What's new

RT-AX86U/RT-AX5700 hits the FCC

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Without going into too much details (as I don't know if Asus were ready to have that info published when it was included in a recent GPL release), the first Wifi 6E model will be tri-band. Which is probably what most manufacturers are going to do at least at first, so they can devote a band to 6 GHz.

Without going into too much details (as I don't know if Asus were ready to have that info published when it was included in a recent GPL release), the first Wifi 6E model will be tri-band. Which is probably what most manufacturers are going to do at least at first, so they can devote a band to 6 GHz.

Any ETA for merlin firmware for the AX86U?

All credit goes to Remode from whirlpool forums:

ASUS RT-AX86U Wireless AX5700 Router is being released mid July for $479 and a 3 year warranty.

Specs..

• 1.8 GHz quad-core Arm processor
  • 256 MB Flash and 1 GB RAM
  • Dual WAN ports – 2.5G and 1G
  • 4x Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports
  • 2x USB 3.2 Gen 1 ports
  • Wifi 6
  • 4 antennas (3 external and 1 internal)
  • WPA3 wifi encryption
  • ASUS AiMesh support
https://www.asus.com/Networking/RT-AX86U/

@RMerlin ...I apologize if you don't know the answer to this but what are the chances you'll support the AX86U in the future? I know you have alot on your plate and it seems the 'AX' stock firmware releases are all over the place right now...but I'm really considering into buying this when it releases, but if you won't support than I'll just stay with my RT-AC86U. Thanks ...and I really appreciate everything you do! Please don't take this the wrong way when asking this! I only use your fws on all my asus routers!

Last edited:
I apologize if you don't know the answer to this but what are the chances you'll support the AX86U in the future?

I can't speculate about future model support.

Kingp1n thanks for the info on the AX86U. $479 is insane. I’ll pass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That site is Australian, so that's $479 AUD or about $330 USD, although local pricing may not necessarily match direct currency exchange rates.

That site is Australian, so that's $479 AUD or about $330 USD, although local pricing may not necessarily match direct currency exchange rates.

US Prices are typically fairly even with chinese MSRP for new releases. The AX86U launched for 1999 yuan there. Basically equal to 280~ usd. Which makes the most sense comparatively per spec and product line up.

Edit: Asus still has to release the AX82U (AX58U with full 4x4:4 radio enabled) as well..

AX58U = $180 USD (2x2:2 + 2x4:4) triple core BCM6750 A7 SoC + 512MB ram
AX82U = $220? USD (2x2:2 + 4x4:4) triple core BCM6750 A7 SoC + ? ram
AX86U = $280? USD (3x3:3 + 4x4:4) quad core BCM4908 A53 +1GB ram
AX88U = $350 USD (4x4:4 + 4x4:4) quad core BCM4908 A53 +1GB ram

Last edited:
Question. The antennas, 3x3, does that necessarily mean the AX86U has worse coverage on 2.4GHz over the 2 year old AX88U with 4x4:4?

Question. The antennas, 3x3, does that necessarily mean the AX86U has worse coverage on 2.4GHz over the 2 year old AX88U with 4x4:4?

Yes. The antennas themselves are also larger on the 88u.

4x4 (or greater) MIMO usually helps with overall range regardless of your clients being limited a mere 2x2.

Yes. The antennas themselves are also larger on the 88u.

4x4 (or greater) MIMO usually helps with overall range regardless of your clients being limited a mere 2x2.

Interesting.
Why would one buy the AX86U then over the 88U? Hmm.
I am not that set on 2.5Gb LAN ports....I want at least 2x 10Gb ports on the router...
The more I look at this the more I think I am just fine with my RT-AC86U :)

Price.. though it looks like it might cost more (likely $300 USD) considering ASUS went all out on the AX82U with RGB bling.

I recently bought a GT-AC2900 which is a re-branded AC86U with more features (160mhz/link aggregation) and newer AX86U antenna design. It's the best router I've used in terms of speed/range/performance after trying many different designs in my price range (under $200 USD).

The XR450 (Rebranded R7800) is also a good product, though the GUI is slow, outdated and complete crap relative to the ASUS. NETGEAR support is also non existent if you ask them something beyond their pay grade.

Interesting.
Why would one buy the AX86U then over the 88U? Hmm.
I am not that set on 2.5Gb LAN ports....I want at least 2x 10Gb ports on the router...
The more I look at this the more I think I am just fine with my RT-AC86U :)

The problem with the AX88U is that its stuck at 1 Gbe. If it had a 2.5 GBe I would definitely give it serious consideration, but as it stands, the AX86U with 2.5 Gbe at a lower sale price than the AX88U is a clear winner, especially since consumer level wifi routers with 10 Gbe cost at least $400. But if someone has no need for more than 1 Gbe, then perhaps the AX88U makes sense.

I wonder if the special COVID19 prices are going to hold? I know there was a shortage, but until a few months ago the AX88 was $280 with a low (that I recall) of $245.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!