What's new

News RT-AX68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The mimo streams is what the hobbyists will be looking at. WHich as Thiggins says its pretty meaningless and offers no benefit.
MIMO streams and MU-MIMO are not the same. MIMO streams refers to the number of transmit/receive chains, which significantly affects performance. MU-MIMO uses beamforming to simutaneously transmit data to multiple STAs.

MU-MIMO has improved over time and I've seen evidence that it can improve total throughput in some test cases. But it is not worth specifically testing for it.

The new test process that I will be using when I resume testing will attempt to better assess product performance with muliple real STAs.

Aren't you the one who brought up the fact you didn't like the idea of them selling 3 routers with the same hardware but simply feature limited by the software? I also think thats wrong. I'm not sure if their marketing is successful or not, only they would know. Just going by amazon reviews netgear and tp-link seem to sell way more routers. Even though I find them to be inferior products compared to asus, even though the reviews are worse. Talking 1000's compared to 100's.

But Like I said I think Asus is more confusing to the consumer and comes off less trustworthy releasing so many different models. To further touch on your examples, most of the routers I have used can be either stood up, or laid down. Depending on your personal choosing. ac66u_b1 and ax58u for example. Selling them as two different routers with the only difference being two different orientation options turns me off as a consumer, comes off greedy, and I would find it insulting to my intelligence.

One of the main selling points for asus routers is @Merlin firmware and the frequent updates of their stock firmware for stability and security. But releasing so many different models is making that reputation hard to live up to.
Sarcasm doesn't always work, does it?

MIMO streams and MU-MIMO are not the same. MIMO streams refers to the number of transmit/receive chains, which significantly affects performance. MU-MIMO uses beamforming to simutaneously transmit data to multiple STAs.

MU-MIMO has improved over time and I've seen evidence that it can improve total throughput in some test cases. But it is not worth specifically testing for it.

The new test process that I will be using when I resume testing will attempt to better assess product performance with muliple real STAs.

I was being lazy and didn't want to write it out.

Sarcasm doesn't always work, does it?

you lost me.

Gentlemen. Enough with the personal back-and-forth. @cooloutac , stop trolling or you'll get the permanent ban you have been anticipating. Last warning.

I personally attacked noone and I expect nothing less from you. Anticipated for good reason. Throttling my account hoping I go away is shameful. Are you afraid I'm just gonna use another browser and ip address and not tip you off with my email? Don't worry I'll be gone forever.

But I will remember for the rest of my life how the guy who runs the snbforums and does "professional" wifi tests is the same guy who said antennae position and router rotation has no affect on signals. the only reason i agree with you on mimo streams as being worthless, is because most people don't have devices to take advantage of them and probably wouldn't even notice a difference on their network if they did. Similarly to how faster speeds might not benefit them.

I like how you are not an asus fan boy and stay unbiased, but wonder if you resent the fact your forums are dominated by them so much that you drive away the devs that write scripts for their opensource firmware. More of them should boycott you.

More and more i find myself sticking to reddit and youtube, the only places left on the net not totally censored, corrupt , and dominated and run by frauds. But that is the computer industry in a nutshell.

Happy New Year, and good riddens! :cool:

Last edited:

And just to clarify further if you really wanted to be technically correct, its SU-MIMO vs MU-MIMO. Most people knew what I meant and you were simply being condescending or like to correct people. These forums are not as bad as irc freenode but that was silly. lol

@cooloutac, I am sincerely sorry if you really leave. But please look at your actions/responses here and try to take some responsibility too for the outcome you've decided upon.

You have made many good points in your posts. But you have been less than grateful or respectful of others too. Come back and participate with the group and share what you can.

Comparing snbforums.com to YouTube and Reddit is puzzling. Sure, you can state about anything you wish on there. But it is like comparing facts to fiction.

Sigh, it's only January 1st! Can't we all just get along?

Edit: and try to ignore inconsequential things and the need to have the last word in too. ;)

I personally attacked noone and I expect nothing less from you. Anticipated for good reason. Throttling my account hoping I go away is shameful. Are you afraid I'm just gonna use another browser and ip address and not tip you off with my email? Don't worry I'll be gone forever.

But I will remember for the rest of my life how the guy who runs the snbforums and does "professional" wifi tests is the same guy who said antennae position and router rotation has no affect on signals. the only reason i agree with you on mimo streams as being worthless, is because most people don't have devices to take advantage of them and probably wouldn't even notice a difference on their network if they did. Similarly to how faster speeds might not benefit them.

