What's new

RT-AX82U Will not mount new 128GB SD card

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

HelpFred

Occasional Visitor
I've been using a 64GB SD Card and wanted to get some more space. The router sees it, Disk check from router interface says it's good....tried FAT32 & NTFS.

THE PROBLEM IS when I go to mount it and created a Folder I get a spinning circle (circle of death) and it never stops.......

What am I missing?

Thanks for any help!

What adaptor are you using to get the SD card connected to the router?

Samsung USB 3 (New Pro Plus MicroSD/Reader) but I figured out the problem....

From the router home page I clicked on the USB 3 (forgot what I did at that point) but then I would go to the "USB Application" and when trying to create a folder I would get the spinning circle.
Finally after ejecting the sd card and looking at it on my PC, I connected it to the router and went directly to the "USB Application", hit the plus on the sd card and created the folder!
Everything is ok now.....I guess I was leaving something hanging in process when I went to the USB 3 Icon when I was trying to start the process.

All is good but thanks for the reply!

Have a great day and stay safe and stay well!

Well, I'm back with the same problem. I've been using my Samsung 128gb sd card with my samsung usb3 reader and working fine.
I needed more space so I got a samsung 512gb and using the same usb3 reader I'm getting the spinning circle and the sd card will not mount!

Suggestions/help would be appreciated!

Don't use an SD card with a USB adaptor on the router.

The most stable/reliable devices are an external m.2 enclosure with an SSD installed.

Then I would have to run power...

I'm using the same reader (samsung USB3) reader.....THE SAME one that works great with the 128gb samsung sd card.....does not make sense unless it does not like the EVO Select 512gb....maybe it's too good :p

I'm using the same reader (samsung USB3) reader.....THE SAME one that works great with the 128gb samsung sd card.....does not make sense unless it does not like the EVO Select 512gb....maybe it's too good :p
Wouldn't the usb port power the external m.2 enclosure with an SSD installed? They don't need external power...

No, most folks around use something similar to this:

Well, I'm back with the same problem. I've been using my Samsung 128gb sd card with my samsung usb3 reader and working fine.
I needed more space so I got a samsung 512gb and using the same usb3 reader I'm getting the spinning circle and the sd card will not mount!

Suggestions/help would be appreciated!
Did you format the drive as NTFS before plugging it in the router?

Wouldn't the usb port power the external m.2 enclosure with an SSD installed? They don't need external power...
I know some power is provided but there is a limit and I haven't spent the time....I do have an old SSD (1TB) but my computer room/radio shack is cramped enough:oops:
Got to TRY to keep wifey happy :rolleyes:

If you want a stable/reliable network, forget the wifey. Do what is known to work instead (i.e. 'best practices').

No, most folks around use something similar to this:

Got what I need for that including the connectors for the SSD....just don't know the power limits and additional stuff to find a place to put it....

An m.2 SSD, that is 1TB or smaller, for use on an Asus router for amtm/scripts, will most likely be easily powered by a USB port.

Don't use an SD card with a USB adaptor on the router.

The most stable/reliable devices are an external m.2 enclosure with an SSD installed.

Just to add - most of the SD cards I've seen are formatted ExFAT and may have a partition for other stuff...

Do a low level format on the SDCard, and there, the SD Association has a tool that does just that...

I know I've submitted this before... But just for the record here are the power readings from my 128GB integral USB-SSD plugged into the GT-AX6000

Screenshot_2024-05-07-01-44-44-670_com.ruideng.png

Found the problem.....seems the router does not like for there to be files on the SD card. I formatted it again THEN with no files, connected it and it mounted. Copied files to SD card....I guess my idea of saving a few minutes with the data transfer cause me more trouble and time......

Thanks for the help....kind of odd though....

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!