What's new

RT-AX86U/RT-AX5700 hits the FCC

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Wooo, after long day at work, now time to play with new toy!

ZmXLcqa.jpg

I'm going to wait for Wifi 6e routers (but the AX86u is tempting, although i don't have any Wifi 6 devices so i wont really take any advantage in speed over my AC86u)
It does look tempting...but I need RMerlin fws on my main router. Can't function without it, especially since I'm now running cake-qos with my RT-AX88U and my disappointing comcast speeds don't help lol. Cake makes the difference...can't beat that.

It does look tempting...but I need RMerlin fws on my main router. Can't function without it, especially since I'm now running cake-qos with my RT-AX88U and my disappointing comcast speeds don't help lol. Cake makes the difference...can't beat that.
what is cake

im the same expect im going for wifi6 instead of E, and then in about 4 years till ill jump straight to WiFi 7

I had RT-AC86U routers before and this is what I found on Dong's website:

"What’s most interesting is the RT-AC86U can be restored with a backup file of any other Asus routers, going back as far as the RT-N66U. As a result, if you’re using an older Asus router, you can just backup the setting of that router, then upload it to the RT-AC86U during the initial setup wizard."

This guy has no idea... fake news. :D
Better wait for RT-AX86U reviews from people who really know things.
Can you explain why that's fake news? The backup and restore between Asus routers actually works. I've tried that MANY times. In fact that's one of the reasons I've used Asus almost exclusively for myself and my clients.

Can you explain why that's fake news? The backup and restore between Asus routers actually works. I've tried that MANY times. In fact that's one of the reasons I've used Asus almost exclusively for myself and my clients.
Many it works but its probably not best practice tbh, its probably likely due to unwanted bugs that may pop up here there. Its always best to just have a fresh restore

Many it works but its probably not best practice tbh, its probably likely due to unwanted bugs that may pop up here there. Its always best to just have a fresh restore

You're probably right that fresh is good and Dong does say that in many of his posts. But bugs are just bugs. You have them even when you get a new router and set it up from scratch. Also, in my experience, I've upgraded a couple of Asus routers, from the RT-AC68U -> RT-AC88U -> RT-AX88U, for a small office with lots of settings and that worked perfectly. I'd recommend you try it, too. It saves a lot of time. Anyhow, just wanted to point out that you're incorrect in calling that fake news.

You're probably right that fresh is good and Dong does say that in many of his posts. But bugs are just bugs. You have them even when you get a new router and set it up from scratch. Also, in my experience, I've upgraded a couple of Asus routers, from the RT-AC68U -> RT-AC88U -> RT-AX88U, for a small office with lots of settings and that worked perfectly. I'd recommend you try it, too. It saves a lot of time. Anyhow, just wanted to point out that you're incorrect in calling that fake news.
Thats fair enough, if it works it works. Personally i dont need to do that as i barely change or configure any settings (no need to) when i get a new router, so i just do it from fresh. Also it was the other guy that called it fake news. not me ;). Another reason I prefer a fresh start is because if later down the road, an issue pops up, ill know its not due to a restored config.

Thats fair enough, if it works it works. Personally i dont need to do that as i barely change or configure any settings (no need to) when i get a new router, so i just do it from fresh. Also it was the other guy that called it fake news. not me ;). Another reason I prefer a fresh start is because if later down the road, an issue pops up, ill know its not due to a restored config.
Opps, sorry, I"m a noob on this furom. ;) And yes, I agree, fresh is good, but that's an incrdible option if you have like 20 IP reservation in a network, and a bunch of port-formwarding, just think of the time you save from not having to re-enter those. Anyhow, here's the link from Asus on the matter.
https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1015013/ Note how it doesn't say you can do that on the same router.
BTW, I think Dong's reviews are great. The guy clearly used stuff he wrote about. He's real.

Opps, sorry, I"m a noob on this furom. ;) And yes, I agree, fresh is good, but that's an incrdible option if you have like 20 IP reservation in a network, and a bunch of port-formwarding, just think of the time you save from not having to re-enter those. Anyhow, here's the link from Asus on the matter.
https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1015013/ Note how it doesn't say you can do that on the same router.
BTW, I think Dong's reviews are great. The guy clearly used stuff he wrote about. He's real.
Yeah i understand, if i ever decide to increase my config and then switch routers, ill try that backup and restore option :)

3 hours later and I'm trying to pound the crap outa this router as best I can with the following all happening at the SAME time:

1. Four 4k youtube streams on gaming desktop
2. 4k youtube stream on Note 8 on 5ghz wifi
3. 1080p youtube stream on work Lenovo T460s laptop
3. Downloading over 100gb of games on PS4 over Cat 7e ethernet
4. Downloading GTA5 via Steam which is nearly 90gb
5. Downloading multiple bittorents of various "ahem" sources including 1080p and below content on HTPC on Cat7E, some PG and some NC-17 content
6. Streaming youtube 4k content on Sony 4k TV

Despite the amazingly low CPU load from GUI, I can feel a good amount of heat escaping from the top air vents which means the design is working great at maintaining thermals.

VgzlFKT.jpg

bruVaOW.jpg

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!