What's new

RT-AX58U Forced Firmware Upgrade

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wilsonl

New Around Here
Like others on this forum, back in Oct/2021 firmware 5898 broke WAN detection on my RT-AX58U. This results in internet instability. Reverting to 5674 resolved the issue. Shutting off Auto Firmware Upgrade stopped it from happening again. Until two days ago. In the morning, no internet. After rebooting Spectrum modem and Asus router, with no change, I noticed the firmware was upgraded again to 5898 (Auto Firmware Upgrade remained off). I did and a manual upload back to 5674 and toggled Auto Firmware Upgrade on and then off, and all seemed fine.

This morning no internet and back on 5898. Manual upload of 5674 and logged into the router 5 minutes later. Still on 5898 which was odd. Manual upload of 5674 and immediately logged into router and saw 5674. Within 30 minutes the router was back on 5898. I then went into the log and found this entry: ahs: [read_json]Update ahs JSON file right before the router rebooted. I was able to locate that log entry 3 times right before a router reboot over the last couple of days. I believe this Asus Healing System is forcing a firmware upgrade to 5898.

I have no idea how to resolve this issue and any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to the forums @wilsonl.

RMerlin firmware solves many stock Asus worries (i.e. automatic updates). And it seems to be based on newer firmware than what Asus offers now too.

Changelog | Asuswrt-Merlin

Whether you stay on stock or consider RMerlin firmware, a full reset to factory defaults is suggested to properly test the latest firmware available.

I have exactly the same problem. Firmware 3.0.0.4_386_45898 breaks my internet connection and since begining of this year it 's beeing reinstalled automatically despite the autoupdate is disabled.

I see these entries in the log:
Jan 5 09:51:30 WATCHDOG: [FAUPGRADE][auto_firmware_check:(7392)]periodic_check AM 5:14
Jan 5 09:51:30 WATCHDOG: [FAUPGRADE][auto_firmware_check:(7431)]do webs_update
Jan 5 09:51:33 WATCHDOG: [FAUPGRADE][auto_firmware_check:(7449)]retrieve firmware information
Jan 5 09:51:33 WATCHDOG: [FAUPGRADE][auto_firmware_check:(7452)]user in use
Jan 5 09:52:03 WATCHDOG: [FAUPGRADE][auto_firmware_check:(7431)]do webs_update
Jan 5 09:52:03 WATCHDOG: [FAUPGRADE][auto_firmware_check:(7449)]retrieve firmware information
Jan 5 09:52:03 WATCHDOG: [FAUPGRADE][auto_firmware_check:(7452)]user in use
Jan 5 09:52:33 WATCHDOG: [FAUPGRADE][auto_firmware_check:(7431)]do webs_update
Jan 5 09:52:33 WATCHDOG: [FAUPGRADE][auto_firmware_check:(7449)]retrieve firmware information
Jan 5 09:52:33 WATCHDOG: [FAUPGRADE][auto_firmware_check:(7452)]user in use

Maybe it is something related with this year signature: 2.270 (Updated : 2022/01/01 07:37). Is it possible?

Best regards,
Luekid

If the firmware is forced to upgrade, I think there must be very serious bugs or security vulnerabilities found in the old version. I know they did such a thing shortly after they launched the RT-AC86U. At that time, the firmware did not even introduce the "automatic upgrade" option.

I suggest you always upgrade to the latest version, and read L&LD's factory reset guide to troubleshoot the cause of the problem. If you can confirm the problem, you only need to submit a feedback to them in the router.

If the firmware is forced to upgrade, I think there must be very serious bugs or security vulnerabilities found in the old version.
Asus has enabled automated updates for most models over the past few months, due to security concerns. It's not enforced for specific versions.

Asus has enabled automated updates for most models over the past few months, due to security concerns. It's not enforced for specific versions.
But then it is forced no matter that you have auto update disabled, isn't it?

But then it is forced no matter that you have auto update disabled, isn't it?
I haven't looked at the stock upgrade page in a long time, but I believe you cannot disable auto updates, only the auto update scheduler.

Different router but here is what I see.

Screenshot 2022-01-05 153551.jpg

I have "auto firmware upgrade" turned off on my RT-AX3000. Despite that, it has been auto upgrading, apparently. I was just about to manually upgrade it to 47029, and noticed that it was already upgraded to that new release. None the less, since it must also have gone through a couple of other versions since I last looked (must have at least gone through 45898 in order to have successfully installed 47029), I did do the full factory reset and manual reconfiguration that I was planning on doing after the upgrade to 47029. I don't know if the auto upgrading takes into account differences in settings between firmware versions or not, but I feel that I need to do that.

Upsetting to me that it had auto upgraded, the other Asus routers I have (RT-AX86U and ZenWiFi AX) don't do that. I want to have control of what firmware version is in use in case of problems, but at least it's only the media bridge, not my main routers, that does this.

Last edited:
It would be very upsetting to me too.

May as well use your ISP-supplied equipment in that case. :(

This is becoming a major reason for RMerlin's support for the routers I choose and recommend.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!