What's new

RT-AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

New firmware's out. Any reports, good or bad?

I haven't tested the 5G radio yet to see if it got fixed with this update.. Nothing in the release notes about 5G issues being addressed.

On .4180 the 5GHz seems fine. I get my full speed of 200Mbps down. I never had a problem with the 5GHz band.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, this firmware's even worse with my 5G band. When I enable the 5G radio, it locks up the router, kills the 2.4 radio and I can barely get in enough to disable the 5G radio again.
POS needs to be replaced.
Anybody know what ASUSs turnaround time is lately?
It was horrible when Ihad to ship them a bad mobo about 5-6 years ago. As in like almost 2 months.

Well, this firmware's even worse with my 5G band. When I enable the 5G radio, it locks up the router, kills the 2.4 radio and I can barely get in enough to disable the 5G radio again.
POS needs to be replaced.
Anybody know what ASUSs turnaround time is lately?
It was horrible when Ihad to ship them a bad mobo about 5-6 years ago. As in like almost 2 months.
Just tried a factory reset? Then start afresh.

Not having your issue at all & I'm guessing not many others are since the update due to lack of posts.

Toon

I'll try that next. There are quite a few folks with my exact issue posting on the ASUS forum for this router, strangely, not here.
What's the proper method to do a full reset?

Just tried a factory reset? Then start afresh.

Not having your issue at all & I'm guessing not many others are since the update due to lack of posts.

Toon
For the record, never had problems with 5Ghz here too. Sometimes forums collect more users with troubles than happy users;)

For the record, never had problems with 5Ghz here too. Sometimes forums collect more users with troubles than happy users;)
More often than not that's true...or those just looking for advice. Lots of good knowledge shared in these places though for sure :)

On that note....tweeted this out earlier, see if anyone has advice seen as i know ASUS stopped you allowing to drop back firmware recently.

@RMerlinDev hi, is your firmware compatible with latest ASUS RT-AC88U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.380.4180 ?? Ty

Toon

Hello all,
I've been lurking for a while and finally decided it was time to post; prior to owing the 88u, I owned the 68u which died a horrible death due to lighting strike. I've had the 88u since August, and I would describe my satisfaction with the router as mixed.

It has some truly incredible features, and when it's working correctly it is great! However, with the update that removed my tx power slider I began to have a loss of throughput speed, erratic power levels and disconnections from the 5ghz. The 2.4 channel also is very erratic with signal strength, the rssi jumping up and down in huge deviations quite regularly.

I'm by no means an expert at networking, but having spent the last couple of years educating myself so that I can get the most out of my setup I feel that I'm out of ideas and was hoping someone might be willing to help out.

I'm currently living in a small apartment, very close to the router-- and I'm using a pce 68u for my adaptor on my main PC. My other devices are the usual (e.g., phone, PS4/3, multimedia PC, Surface Book). I decided to give the PCE 88u a shot, as on occasion I do some file xfering of torrents and actually do benefit from the high throughput speeds. It will arrive in a couple of days, I'll post an update after that. Even then, my issues with the router are not limited to my PC, rather every device that I can analyze sufficiently.

Another odd thing that occurred along with the other host of problems-- my 2.4ghz channel will show around 230Mbs (5ghz shows 1300 mbs when its working) but despite this, when I do a speed test(ookla) I get only 70 mbps which is 30 percent less than what I should be getting and what I get on the 5ghz channel. Prior to the update this was not the case.

I've installed the latest firmware as well as doing a factory reset. However, I have not cleared the memory in any other way. (I'm not even sure how, I'll have to follow the guide)

Any help would be appreciated.

cavok

Wifi on this router is generally really solid. I would make sure that you disable MU-MIMO and Universal Beamforming.

Also try changing channel, you might have interference from your neighbours on the channels you are using.

Your devices might also still be using some parameters left behind by your previous router. Either change the SSID to a different one, or make sure you completely delete your connection configuration on your clients and reconnect to your router.

Thanks Merlin, I have accomplished the above steps, one thing it may be a result of is the "automatic power save delivery" I just noticed that setting. Also I installed my pce-88 adapter today. And oddly enough, I'm still getting 1.3 gbps speeds, same as the 68... I've uninstalled the previous adapters driver, reinstalled the new stuff. I also did a reboot on the router. I made sure Mmu is OFF. There is a windows adapter setting that wasn't on the 68 adapter "minimum power consumption" enabled by default. I've tried disabling it but haven't noticed anything new. Sometimes I'll get speeds up to 1.5 Gbps, but typically it stays at 1.3. The nitroQam is set correctly on the router... I'm stumped!

You might be at the limit that you can achieve in your environment. 1.3 to 1.5 is really good. The top speeds are rarely achievable realistically, especially those relying on TurboQAM. Nobody has ever seen a 1 GHz link on the 2.4 GHz band for instance, even by having the router right next to the client. Those kind of link rates are probably only achievable in a special lab, and are more marketing gimmick than reality.

You might be at the limit that you can achieve in your environment. 1.3 to 1.5 is really good. The top speeds are rarely achievable realistically, especially those relying on TurboQAM. Nobody has ever seen a 1 GHz link on the 2.4 GHz band for instance, even by having the router right next to the client. Those kind of link rates are probably only achievable in a special lab, and are more marketing gimmick than reality.

Ah, I suspected that I wouldn't see the true upper limit, but isn't it strange that I'm not seeing any increase by adding the additional antenna? I'd think there would be some benefit to using the PCE-88 in lieu of the PCE 68...

I made the mistake last night of calling customer service, after spending a half hour with an "expert" the only thing I was able to deduce is that their top tech rep knows less about networking than my girlfriend. Spoke to three different folks, and finally I thanked them for their time and got off the phone. It's even worse than the TV companies.

With my 88 router, would you suggest I download your firmware? I've read nothing but good things; perhaps your software would allow me to fully utilize my hardware?

Thanks again for your help

With my 88 router, would you suggest I download your firmware? I've read nothing but good things; perhaps your software would allow me to fully utilize my hardware?

You will get zero benefit on the wifi side of things, as my wifi code is 100% Asus's.

You will get zero benefit on the wifi side of things, as my wifi code is 100% Asus's.

I may eventually use the other benefits provided by your firmware, so I'll give it a good look.

Any other settings in 'professional' or 'wireless' tabs that could affect my throughputs?

Any other settings in 'professional' or 'wireless' tabs that could affect my throughputs?

Those are always very specific to your environment. But generally speaking, what I recommend is:

- Disable MU-MIMO
- Disable Nitro/Turbo-QAM
- 5 GHz: disable universal beamforming
- 2.4 GHz: disable both beamforming
- Set a static channel on both bands

Everything else should be left to default, unless you want to experiment with them and see how your specific environment handles these.

Those are always very specific to your environment. But generally speaking, what I recommend is:

- Disable MU-MIMO
- Disable Nitro/Turbo-QAM
- 5 GHz: disable universal beamforming
- 2.4 GHz: disable both beamforming
- Set a static channel on both bands

Everything else should be left to default, unless you want to experiment with them and see how your specific environment handles these.
Out of pure interest why disable those options? Upon research they sound like good features to have enabled.

Just logged into the desktop interface of my 88U and noticed an update firmware icon...this enabled in your firmware? I have your most recent firmware (which on media fire shows November 2015??) Installed...please advise.

Lastly, VPN routing. If I reboot my 88U or client device, do I need to update anything on the router?

It's showing on the router that it's connected to the VPN for the device I use it on but when doing an IP check via browser it tells me I'm at home.

Appreciate your time

Toon

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!