What's new

RT-AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Now that the official release firmware is out (and the confidentiality request is lifted), I did a few basic speed tests. Performance is still as surprisingly high as experienced with the beta driver.

See there, I am more excited than ever now.. Come on Amazon...

See there, I am more excited than ever now.. Come on Amazon...

I gave up on Amazon last night and went with Newegg. My 88 should be here tomorrow, it worked out to the same price since I had a 20% off coupon from Newegg for Veterans Day.

I gave up on Amazon last night and went with Newegg. My 88 should be here tomorrow, it worked out to the same price since I had a 20% off coupon from Newegg for Veterans Day.

Awesome! I am travelling this week and it will just be a box my wife sets aside for me.. I'll be in the hotel room squirming and pacing, but I'll get to see your experiences before I get to come home and play. Keep us up to date!

Awesome! I am travelling this week and it will just be a box my wife sets aside for me.. I'll be in the hotel room squirming and pacing, but I'll get to see your experiences before I get to come home and play. Keep us up to date!

When I ordered from Amazon I chose the next day option but now when you try to check out with the 88 it only gives you free standard shipping as an option for some reason. Not sure what is going on with Amazon's availability of this item.

RMerlin, what kernel is in the 380 release set? Still on 2.6?

I haven't checked what 380 uses, but I suspect it must still be 2.6.36.4.

When I ordered from Amazon I chose the next day option but now when you try to check out with the 88 it only gives you free standard shipping as an option for some reason. Not sure what is going on with Amazon's availability of this item.

Yeah, mine is two day shipping and I tried to change it it only gives me 4-5 day option or keep the 2 day. Usually Amazon gets new products to me the day it's released, but this one seems much different, we'll see, maybe lots of pre orders... who knows, it would be nice if they gave a release date on the page.

Usually Amazon gets new products to me the day it's released, but this one seems much different, we'll see, maybe lots of pre orders... who knows, it would be nice if they gave a release date on the page.

Received notification by Amazon that mine is scheduled to arrive 16 Nov.

I currently have N66U, but I want to add one more router. It seems that I can also get 88U based on the posts, but I am not sure whether I should get 88U, or probably 87U. Any quick suggestions?

I currently have N66U, but I want to add one more router. It seems that I can also get 88U based on the posts, but I am not sure whether I should get 88U, or probably 87U. Any quick suggestions?

I have the N66 too, and am upgrading to the 88U simply because I didn't want to deal with Quantenna. If I only wanted 4 ports though, I would have likely gone with the 3100. The 87U is more established from a firmware standpoint though, and I am sure that the 88U will have to have some patience to get it up to reliable performance. We shall see.

My N66 is rock solid and will be my backup until the 88U stabilizes, and then once it has, it will be likely relegated to an access point to the 88U down the line. That is my take.

What about EU launch, any news? I have AC66U now, but i realy like 8 lan switch and i'm getting ftth soon.

Do we know anything about the WAN-LAN/LAN-WAN speed at this point? I'm expecting a thorough review will be released on the site as usual, but I'm really curious about what the router has to offer :)

I have the N66 too, and am upgrading to the 88U simply because I didn't want to deal with Quantenna. If I only wanted 4 ports though, I would have likely gone with the 3100. The 87U is more established from a firmware standpoint though, and I am sure that the 88U will have to have some patience to get it up to reliable performance. We shall see.

My N66 is rock solid and will be my backup until the 88U stabilizes, and then once it has, it will be likely relegated to an access point to the 88U down the line. That is my take.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Do we know anything about the WAN-LAN/LAN-WAN speed at this point? I'm expecting a thorough review will be released on the site as usual, but I'm really curious about what the router has to offer
Most of the current crop of high end routers is basically capable of Gigabit wire-speed routing using Static or DHCP WAN connections.

I don't know about PPPoE, L2TP or PPTP connections because I can't test them.

Just ran home to bring it inside and check the contents of the box. I'll be setting it up after work.

d0oYHR4.jpg

Most of the current crop of high end routers is basically capable of Gigabit wire-speed routing using Static or DHCP WAN connections.

I don't know about PPPoE, L2TP or PPTP connections because I can't test them.
I have a gigabit connection at home, and I've been using a home built pfSense box till now. But I'm thinking about buying a ASUS router, I've had several in the past and they have worked great. I really don't need something as powerful as pfSense, and a file server might be a better fit for the hardware I currently have in the pfSense computer. So when the RT-AC88U entered the scene I was intrigued, ASUS claims to have improved the WAN-LAN speed(?). I need 900+ Mbps WAN-LAN/LAN-WAN and none of the routers who currently achieve that according to the chart, peaks my interest.
So hopefully RT-AC88U will deliver :)

Just ran home to bring it inside and check the contents of the box. I'll be setting it up after work.

d0oYHR4.jpg
Looks Awesome, I just picked up the RT-AC3100 at best buy this morning going to hook it up after work. I would have liked the RT-AC88U but they didn't have that model and was nearing the end of the return policy for my RT-AC87R. Since I really don't need the 8 lan ports and the red in the antennas isn't something I need either I figured the RT-AC3100 will suit my needs just fine and hopefully won't suffer from the issues of the RT-AC87R.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!