's new

RT-AC88U can login to main GUI but not Download Master

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Magnus_SL

Occasional Visitor
This is a weird problem. I have been using Asus routers for decades but this problem I cannot solve. I hope one of you experts out there could give some advice.

Recently I cannot login to the Download Master page either by clicking the link within the main GUI which directs me to http://192.168.1.1:8081/downloadmaster/task.asp or if I go there directly. I have tried Edge, Firefox, Chrome and three different computers, wireless and with cable. All I get from the Download Master login in screen is "invalid username and password". The funny thing is that it is no problem to login to the main GUI at 192.168.1.1 with the chosen credentials. And what is really weird is that I can access the USB-disk attached to the router by submitting the credentials which I use to the main gui. But I simply cannot access the Download Master interface.
I have disabled / enabled the DM, deinstalled/reinstalled it and also changed USB harddrive. Same problem, invalid username and password. I cannot get my head around this error. I have tried to update the DM but the typical Asus message "Remote Server Not Responding" is shown.

My Router firmware is Asus original 3.0.0.4.385_20630
The DM version is Asus original ver. 3.1.0.101

I have no other quirks or tweaks running on the router. Stock firmware only.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

When you say "Recently" - would that be as soon as your router firmware was upgraded to a .385 version?
I've never used the Download Master feature and not familiar with how it works, so this is just a guess, but the main router password is stored encrypted as of .385_ , so it wouldn't surprise me if they broke compatibility with however Download Master authenticates.

Hopefully someone who knows more than me will be along soon, but given that with the first 385 release pushed out to RT-AC88U users, Asus hadn't even tested the slightly more common and critical use case of "Can https users log in after a restart?", it doesn't seem too much of a stretch that they haven't regression tested Download Master.

Hmm Looks like I have the same issue with Download Master ver. 9.1.0.101
Actually it did work before. Deleting and reinstalling did not help (even deleting the folder in the HDD did not help)
Changing the firmware neither.. interesting..
Only test i need to make is checking HDD for errors and or Hard Format everything

Hi Guys!
I figured out how to fix the problem.

First, reset router to factory defaults (Maybe not necessary);
Remove USB attached driver;
Attach another external HD to Router's USB;
Install Download Master and check if it works (I could not install into a pen drive, not sure why);
Attach old HD and New HD to a computer;
Delete folders .asusware.arm and Download2 from old HD;
Copy and paste same folders from New HD to old HD;
Plug old HD back to Asus router and thanks me!!!

I believe it's not necessary to reset router to factory defaults. I did it, but I believe it was not necessary.

Hope it works!

Hi Guys!
I figured out how to fix the problem.

First, reset router to factory defaults (Maybe not necessary);
Remove USB attached driver;
Attach another external HD to Router's USB;
Install Download Master and check if it works (I could not install into a pen drive, not sure why);
Attach old HD and New HD to a computer;
Delete folders .asusware.arm and Download2 from old HD;
Copy and paste same folders from New HD to old HD;
Plug old HD back to Asus router and thanks me!!!

I believe it's not necessary to reset router to factory defaults. I did it, but I believe it was not necessary.

Hope it works!
HI Julio,

Great you fixed the issue
In fact, I believe the issue is on the folder 'asusware.arm'
By deleting all en replacing all the folders you've mentioned, it did work, no factory reset required

have a great day, all !

I recently got a TR AC86U, and unfortunately encountered exactly the same issue. I tried many ways, did not work, including the one mentioned by jcjulio. In the end it was fixed, after I changed the router operation mode. The router was set to router mode by default, but actually I was using it as second router on the second floor, by connecting it to the main router with LAN, not WAN, because I want to group all devices in the same subnet. I noticed that even tough all my devices can access internet, but the router is showing no internet, because WAN is not plunged, then it can not update firmware. I was thinking it might be relevant. Therefore, I change it to AP mode, and reinstall the download master, and it worked eventually.

Ok I was lucky to find asusware files with old download manager from old hdd and it seems to work after coping it to new HDD. For others with the same problem:
I think it was 9.1.0.101 version bug because now I use 3.x.

Last edited:
not working for me. it doesn't launch onto DM GUI page. Manual key in the IP will give 'refused to connect page.'

Any other workarounds? Asus AX86U
It is from AC series so could be different. Tested on AC86 and AC1900. Maybe somene with AX could upload his files.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!