What's new

RT-AX58u (AX3000)-Lose Login to Router after DNS Filter Enabled-386.1_2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mm875

New Around Here
I am new to Asus and new to MerlinASUSWRT…

I purchased AX3000 and upgraded using posted firmware for AX58U (Same as AX3000) for DNS filter capability. Version Firmware is 386.1_2
Upon successful upgrade, selected OPEN FAMILY for General DNS filter. Applied changes but after update I can’t log into router via router.asus.com in browser.
Reboot and no change, no login capability
Reset Button, reconfigure and select Yandex family for DNS Filter.
Yandex changes take, but loose login. Test for adult site and it prevents, but no login on router.

In short, it looks like it is working for the General DNS settings to filter contact BUT it kills the login to the router use Chrome or MS Edge.

Any Ideas

Hardware: AX3000
Firmware: 386.1_2
Browsers: Chrome and MS Edge

That's because by using DNSFilter you are forcing the client to bypass the router's DNS server and go directly to Yandex (or whatever). The "router.asus.com" domain is defined only in the router's DNS server so Yandex cannot resolve it (or any of your other local host names). To access the router use its IP address instead, e.g. http://192.168.50.1

The alternative approach is to set your preferred DNS service in the WAN DNS server settings and then set the DNS Filter Global mode to “Router”. Then you can have both enforced filtering and local DNS resolution for router.asus.com.

Another approach is to define "router.asus.com" in the local hosts file on the client.

Thanks for the quick reply. Took this novice a bit to figure out how to get to the IP, but got it. IP address login worked, as you knew it would. Thanks Colin. Thanks to all that replied as gives me some other options to play with and learn.

Kind Regards

That's because by using DNSFilter you are forcing the client to bypass the router's DNS server and go directly to Yandex (or whatever). The "router.asus.com" domain is defined only in the router's DNS server so Yandex cannot resolve it (or any of your other local host names). To access the router use its IP address instead, e.g. http://192.168.50.1

I'm having the same issue as @mm875 with router.asus.com. I tried following the suggestions above, but I think I'm still missing some piece of the puzzle. Been using Asus routers and Merlin for a while, but still a bit of a rookie when it comes to tweaking a lot of the settings. Found this thread today and hopefully someone can help me out.

Here's my situation:
  • I'm running an RT-AC86U with Merlin 386.2_4 (with an RT-AC68U as an AiMesh node).
  • WAN DNS Setting (using OpenDNS):
    1621358111913.png
  • LAN -> DHCP Server -> DNS and WINS Server Setting
    Again, set for OpenDNS. Do I need this set like this? Should these be empty?
    1621358337395.png
  • LAN -> DNSFilter
    The three Customer (user-defined) DNS fields were all defaulted to 8.8.8.8. Do those need changed?
    1621358490453.png
  • I may want to play around with the DNS Privacy Protocol at some point, but right now I'm just trying to get router.asus.com to work.
With these settings, Firefox gives me the old "Hmm. We’re having trouble finding that site" message trying to go to router.asus.com. I'm using the NordVPN extension, and have router.asus.com set as an exception. I get that message with the extension enabled OR completely disabled.

In Chrome (not using NordVPN), I get the "This site can't be reached" message plus the error/code DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN.

Anyone have thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?

Yes, I know I can use the IP address. I wanted to use the DNS name, and really more wanted to find out why it wasn't working, not knowing if that was affecting anything else on my network.

I removed the IP addresses from the DNS and WINS Server Setting page and that seemed to fix things.

Thanks for your help.

LAN -> DHCP Server -> DNS and WINS Server Setting
Again, set for OpenDNS. Do I need this set like this? Should these be empty?
Leave them empty.