I like how you are not an asus fan boy and stay unbiased, but wonder if you resent the fact your forums are dominated by them so much that you drive away the devs that write scripts for their opensource firmware. More of them should boycott you.

More and more i find myself sticking to reddit and youtube, the only places left on the net not totally censored, corrupt , and dominated and run by frauds. But that is the computer industry in a nutshell.

Happy New Year, and good riddens! :cool:

@thiggins showed signs of censorship practices last time i wrote something here so its not a surprise he does it again. Anyways i learnt what i wanted to learn and ill keep an eye on this forum no matter if there is a censor as moderator or not.

@cooloutac, I have found this to be a fairly tolerant place compared to most other online forums. Personal comments are always subject to scrutiny in any forum. The moderators are usually just trying to keep the peace and apply the rules for everyone equally.

You have contributed a lot of good posts here over the time. It's been a strange and stressful year for everyone with what has been going on in the world. I suggest you be true to the "cool" part of your name... chill out, relax, be thankful we have a place like SNB to exchange ideas with other router users and take some time to enjoy New Years Day. Hopefully 2021 will be a better year for everyone.

Last edited:
Agree with @SoCalReviews that @cooloutac has made good contributions to this forum. As we all know, this forum takes place using written English as the main communications medium. For some on the forum, English isn't even their primary language. With written communication, it is also very easy to misinterpret something that was meant by the writer to be innocuous. Hopefully we can give each other the benefit of the doubt and appreciate all the experience and knowledge represented on the forum.

Dude, just farking stop with the Asus fear mongering crap, take a Prozac or 2 and stop making Mountains out of absolutely non existent ant hills....

Reading the translated review of the link above, this looks like it may be a good option for an apartment or smaller home/area. I don't think it will be a good fit with the RT-AX88U or the RT-AX86U though because of no 160MHz capabilities (for those that can use them). As a Media Bridge to the higher end routers, this will also be a good fit too.

Depending on the price, this would be a good move for my customers who currently have an AC wireless backhaul AiMesh system in place and have a faster ISP connection that they want to take advantage of (even with no AX clients, today).

Looking forward to being able to play with one of these myself. As a Media Bridge, of course.

As part of the ongoing saga... The RT-AX68U might become the only option for some who want a newer Asus Wifi 6 router. The RT-AX88U availability is scarce. At the time of this post the RT-AX86Us are going for $489 USD on Amazon from third party sellers. They continue to be out of stock or back ordered everywhere else. Even on Ebay U.S. they are auctioning new for almost $300 USD. Something serious is going on with the demand and holding AX router inventory. Could Asus be opening up production lines for new AXE/Wifi 6E models?

@SoCalReviews, the scalpers are running with this. Nothing Asus does affect normal sales or availability. I have a few customers that are waiting for a sale to come back for the 'AX86U to save $30 off the current $330 price they can get. I do hope Asus drops a few thousand units into the market and take out the scalpers wind right under them. That's what they deserve.

But then, they're just doing what happens in every war: hoard, limit and charge the most possible for otherwise 'commodity' items.

At the time of this post the RT-AX86Us are going for $489 USD on Amazon from third party sellers. They continue to be out of stock or back ordered everywhere else. Even on Ebay U.S. they are auctioning new for almost $300 USD. Something serious is going on with the demand and holding AX router inventory. Could Asus be opening up production lines for new AXE/Wifi 6E models?

Odd considering Staples even had a 50$ discount on it last week (dropping the price to $280 CAD). It still shows as available, but back at its regular $330 USD price.

@SoCalReviews, the scalpers are running with this. Nothing Asus does affect normal sales or availability. I have a few customers that are waiting for a sale to come back for the 'AX86U to save $30 off the current $330 price they can get. I do hope Asus drops a few thousand units into the market and take out the scalpers wind right under them. That's what they deserve.

But then, they're just doing what happens in every war: hoard, limit and charge the most possible for otherwise 'commodity' items.
When the price drops back down I should stock up on extra AX86Us. I could barter them for TP during the next crises. :D

Odd considering Staples even had a 50$ discount on it last week (dropping the price to $280 CAD). It still shows as available, but back at its regular $330 USD price.
I just looked at Staples' site. Seems like all their Asus routers are priced about 30% above other retail outlets.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!