What's new

Beta RT-AX86U_Pro Beta firmware 9.0.0.6.102_3506

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Feels like you ended up with double the work if 3.0.0.6 requires another significant effort to merge compared to 3.0.0.4.388.
Until I see actual code and I learn more about Asus' plans for 3.0.0.6, it's hard to tell. But my guts tell me this is probably going to be the most complicated merge I have done since the addition of HND devices with 380. I might need to revise my entire workflow and see with Asus how best to deal with this.

Until I see actual code and I learn more about Asus' plans for 3.0.0.6, it's hard to tell. But my guts tell me this is probably going to be the most complicated merge I have done since the addition of HND devices with 380. I might need to revise my entire workflow and see with Asus how best to deal with this.

Your efforts are greatly appreciated!

This seems to have gone under the radar...

Code:
ASUS RT-AX86U Pro Firmware version 9.0.0.6.102.3506
Version 9.0.0.6.102.3506 Beta Version 54.47 MB
Be noted: This is an early stage beta, there might be bugs. This version can be downgraded via web GUI only.

New Features:
1. Add Guest Network Pro:
• Kids WiFi: Create a network for kids that blocks access to adult content and has a schedule to control when the network is available.
• VPN WiFi: Create a VPN network that connects to 3rd party VPN services or with ASUS site to site VPN(https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1048281/) to encrypts your internet connection and hides your IP address to protect your online activities from being tracked or monitored.
• IoT WiFi : Create an IoT (Internet of Things) network that blocks malicious traffic* and only allows 2.4GHz devices to connect.
• Guest WiFi: Create a guest network with a WiFi schedule and access rights to control when and how guests can use the network.
2. Add VLAN in LAN settings.
3. Add Auto USB WAN backup, while primary WAN is down, plug USB phone/dongle will auto enable backup internet, no setup is required.
4. Add iPhone USB tethering. (Please make sure hotspot on iPhone is enabled).
5. Add Multi-services WAN, create multiple profiles on a single WAN interface.

View attachment 46790

View attachment 46791

View attachment 46792

View attachment 46793
Hopefully you can port some of these features over to your batch.

Why would you downgrade? The GT-AX6000 has higher specs than the RT-AX86U_Pro.
I bought the GT-AX6000 as a replacement for the “semi EOL” AC86U, to continue running the latest & greatest (firmware).

Would be a real bummer if the GT-AX6000 already would stop receiving the latest or greatest.

@XIII, don't make premature assumptions so quickly. Early days yet, early days!

@XIII, don't make premature assumptions so quickly. Early days yet, early days!
That's why it would be great if we have confirmation either way before the end of January...

(GT-AX6000 getting 3.0.0.6 or not getting it because no "Pro" label)

Hard to imagine the GT-AX6000 not getting 3.0.0.6. That router is one of the newest in the line-up. But I suppose the notion you are suggesting is that ASUS will start selling a Pro line of routers that will have a different firmware than non-Pro. Are there other companies taking this approach?

With Asus' history of long support for even ancient models, I doubt the GT-6000 will be neglected for long (regarding 3.0.0.6 level firmware).

Today, there is nothing that is superior. Not even the 'pro' models so far (and not even with the exclusive, for now, features).

Even if January 2023 comes and goes, I have enough faith in Asus that it will include all/most current AX models in the 3.0.0.6 level firmware releases.

And even if it doesn't, there is no point speculating what may be better than the GT-AX6000 in the new year. Until a new model shows up, is widely available, and is tested and proven in our real world environments to be so.

Reactions: jsz
It won't affect QoS, but if RPS works in situation where Flow Cache is turned off due to WireGuard, it may help to use gigabit internet.
Asus manually assigns IRQs at boot time, so I suspect RPS might not make a big difference there.

Anyway the FC related issues should be fixed by now.

GT-AX6000 Pre(school)

1672715026957.png

GT-AX6000 Pro(fessional)

1672715459447.png

Asus manually assigns IRQs at boot time, so I suspect RPS might not make a big difference there.
It would be nice if all cores could be used for software nat. Using a single core is inefficient.
In terms of openwrt.. even the cheap MT7621 easily achieves 500mbps nat throughput.

And how long will Broadcom stay at B53? Qualcomm moved to A73 for WIFI7. It is expected to show twice single-threaded performance of the B53. The era of big core is back again.

Anyway the FC related issues should be fixed by now.
Now wireguard doesn't turn off flow cache?
If so, great.

I can return my GT-AX6000 until the end of January.

I’m wondering whether I should go for the AX86U Pro after all…

Edit: huh, the AX86U Pro costs €40 more than I paid for the GT-AX6000?!
Doesn't GT-AX6000 have latest BCM4912 which is there in RT-AX86U Pro as well?

I hope to see this new firmware available for all AX models. RT-AC68U might finally get dropped and reach it's EOL.

I bought the GT-AX6000 as a replacement for the “semi EOL” AC86U, to continue running the latest & greatest (firmware).

Would be a real bummer if the GT-AX6000 already would stop receiving the latest or greatest.

Theres no way ASUS stifles support on a new BCM platform for a PRO moniker. That doesn't make sense in my head.

Hell, the original AX88U was launched in 2018 and still gets updated fairly often.

It would be nice if all cores could be used for software nat. Using a single core is inefficient.
In terms of openwrt.. even the cheap MT7621 easily achieves 500mbps nat throughput.

And how long will Broadcom stay at B53? Qualcomm moved to A73 for WIFI7. It is expected to show twice single-threaded performance of the B53. The era of big core is back again.

Now wireguard doesn't turn off flow cache?
If so, great.

Broadcom seems to keep their "high end" platforms for 2 generations.

A53 4906 and then 4908 were launched with ACW2 and is/was supported with Gen 1 AX.
A53 4912/4916 is launched with Gen 2 4x4 6715 and Newer 675X SoCs.

Marketing docs indicate 4912/4916 will support early WIFI7 Hardware, though theres competition in this area as even MediaTek offers A73 via filogic 880

4x5 MIMO on 6G is interesting.

Theres no way ASUS stifles support on a new BCM platform for a PRO moniker. That doesn't make sense in my head.

Hell, the original AX88U was launched in 2018 and still gets updated fairly often.

Broadcom seems to keep their "high end" platforms for 2 generations.

A53 4906 and then 4908 were launched with ACW2 and is/was supported with Gen 1 AX.
A53 4912/4916 is launched with Gen 2 4x4 6715 and Newer 675X SoCs.

Marketing docs indicate 4912/4916 will support early WIFI7 Hardware, though theres competition in this area as even MediaTek offers A73 via filogic 880

4x5 MIMO on 6G is interesting.
Thought there will be a new updated release (v3/4) of the AX88U in end 2022 / beginning of 2023 as mentioned ?

RT-AX88U is now 4-5 years old. It still is a top notch router and I have been using 3 since early 2019 in mesh mode and appeared to be fairly stable.
I hope Asus updates it to 9.0.0.6 beta firmware with eventual 3.0.0.6.390 firmware.

I will absolutely not upgrade to Wifi 6e routers which are about to get outdated or redundant with Wifi7 routers on horizon.

Hope companies like Asus will not fall into trap of pricing Wifi 7 routers out of market with ridiculous $800+ prices. If these companies are getting greedy and pricing Wifi 7 routers as such, customers will really vote with their wallets as it is happening to PC industry and graphics cards the world over.

We need $200 Wifi 7 routers for companies to see mass adoption of new standards.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!