What's new

RT-AX58U slower than ten year N router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hagbard

Regular Contributor
Got this router in December, seems to load images slower than my old Trendnet wireless N router. I'll be going through Facebook, for example, and often the images don't load at all. I tried switching back to the Trendnet to test this, and the Trendnet now won't even recognize my desktop computer ethernet connection. I switch back to the Asus and it works again. Concerned there might be something fishy about the Asus router, my wife picked it up through her bank rewards program so didn't come directly from a retailer. I've put on the newest firmware and done a reboot, no different. I'm I missing something with the test with the Trendnet? And any reason for concern with the Asus? I'm not a complete router newbie since I've used routers since 1995, but might be missing something with this Asus firmware since there are a crazy number of settings. Thanks.

are you connected to the asus router using ethernet? how about other non facebook services? or speedtests?
Yes, connected via ethernet to my desktop. Other services display the same issues, especially if the pages are full of images. Speed tests are all normal.

Getting worse. Often have to hit reload a much of times to get things to load in (like clicking for more comments, something I just get the spinning circle).

Which firmware version are you on? Did you flash a new firmware version without doing a reset to factory defaults? With Asus routers, trying a different firmware version is often helpful...and when flashing a new version, since you're having problems, be sure to reset to factory defaults before re-entering your settings. I have an RT-AX3000, and it is plenty fast on the latest firmware...though only using it as a media bridge here.

I'm using the most recent firmware from Asus, I may not have done the full reset to defaults this time around, but had the issue out of the box. Did just reboot my modem, which seems to be improving things for now, but I've rebooted it a couple times before without any change. I'll give the factor reset a shot. Thanks.

For doing the factory reset, do I just click the box Restore button next to Factory Reset on the Administration page? Or do I need to do it the old fashion way by holding reset on the router while rebooting it? One is clearly easier than the other.

For doing the factory reset, do I just click the box Restore button next to Factory Reset on the Administration page? Or do I need to do it the old fashion way by holding reset on the router while rebooting it? One is clearly easier than the other.

ASUS restore.JPG

Put a check in the WHITE BOX, scroll down to bottom and hit APPLY, then click the RESTORE BOX.

Last edited:
I have only ever selected Initialize (purge logged date, too) and then Restore to reset to firmware defaults.

OE
Since when do you make any page change and not hit APPLY?

Is this one box an exception?

Since when do you make any page change and not hit APPLY?

Is this one box an exception?

Initialize is a condition on the Restore push button action. It's not really a setting change unless the Initialize checkbox stays checked, imo. No point in a setting/page change if you are resetting everything.

Select the "Factory default" label and read the popup help.

OE

Last edited:
Initialize is a condition on the Restore push button action. It's not really a setting change unless the Initialize checkbox stays checked, imo. No point in a setting/page change if you are resetting everything.

OE
The check box clears on reboot.

Yeah (forehead slap), of course a reset will reset the checkbox.

But my point remains.

OE

I've had problems your way. I've tried it more than twice. I'll continue to do it the way I outlined.

I'm not trying to force a change or argument.

I've had problems your way. I've tried it more than twice. I'll continue to do it the way I outlined.

I'm not trying to force a change or argument.

None of my routers have an APPLY button on the firmware Restore page. Your Asus router firmware must be different.

OE

None of my routers have an APPLY button on the firmware Restore page. Your Asus router firmware must be different.

OE
You are correct, it no longer exists on the AX86. It did at one time.

I can't confirm if it's still on the AC68 right now or the AX58.

Thanks for the info. I've brought it back to factory settings, I have yet to change the settings under "WAN - NAT Passthrough", before I set it to all disabled, just checking to make sure those settings weren't causing the issues. I'll report back.

Thanks for the info. I've brought it back to factory settings, I have yet to change the settings under "WAN - NAT Passthrough", before I set it to all disabled, just checking to make sure those settings weren't causing the issues. I'll report back.

A healthy router hardware with firmware default settings (do not load a saved configuration file) should not be causing weird browsing behavior. And you don't need to mess with NAT passthrough settings unless you have a specific requirement.

OE

A healthy router hardware with firmware default settings (do not load a saved configuration file) should not be causing weird browsing behavior. And you don't need to mess with NAT passthrough settings unless you have a specific requirement.

OE
Thought it was recommended to disable those settings for security?

Thought it was recommended to disable those settings for security?

I'm not aware of specific security issues with those default settings, but suit yourself. Generally speaking, get a base installation working first before tweaking and layering on things... issues.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!