What's new

RT-AX58U wifi restarts

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dudeimtrying

New Around Here
Hi all, I have a RT-AX58U that seems to reboot wifi a couple times a day, but seemingly only when I'm home with my laptop on?

My wife works from home and says she doesn't notice it happening much usually, but it's happened twice today, and my logs look kinda weird in terms of dates.

Logs attached

Attachments

• syslog.txt
    300.5 KB · Views: 9
It's showing one device (your laptop) reconnecting, which points to an incompatibity or instabilitybetween your router's wifi6 and the laptop's wifi card and/or drivers. Try disabling wifi6 in the 5GHz wireless settings on the router, right where there's a note "If compatibility issue occurs when enabling 802.11ax / WiFi 6 mode, please check: FAQ"
The FAQ is regarding AC (wifi5) cards though.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response.

Disabling wifi6 was the first thing I did when I moved to this from an AC3200 because half my smart bulbs are half-stupid and can't handle wifi6, so it's been off throughout.

For additional info, it's not specifically my laptop alone that loses connectivity, everything in the house does, but it seems to happen more frequently when my work laptop is home and on, as if something it's doing is causing the wireless to dump. My first thought was that it's sending some kind of disconnect packet or something but I can't really tell.

I had merlin on my ac3200 and was pleased with it but haven't moved my ax58 over yet. Could it help with this?

It also seems strange that the dates in the log are incorrect, seems to always go back to May briefly during these events

It also seems strange that the dates in the log are incorrect, seems to always go back to May briefly during these events

Going back to May is indicating the router rebooted, It always defaults to May until it gets information from the time server.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!