What's new

RT-AX86U/RT-AX5700 hits the FCC

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I’ve had my eye on the AX86 the day it was announced. But like I said in an earlier post I might as well wait for 6E before I fork over a bunch of cash. It’s going to be here by the end of the year and I get it there won’t be a lot if any devices that can utilize its full potential yet. But pushing 6E so quickly on the market ultimately killed the WIFI 6 wave for routers in my opinion. Sorry I meant to quote gfondeur

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Question. 2.5G port. I want to use it to speed up my NAS in the future beyond ~ 112Mb/s what would be 1G Ethernet....
So I would need to get a NAS with a 2.5G/10G port and then connect the NAS to the routers 2.5G port, but then how do I connect the PC and I would also need to upgrade the PC Ethernet card???
I would need to get a hub?

bD_RvBvEdZ-oPLwiOMxA4jjfaR-7-0k_1YgCZ6WAt5RbgRIIyQKQXIesdYbnvAc-LbOKRCg6S0GOwKzlV-UAhH-tgrVdRYF7MG82H1GgR0Ajskz9mxJKioGx2Qj4gUhZY4NZd16-jRMCfsgTZXbCEE0WWFBY-8wDGOat4uHZJT6TbytAHMVANFjDSv8DjJ7MKe_0gr8KXd3Qk6OxT3rt2f8Uxy1zq6kE_PjMNQ1X1GhU9wDZ90DmCLIrIWrVs_fayRPvOMVpJ0a_JyQkyzCk2OvdShXRn-XvsB1sXaB3EFOceTUge6uiYf90vs_jmiKsZf1ORanYWEMv3FQtlJ1jRCoZu_aKLUKAhXFvFVWoCbR8-ZY-0BwaJLLUdSvS68dcAVz-hAkGaPaByKSi985SojO2uDUkq990mEXdMEFqN09FOnK2Ds_XCv_sz4BQW9E5jaYTilXYVJ_MtiVg2sCOI14kt5qKLVyMe7hyJfNGYi_JBdyLcQVASrSXw68VWs702jX9wgknevXJAewDyIgPVSqQkpd8-HzglqekAlv88yL2z7RG4k0sXX8mWg7OC6HhdcIc1RWzkOUeFYBGt5EcRxT-NhgXw4cZ-QNdJ_1oxyuP7Sln6OLgJkcvK8geYTQySDEjsBWpVHRJIwnWXVL0ZnpSHYhFvHjcw6rj_dQ7PNCARTxxPlb8QtJbM7xu8gI=w980-h633-no

Everything you want running at 2.5 Gbps will need to be 2.5 Gbps capable. That means the NAS, the switch, and the PC's Ethernet interface as well.

Everything you want running at 2.5 Gbps will need to be 2.5 Gbps capable. That means the NAS, the switch, and the PC's Ethernet interface as well.

What Merlin said. I just went through this exercise. The current best deal on a 2.5G-capable switch is the Netgear MS510TX. Unfortunately, even those are mildly spendy at $240. I got lucky and got mine on Amazon warehouse for $110. If you have an ethernet'ed computer that you want a full network speed, then you'll need a 2.5G PCI card or USB3-to-2.5G adapter.

What Merlin said. I just went through this exercise. The current best deal on a 2.5G-capable switch is the Netgear MS510TX. Unfortunately, even those are mildly spendy at $240. I got lucky and got mine on Amazon warehouse for $110. If you have an ethernet'ed computer that you want a full network speed, then you'll need a 2.5G PCI card or USB3-to-2.5G adapter.

The GS110MX has dropped in price recently on Amazon Canada. Still a bit pricey, but at least things are going in the right direction.

What I don't understand. Lets say I add a 2.5Gbps PCIe NIC card in my PC, the other card for 1Gbps Ethernet and my other switches, I have 3-4 in the house would remain, right?

So I have a router with 2.5Gbps port, a PC with 2.5Gbps network adapter and a NAS with 2.5Gbps interface, eyerything plugs into the GS110MX switch via CAT6 cables and I would not see a difference when working with my files on the PC? Its not that I would need to create a new network, would I? Sorry for stupid questions.

There has to be a pure 2.5G path between any two devices that you want to communicate with each other at 2.5G speeds, so the 2.5G switch should serve as your network hub. Assuming that you have only one 2.5G switch, then AX86U, your 2.5G computer, and your NAS will need to plug directly into the 2.5G switch. Non-2.5G devices can also be plugged into the 2.5G switch. The switch will adjust its communication speed of any ports that have 1G devices connecting to it.

Last edited:
A switch won't segment your network, it will only extend it by providing you more (and faster) ports. Anything plugged on the switch and on the router will talk together, along the switch and the routers are also connected together (which is what the 2.5 Gbps port on the router will be used for).

A switch won't segment your network, it will only extend it by providing you more (and faster) ports. Anything plugged on the switch and on the router will talk together, along the switch and the routers are also connected together (which is what the 2.5 Gbps port on the router will be used for).

Got it now, adding the 2.5 Gbps infrastructure won't "complicate" things in terms of complexity from a user perspective, I like that!
Since I am planning on adding a Synology NAS next year (currently on 12TB WD Mycloud EX2 Ultra) I'll look for one with 2.5 Gbps port and then the switch and network card for the PC.

You sure that isn't the "sale" price? I see MSRP 1999 yuan everywhere on chinese sites or the equivalent to $280 USD.
MSRP may be 1999 RMB but who cares? The actual street price is 1599 RMB almost everywhere. You can even get it for 1399 RMB (~196 USD) from some sellers.

Last edited:
MSRP may be 1999 RMB but who cares? The actual street price is 1599 RMB almost everywhere. You can even get it for 1399 RMB (~196 USD) from some sellers.
It matters because stuff doesn't drop below MSRP in the USA (example) for at least 2-3 months past release date. It isn't like china where they start off with heavily discounted sales.

So yes, I care. Does it matter over time? No... But due to the pandemic, the AX88U for example (closely spec'd) has been OOS at FULL $350 MSRP. Claiming the AX86U is going to sell for around $226 out of the gate is kinda misleading.

I can make the same argument you're making for the TUF-GAMING AX-3000 router. It has a list price of $180, but its selling everywhere for well under $120-130 in china. The RT-AX58U/AX-3000 (USA versions) with a worse hardware variation (doesn't have dedicated 2.4g amplifiers/reinforced RJ45 jacks) has never gone under $160 USD (while selling out) on sale after 6+ months.

Last edited:
Wondering if the RT-AX86U/RT-AX5700 will be available in Canada at Amazon or Best Buy ready for 2020 Christmas shopping?

If it is, it will likely be with a slightly changed name so no price-matching is possible. :)

Wondering if the RT-AX86U/RT-AX5700 will be available in Canada at Amazon or Best Buy ready for 2020 Christmas shopping?

Thought I read 6E would be out around Christmas. If that’s the case the AX86 is dead in the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!