What's new

RT-AX86U Dual WAN: What does it do by default to check connection?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Qbcd

Regular Contributor
So I want to set up dual WAN fail over with my mobile connection.

In the dual WAN settings, for network detection there is the option to check "DNS Query" and/or "Ping" or neither. Even if you check neither, it still works.

For the sake of keeping this short, I will just ask generally - what is the behavior when neither are checked, when only one is checked/specified or when both are checked/specified.

If anyone knows, I'd love to know the answer, Asus does not explain this in their support pages.

When neither is checked, if your WAN is not hard interrupted (not unplugged) and you are not logged into the web GUI, your router LEDs will not change to show a network outage.

But when you log into the web GUI, the router checks the network status immediately, so it doesn't matter if you don't choose both at this time, but we don't always log into the web GUI, do we?

So I want to set up dual WAN fail over with my mobile connection.

In the dual WAN settings, for network detection there is the option to check "DNS Query" and/or "Ping" or neither. Even if you check neither, it still works.

For the sake of keeping this short, I will just ask generally - what is the behavior when neither are checked, when only one is checked/specified or when both are checked/specified.

If anyone knows, I'd love to know the answer, Asus does not explain this in their support pages.
The router phones home to a Microsoft address to check connectivity every so many seconds without either checked. I'd imagine when checked it'll use what you enter in the fields.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!