What's new

RT-AX86 Series

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Con

Occasional Visitor
Just at the ASUS website and see that the support page now states " RT-AX86 Series (RT-AX86U/RT-AX86S)". Searched the web and found no info on a RT-AX86S. Anyone heard anything about this or have any information/gossip as to what is coming?

UPDATE: Just found the following info and differences, the S variant has only 512MB of RAM instead of 1GB, S has no 2.5 GBE port, and the S has 1 USB 2.0 port. Both have 1.8GHZ processor.

Last edited:
I never said "they are the same". I said they were both using a 1.8GHZ processor, which they are.

I just bought one.
RT-AX86u.
I wanted to check for a firmware update.
The ONLY selection on that page is for the "S" model, and worse yet, it says "We don’t currently provide a software utility or drivers for this model.".
When you click on Bios and Firmware, the same one selection is also just the "S" model. Clicking on that produces (nothing) - it goes nowhere.
What ???!!!
1624319162668.png

I just bought one.
RT-AX86u.
I wanted to check for a firmware update.
The ONLY selection on that page is for the "S" model, and worse yet, it says "We don’t currently provide a software utility or drivers for this model.".
When you click on Bios and Firmware, the same one selection is also just the "S" model. Clicking on that produces (nothing) - it goes nowhere.
What ???!!!
View attachment 34551

Use this link: https://www.asus.com/us/Networking-IoT-Servers/WiFi-6/All-series/RT-AX86U/HelpDesk_BIOS/ and you can easily select a model.

UPDATE: Just found the following info and differences, the S variant has only 512MB of RAM instead of 1GB, S has no 2.5 GBE port, and the S has 1 USB 2.0 port. Both have 1.8GHZ processor.
Where did you find the info on this model?

BTW, this is the new model I mentioned a few weeks ago when I said I had received a yet unannounced model. Just curious to see if its specs are now public.

EDIT: I see they are now on their website, they just have the same product page for both models, with differences annotated on it.

Last edited:
Where did you find the info on this model?

BTW, this is the new model I mentioned a few weeks ago when I said I had received a yet unannounced model. Just curious to see if its specs are now public.

EDIT: I see they are now on their website, they just have the same product page for both models, with differences annotated on it.

It seems that they are devaluing their own market when compared to the RT-AX68U.

How does this fit in? It appears to be a gimped model. Confuse the consumer, like a shell game?

So what can we expect?

So the "S" version has half the RAM, half of the number of cores in the processor and no 2.5 GB LAN port.

Should make a wonderful router for the average home and a great AiMesh node.

Unless you are running custom scripts, dual core and 512MB RAM is more than enough.

It seems that they are devaluing their own market when compared to the RT-AX68U.

How does this fit in? It appears to be a gimped model. Confuse the consumer, like a shell game?

So what can we expect?
Most likely they can't source enough 2.5G PHY chips (See my old post), so they created a new product without 2.5G chip, with slightly crippled specs to differentiate...

Last edited:
BTW, this is the new model I mentioned a few weeks ago when I said I had received a yet unannounced model.
@RMerlin, I am just curious: would your AX86U firmware work on the "S" variant, too? It looks like Asus stock is the same for both.

Oh no, I took home 10x AC86U's for experiments, none were mine. I can wait for 2 years to get my hands on AX86U, no problem. :)

P.S. You have purchased 7x AX86U's, correct? Thank you! Your science contribution will be greatly appreciated.

So what can we expect?
The AX86S looks gimped all right. For all we know it could be based on re-provisioned AC86Us. The specs sure look similar.

Don't be surprised if the $299 USD AX86U Zaku Edition is the only one with the original specs available that you will be able to purchase as new going forward. I hope those who have been waiting to get the AX86U enjoy their cool $50 red paint job.

Last edited:
For all we know it could be based on re-provisioned AC86Us. The specs sure look similar.

I believe it's exactly the same as AX86U, but with dual-core CPU and 1/2 RAM. The radios are the same, the 2.5Gb port is there, all other specs as per Asus are the same. It may be a better value router, actually. I'm sure it will run Asuswrt-Merlin, RMerlin was talking about a new model coming. If stock Asuswrt supports both, this same Asuswrt will be the new Asuswrt-Merlin base soon.

P.S. You have purchased 7x AX86U's, correct? Thank you! Your science contribution will be greatly appreciated.
Seven. That's correct and despite so many moaning and complaining about the price being high those AX86U purchases are looking more like a bargain every day.

Interested to see what the price of AX86S is going to be. If you need more AiMesh nodes, for example, AX86S is a better fit.

I will guess right now that the AX86S will start out at $229 USD (possibly $219 USD). This will help quell the moans of the whiners high price complaints without stepping on the existing Asus router product line. If it's any clue on Amazon the AX82U price has already dropped to $217 USD to leave it's previous price point open. If there is an AX86GTS coming that will probably be $319 USD to place it just above the AX86U Zaku Edition price point.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!