What's new

RT-AX86U/RT-AX5700 hits the FCC

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Just a small thing, didn't like that weird feel when pressing the RT-AC86U power push button, sometimes I press it and not sure what happened, is it On or already Off? :)
Now that rocker power switch I like :)

OSUd3d7XukV1MEuQF7E16d0yur_sovQKXtpVY0bbAZEiS3ZwjaXLevcIGfYnMGd93zctKMddBBTInIOpkD5CDZXxtxSuAm4YlBhTzNSus_xhnB63JHth3NQPTCH6M-AVIdHlEOiNq3oSYxTZFITERHocqux_SWMc5oOw_hoT-wRQh68Ot4NZx_Jr6bKOqhaqPoE9C6Wh4e4-wxvrEWc_QQ0eb0PhlXTfrpM_FsrcK4tA4q8Lpui_28sBmQrQ6aifNrdYVyjjYA6GmIvwm5Zg-IZ4DXHjnpf7pgTkUU9qtvBzjsAeHRwuMccKywUuKrwO-05DYajBKQEUV4htUjflVDD0yD3XkoJfo2Qt5PUkKyoLgfIOjY-5EOr8zLAKYuYxiQBupVAe8JZ7p39vQT0pBEUp3aZMsq5P4UxbsdXfszZQ_tIt-2GlyX71Go5frUZcbY1g1Cd94uQBNXu2QGeieSM-L15FlrYxWNHadR6Uiu2Nja5mgMLhIpcNtQLoVXgRnqZxd3fch0_Q7Di4e2QPJwfUW1-v4a1ol-faxem9GxoOGXFPVu-5NIWZezUjesiR6R3hcGSOXMHtQjbIeiHky9ZL_co3WVnGlSuXn3uNEWlWcZOJF-tkjnWcJZTWv22mBo90t9jcVRAQg5CqgpXxzC2KtQ1WjHEFK8KIyvMaggJGsapXULFvbmyvO0loOg=w224-h364-no

I can't speculate about future model support.

@RMerlin Today I received my new RT-AX86U. Is it possible to install firmware from another model, for example from AX58U ? If not, I really hope that support will soon appear in your firmware! The router is great, I'm sure it will be very popular.

No, not possible. RMerlin needs a router and the raw GPL source code first before he can offer an RMerlin version for your new router.

Right now, you're flying on your own. :)

@RMerlin Today I received my new RT-AX86U. Is it possible to install firmware from another model, for example from AX58U ? If not, I really hope that support will soon appear in your firmware! The router is great, I'm sure it will be very popular.
It has 6E? :rolleyes:

The AX86U is WiFi 6. The WiFi 6E routers are not out until the end of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Preorder one for € 269,- here in the netherlands, hope for delivery within 14 days.
GPL_RT-AX86U_3.0.0.4.384.9173 found already on the Asus site.

I made a purchase from a Chinese seller on ebay, it cost $ 299, offered the seller a better price of $ 270 and he agreed, now the seller has raised the price to $ 328.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203010020478

I wonder if you're locked out of channels since its a china region device. Granted I'm sure merlin will eventually support it. Warranty support might be messy or non existent. US Price seems to be around $280+ since the UK price is 229 pounds

Preorder one for € 269,- here in the netherlands, hope for delivery within 14 days.
GPL_RT-AX86U_3.0.0.4.384.9173 found already on the Asus site.

It's been out since the published date in china. I'm sure there will be another update once its actually available for purchase in the west.

According to Best buy CA, they have a shipment of AX82U's coming in at the end of the month. I guess North America is the last to receive it.

Last edited:
I made a purchase from a Chinese seller on ebay, it cost $ 299, offered the seller a better price of $ 270 and he agreed, now the seller has raised the price to $ 328.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203010020478
Probably a bit risky ordering from China. Different countries that use the same voltage sure, but you'll have to use a 220V to 110V converter or get a new power supply for it (presuming you're from NA). I'd personally wait for a localised version instead.

I wonder if you're locked out of channels since its a china region device. Granted I'm sure merlin will eventually support it. Warranty support might be messy or non existent. US Price seems to be around $280+ since the UK price is 229 pounds

In the router settings, you can select a region, since I use it in Russia, I chose the Europe region, I did not find any problems with the compatibility of wi-fi channels. The price at which I got the router (270 dollars), I think it is very profitable, since in Russia, due to the difference in exchange rates, it will cost much more, +local retailers strongly raise the price.

Probably a bit risky ordering from China. Different countries that use the same voltage sure, but you'll have to use a 220V to 110V converter or get a new power supply for it (presuming you're from NA). I'd personally wait for a localised version instead.

In Russia, a 220 power supply network is used as in China, just the power cord plug does not match, in China there are 3 contacts, and in Russia 2, but this can be easily solved either by buying a cheap adapter or replacing the power cord from the adapter, you can simply replace it, nothing to disassemble.

I thought it was 8/1 but my local BB had no idea what I was talking about. Of course, they usually have no idea what I am talking about...

Good to know - I didn't see the 86XU on any websites yet (included Asus) I had just bought the ROG 2900, but since this will probably be somewhat in the ballpark of price and is more modern I'm thinking I'll return it and grab this.

Good to know - I didn't see the 86XU on any websites yet (included Asus) I had just bought the ROG 2900, but since this will probably be somewhat in the ballpark of price and is more modern I'm thinking I'll return it and grab this.

I'd argue it depends on price. If the AX86U is around double the cost, I'd just skip and be happy with the GT-2900 for a couple years.. It's pretty good relative to market availability on price to performance.

The GT-AC2900 > AX86U upgrades

A53 1.8ghz 64 bit dual core > A53 1.8ghz 64 bit quad core (Should be same design minus 2 cores)
512>1024mb System RAM
Radio SoC A7 Processor speed 800mhz >1.5ghz (according to marketing material from a different company)
Both do 160mhz (Granted PHY rates with AX + AX client is going to be a lot more consistent at distance, and the AX86u should do full 4x4 160mhz while the 160mhz is limited to 2x2 on the GT-AC2900)
Both have link aggregation.

Anyway.. I have the GT-AC2900. Does 480mbps (ISP wall limited) at over 30 feet on higher channels as the lower blocks are crowded. Pretty sure I can push much higher if I had a GIG connection. Some users report around 600mbps + at 30 feet on AC86U.

I'd argue it depends on price. If the AX86U is around double the cost, I'd just skip and be happy with the GT-2900 for a couple years.. It's pretty good relative to market availability on price to performance.

The GT-AC2900 > AX86U upgrades

A53 1.8ghz 64 bit dual core > A53 1.8ghz 64 bit quad core (Should be same design minus 2 cores)
512>1024mb System RAM
Radio SoC A7 Processor speed 800mhz >1.5ghz (according to marketing material from a different company)
Both do 160mhz (Granted PHY rates with AX + AX client is going to be a lot more consistent at distance, and the AX86u should do full 4x4 160mhz while the 160mhz is limited to 2x2 on the GT-AC2900)
Both have link aggregation.

Anyway.. I have the GT-AC2900. Does 480mbps (ISP wall limited) at over 30 feet on higher channels as the lower blocks are crowded. Pretty sure I can push much higher if I had a GIG connection. Some users report around 600mbps + at 30 feet on AC86U.

Appreciate that. Yeah I've been debating, I just upgraded to giganet and we run around 15 devices. I could see the extra processing power being useful. I got my 2900 for 180, so f I can get the 86u for around 280 I think I will. I have an XR 500nright now but its been temperamental.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!