What's new

RT-AC88U Randomly Drops 5GHz Frequency

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

David B

Regular Contributor
For the last few months, I have been struggling with the 5GHz frequency on my RT-AC88U router randomly dropping off. I've tried everything imaginable to fix the problem including:

• Setting the 5GHz frequency to use a specific channel bandwidth
  • Setting a specific channel for the 5GHz frequency
  • Turning MU-MIMO on and off
  • Changing the beam-forming settings
  • Disabling the 5GHz frequency on my ACRH13 which I have set up as an access point

I only installed Merlin on my AC88U on Monday, and everything was fine until about 30 minutes ago. I had to leave my house for about 20 minutes, and when I came back, 5 was dead again but as always, the 5GHz LED on the router was still on.

There are a few interesting things about the problem that I am having:
  • Most of the time, the 5GHz frequency drops in the late evening hours, although that is not always the case, and it is not the case this time either.
  • The drops seem to occur less frequently now that I have disabled the 5GHz frequency on my ACRH13.

Does anybody have any idea what is going on? I've read a ton of things about how to fix the problem, but nothing that I have tried has stopped it from happening. I do not know if this is significant, but I never had the 5GHz frequency on my ACRH13 drop.

how much other 5ghz routers are in your area? I noticed that this router the 2.4ghz is whats the best, any other routers step over the 5ghz pretty hard for me.

Make sure you aren't using a DFS channel, which can cause you to get kicked off it. Usually, the system log should mention when that happens.

Make sure you aren't using a DFS channel, which can cause you to get kicked off it. Usually, the system log should mention when that happens.
What is a DFS channel? I currently have the router set to automatically select the channel.

I have been having similar problems where the 5Ghz network would die completely and require a restart. Adding a small laptop cooler under the router helped because I found my temperatures in excess of 90°C. I still get signal drops which becomes annoying when I'm streaming audio wirelessly from Roku via the mobile app but at least it's not a complete failure requiring intervention. I'm hoping a future firmware may improve things with newer drivers but for now I'm trying to live with it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

@RMerlin, from what I understand of the RT-AC88U, it does not support DFS channels, so I do not know if that is an issue. What should I be looking for in the logs? I always check it before rebooting but I never see anything noteworthy. I actually had given up on this for a while because I didn't have any drops until today during which I had 4.

@RMerlin, from what I understand of the RT-AC88U, it does not support DFS channels, so I do not know if that is an issue. What should I be looking for in the logs? I always check it before rebooting but I never see anything noteworthy. I actually had given up on this for a while because I didn't have any drops until today during which I had 4.

RT-AC88U does support DFS channels if you live in a region that requires it, like Europe.

System Log usually shows when the router had to back off from a DFS channel due to radar detection.

RT-AC88U does support DFS channels if you live in a region that requires it, like Europe.

System Log usually shows when the router had to back off from a DFS channel due to radar detection.
@RMerlin I live in the United States so it looks like I am among the countries that require it. So what should I do to stop this? Is there some way that I can block the DFS channels and still leave the router on automatic or do I have no choice other than to set a specific channel? I do not see DFS channels available for selection when I look at the channel selection drop down menu.

Last edited:
@RMerlin I live in the United States so it looks like I am among the countries that require it. So what should I do to stop this?

No, Asus does not support DFS channels in the US, only in Europe where they lack access to the higher channels (140-160).

In your case, test with both a low-numbered channel and a high-numbered one. Some people have different experiences with the two bands.

Might be worth checking the temperature under Tools -> Sysinfo. Also, consider doing a factory default reset and reconfiguring everything from scratch.

I use an RT-AC88U myself as my main router, and its wifi is rock solid for me.

No, Asus does not support DFS channels in the US, only in Europe where they lack access to the higher channels (140-160).

In your case, test with both a low-numbered channel and a high-numbered one. Some people have different experiences with the two bands.

Might be worth checking the temperature under Tools -> Sysinfo. Also, consider doing a factory default reset and reconfiguring everything from scratch.

I use an RT-AC88U myself as my main router, and its wifi is rock solid for me.
I do not know if temperature is the problem because I keep a cooling fan running under the router at all times. Here's what the temperature report is for all components.

ieS9rhi.png

Prior to making this post, I had just dropped off again so I used WiFiAnalyzer to pick a channel. It looks like most of the 5GHz channels around me are open, so I chose the lowest option: 36. I will report back if I experience another drop.

Well since making my last post in this topic, I've only dropped off twice, and both of those times were after I put a box fan on top of the router after my previous fan died. Prior to that, I had not had any drops since posting. Since I suspected that the box fan was responsible for interfering with the signal in some way, I removed it, and it has not dropped off since.

Well since making my last post in this topic, I've only dropped off twice, and both of those times were after I put a box fan on top of the router after my previous fan died. Prior to that, I had not had any drops since posting. Since I suspected that the box fan was responsible for interfering with the signal in some way, I removed it, and it has not dropped off since.
On the other thread, the solution was to drop the channel bandwidth from 80mhz to 40mhz.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/random-net-loss-5g-going-down.37657/page-5

I've just come back from rebooting my router after experiencing a drop-off. I checked the channel graph on the WiFiAnalyzer app and it seems that all of the networks that I saw before, which were occupying the channels in the 149-165 range, have moved to the 36-64 range where I set my router. I moved my router to 165. Let's see what happens this time.

On the other thread, the solution was to drop the channel bandwidth from 80mhz to 40mhz.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/random-net-loss-5g-going-down.37657/page-5
I currently have my router's channel bandwidth set to 20/40/80. I tried setting my router to 80 before to improve my speed, but when that seemed to cause problems, I moved it back to 20/40/80. I would try setting it to 40, but from my testing, it seems that using anything less than 80 degrades my performance. I don't want to set it to 80 because it seems to cause drops to be more frequent, but at the same time, I don't want to have to live with something that is slower, so 20/40/80 is a sort of happy medium. Do you have any advice on what to do about this?

I think channel 165 does not support 80 MHz. Try one slightly lower than that.

Okay, I have moved to channel 149 and have decided to try setting the bandwidth back to 80 MHz. Now I'll just wait and see what happens.

So I am having issues also i was on channel 124. I have enable auto?? and also I have an option to select DFS channels will see how this goes. If it does not go well I will disable DFS and see was that my issue.

1605714347461.png

Auto is your issue (and more than likely, including DFS channels too). :)