What's new

RT-AX86U/RT-AX5700 hits the FCC

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

3 hours later and I'm trying to pound the crap outa this router as best I can with the following all happening at the SAME time:

1. Four 4k youtube streams on gaming desktop
2. 4k youtube stream on Note 8 on 5ghz wifi
3. 1080p youtube stream on work Lenovo T460s laptop
3. Downloading over 100gb of games on PS4 over Cat 7e ethernet
4. Downloading GTA5 via Steam which is nearly 90gb
5. Downloading multiple bittorents of various "ahem" sources including 1080p and below content on HTPC on Cat7E, some PG and some NC-17 content
6. Streaming youtube 4k content on Sony 4k TV

Despite the amazingly low CPU load from GUI, I can feel a good amount of heat escaping from the top air vents which means the design is working great at maintaining thermals.

VgzlFKT.jpg

bruVaOW.jpg
Nice! Did it handle it all nicely?

How much bandwidth are you paying for? I only get 60Mbps and after 2 4K streams i start getting buffer else where lol. I know thats a bandwidth issue and not the routers fault tho

what is cake
Here you go:

Many it works but its probably not best practice tbh, its probably likely due to unwanted bugs that may pop up here there. Its always best to just have a fresh restore
Yes I tried this before coming from a RT-AC86U to a RT-AX88U...no good news there! Somethings within the GUI would work and others didn't, especially if you use the OpenVPN settings.. I had to completely reset the RT-AX88U.

Nice! Did it handle it all nicely?

How much bandwidth are you paying for? I only get 60Mbps and after 2 4K streams i start getting buffer else where lol. I know thats a bandwidth issue and not the routers fault tho

Just wait until Asus releaeses firmware that craps the performance and have to wait months for them to fix it (ala AC86U, LOL)

I had RT-AC86U routers before and this is what I found on Dong's website:

"What’s most interesting is the RT-AC86U can be restored with a backup file of any other Asus routers, going back as far as the RT-N66U. As a result, if you’re using an older Asus router, you can just backup the setting of that router, then upload it to the RT-AC86U during the initial setup wizard."

This guy has no idea... fake news. :D
Better wait for RT-AX86U reviews from people who really know things.

I was able to load the configuration from my rog 2900 to the ax86u and it seems to be working fine. Pretty happy with it so far.

Yes I tried this before coming from a RT-AC86U to a RT-AX88U...no good news there! Somethings within the GUI would work and others didn't, especially if you use the OpenVPN settings.. I had to completely reset the RT-AX88U.

yes exactly so its always best to start fresh

No hiccups
I'm getting 600mbps down and 20mbps from Comcast

Sadly, looks like traffic monitor is broken

What was your previous router, and hows the speed? Throughput? On this router? Most importantly hows the range? Im thinking about buying 2 of these and use aimesh but im unsure if the 2 locations i choose to put them in will have too much overlap if there too powerful.

I have 2 AC68us and there is SOME overlap. Amazon STILL dont have it in stock within the UK sadly

What was your previous router, and hows the speed? Throughput? On this router? Most importantly hows the range?

Actually a AX88U that i've had issues with and also just no longer works for my now "work from home and survive covid19" setup on my desk, it takes up too much damn space. I have no way of testing throughput and I only have a 600 square foot apartment but i'll try to take some speed tests in various locations like I did on ax88u and also monitor signal strength with wifi app

Actually a AX88U that i've had issues with and also just no longer works for my now "work from home and survive covid19" setup on my desk, it takes up too much damn space. I have no way of testing throughput and I only have a 600 square foot apartment but i'll try to take some speed tests in various locations like I did on ax88u and also monitor signal strength with wifi app
Nice thank you, i just ordered mine cant wait!

Ordered one, I am in Canada. Newegg has them in stock. $CAD 329 plus taxes, not cheap but needed a new toy :–)

Firmware update out for US routers, and fixes traffic analyzer

ASUS RT-AX86U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.382.52272
- Fix AiProtection issue.
- Fix 2.5GE stability issue.
- Fix static WAN type issue handling.
- Minor GUI fixes.

bUKQy9N.jpg

Ordered one, I am in Canada. Newegg has them in stock. $CAD 329 plus taxes, not cheap but needed a new toy :–)
That is what CERB is for, after all [/s]
I was looking at the Canada Computers site today (who have limited stock in certain locations, it seems), as well as the Asus site for specs, and I just can't justify upgrading the ac86u:
I'mma wait for a 6E router and better than 50/10 at my house...I might have all ac wireless devices by then, and maybe a couple 2.5G wired ones.
Don't get me wrong - I get a chub from shiny new/faster/more capable electronics too...but my network needs are significantly below what this machine (and generally the AC86's as well) can do.
The only way this router would make any sense whatsoever AFAIC is if ISPs bring 1G+ fibre to every house...or for homes that already have it and the devices to support it. For now, it's ahead of the curve in this neck of the woods

Back in stock at Newegg. Ordered on this afternoon and even with free shipping, should have it Monday!

Just in time too, my AC88u is feeling its age.

That is what CERB is for, after all [/s]
I was looking at the Canada Computers site today (who have limited stock in certain locations, it seems), as well as the Asus site for specs, and I just can't justify upgrading the ac86u:
I'mma wait for a 6E router and better than 50/10 at my house...I might have all ac wireless devices by then, and maybe a couple 2.5G wired ones.
Don't get me wrong - I get a chub from shiny new/faster/more capable electronics too...but my network needs are significantly below what this machine (and generally the AC86's as well) can do.
The only way this router would make any sense whatsoever AFAIC is if ISPs bring 1G+ fibre to every house...or for homes that already have it and the devices to support it. For now, it's ahead of the curve in this neck of the woods
Agree, this was more a want, I am still very happy with RT-AC86U, my backup router in the future. We have 1G Shaw internet here but only one AX client (iPhone)...total of ~35 clients...
I switched to VOIP, no more cable TV....so having a backup router never hurts:)

Last edited:
Agree, this was more a want, I am still very happy with RT-AC86U, my backup router in the future. We have 1G Shaw internet here but only one AX client (iPhone)...total of ~35 clients...
I switched to VOIP, no more cable TV....so having a backup router never hurts:)
what iPhone is 802.11ax capable? I'm looking for an upgrade from your ISP's orange mobile co...(are you planning on bundling when that becomes a thing?)

what iPhone is 802.11ax capable? I'm looking for an upgrade from your ISP's orange mobile co...(are you planning on bundling when that becomes a thing?)
iPhone 11 is Wi-Fi 6 (AX) but to be truthful, does it even matter?
We don't use iPhone to stream 4K movies or anything like it so to us it doesn't matter. I read Wi-Fi 6 helps preserve battery life so who knows....

I will do a reset though and see if that changes anything..
When I receive mine on Monday I will for sure set up from new, one time and then never ever, so far the theory :cool:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!