What's new

RT-AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The range problem is not related with the router hardware itself, which is better than previous models, but the software / lockups implemented on it, same applies on RT-AC3100 / RT-AC3200 / RT-AC5300 models and recently on all other models software aswell.

Don't be surprised at all of getting a better range from an old router model like a ASUS WL-500GP/W, Linksys WRT54G/GS/GL series or others.

Last edited:
The range problem is not related with the router hardware itself, which is better than previous models, but the software / lockups implemented on it, same applies on RT-AC3100 / RT-AC3200 / RT-AC5300 models and recently on all other models software aswell.

Don't be surprised at all of getting a better range from an old router model like a ASUS WL-500GP/W, Linksys WRT54G/GS/GL series or others.

what rubbish are you on about now lol , i have seen no software issues or so called lockups in the 88u or 5300 and the range is on both is distinctly better than the previous wave 1 AC routers and craps all over anything wireless N , That is unless you start screwing round with non legal power transmission levels right !!!

the following 2 graphs show the transmission reception on stock firmware at 25 meters or about 85 feet indoors through 3 walls , the read speeds clearly show an increase in throughput at that distance for the wave 2 AC routers tested being the 88u , ac5300 and tp links c3150

Attachments

• 5 gig 25 meters read.jpg
    5 gig 25 meters read.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 700
  • 5 gig 25 meter write.jpg
    5 gig 25 meter write.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 628
The software has no problems in terms of stability, what i ment was the software new FCC power restrictions (lockup) on the routers.

You probably are on US region or non EU country, try those devices on EU region and then you will see how your graphic looks like after. :)

On the same location / config:

RT-AC88U - 63dBm (Stock ASUSWRT)
WL500GP - 50dBm (Oleg)
WRT54GS - 54dBm (Tomato)

Last edited:
The software has no problems in terms of stability, what i ment was the software new FCC power restrictions (lockup) on the routers.

the firmware tested was post new rules and yes im in australia but again im pretty sure we are on the same standard as the states

WL500GP - 50dBm (Oleg)
WRT54GS - 54dBm (Tomato)

but both of these are not at stock power levels are they

a while back i did a test with a netgear wndr 3800 with stock fw and it got less than 1/2 the speed / throughput and coverage on 2.4 gig and the 5 gig was not usable at the same 25 meter distance , i also tested the wrt54gl with similar results on 2.4 gig at 25 meters with stock power settings

Lock down, tks :)

All I can say is, for my setup, the 88U is superb. I have several WeMo devices that are quite some distance from my router. Before I used the 88U I HAD to use an AP for the WeMo's to work reliably. Since installing the 88U, the signal has improved to such an extent that I have removed the AP completely. I have not had a single issue with the WeMo's since.

FWIW my previous router was a NETGEAR R7500. The 88U has replaced that and is installed in the same location.

5Ghz is excellent too.

Last edited:
Has anyone already tested mu-mimo? I'm currently running the latest merlin firmware and wondering whether it's worth it to upgrade my laptop's wifi card to one which is mu-mimo capable (my phone already is).

How is mu-mimo working on the ac88u currently? Without issues?

How is mu-mimo working on the ac88u currently? Without issues?

Based on @thiggins testing it, it doesn't work very well at all. Broadcom still has a lot of work to do to make it work decently enough to justify using it. So for now, it's not something you should be worrying about.

I have yet to see a Broadcom-based MU-MIMO router work well. The latest tests show that MU-MIMO is actually working, but with a very low % of MU-MIMO frames. This produces little to no total throughput gain and more often produces LOWER total throughput using MU-MIMO.

I have yet to see a Broadcom-based MU-MIMO router work well. The latest tests show that MU-MIMO is actually working, but with a very low % of MU-MIMO frames. This produces little to no total throughput gain and more often produces LOWER total throughput using MU-MIMO.

Have you reached out to manufacturers about this? What was their response?

I suspect the ones who should really be asked are BCM themselves. If anyone has any contact there...

Have you reached out to manufacturers about this? What was their response?
Of course. I haven't really gotten any definitive answers from anyone, including Veriwave. I have not heard anything directly from Broadcom.

Of course. I haven't really gotten any definitive answers from anyone, including Veriwave. I have not heard anything directly from Broadcom.

BCM would be the one I'd be most interested in hearing a response from at this point.

We might be seeing a SDK upgrade in the very near future for the RT-AC88U. We'll see what happens then. Otherwise, I fear that MU-MIMO users might want to either go with Qualcomm, or wait for the next BCM SoC (assuming the issue is hardware and not software).

Based on @thiggins testing it, it doesn't work very well at all. Broadcom still has a lot of work to do to make it work decently enough to justify using it. So for now, it's not something you should be worrying about.

Jesus...I thought I wasn't gonna regret this one after the ac87u already being a piece of shirt. Should this currently be working already? If this is gonna be an issue that won't be fixed (just like the ac87u), I'm just gonna return it. I'm not paying 350 for a router that doesn't even support mu-mimo properly.

I'm not paying 350 for a router that doesn't even support mu-mimo properly.

not sure why you are getting all worked up over mu-mimo , tim has shown that mu-mimo is no big thing anyway , its not going to make your 20 or 30 wifi connected devices work any better and almost all of them arnt mu-mimo anyway , mu-mimo is big on promise but little in reality , its an advertising gimick , sam can be said for turbo qam eg 800 and 1000M on 2.4 gig ! how many of your adapters can or will actually use it ? hell are you even ever going to use link aggregation on the 88u

all these so called extra features ate tagged on because we have reached the limits of wireless transmission and so they need to attract you in some other way

i can say i the 88u has pretty much the best coverage out of all the asus ac units and thus at range its connectivity and throughput are better and if you have the new asus pce-ac88 you get a pretty nice jump in throughput as well

i have tested a few 2156M routers and the same can be said about them but is it worth buying or paying the amount for any of the 2156M series unless you can take full advantage of those other features included then the answer would be no

like all new technology the wave 2 series router are ahead of the game with the adapter technology still way behind as it always is , there is nothing wrong with the 88u and infact its a dam good wireless router and i wouldnt be returning it just because mu-mimo aint up to speed yet as your prob not even using it

Hi guys. I'm new here. Have any of you noticed RT-AC88U + AW-CE123H card @5G obtains only 400Mbps speed? Same cards (already tried 3 different notebooks with these cards) connects easily 866Mbps with my previous RT-AC87U. Tried Win7 and Win10, no luck yet. Latest OFW or Merlin, nothing new.

+ my wife's Intel 7260 nb = 866Mbps...

Last edited:
Did you try 'forgetting' the network, rebooting the computer and then re-associating to the router again?

yep, also hard resets, many different driver versions.

don't belive no one have tried similar setup here.

gonna try 3T3R AW-CB160H, waiting for MHF4 antennas now.

Is it still not possible to route a VPN to specific clients on this router?

Im tempted to flash Merlin FW but would prefer to stay on ASUS.

Toon

Is it still not possible to route a VPN to specific clients on this router?

Im tempted to flash Merlin FW but would prefer to stay on ASUS.

asus wont implement it and its why you extend the ability of the 88u and install merlin

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!