What's new

Beta RT-AX86U_Pro Beta firmware 9.0.0.6.102_3506

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hope companies like Asus will not fall into trap of pricing Wifi 7 routers out of market with ridiculous $800+ prices. If these companies are getting greedy and pricing Wifi 7 routers as such, customers will really vote with their wallets as it is happening to PC industry and graphics cards the world over.

We need $200 Wifi 7 routers for companies to see mass adoption of new standards.

I agree, but it's going to be diminishing returns for a lot of users. 4x4 ACW2 is still valid over entry 2x2 AX solutions.. At least subjectively for me.

As with other tech industries, stuff doesn't get straight up replaced anymore, but rather moved down to an entry tier with premium/newer hardware costing more.

IF TPLINK PR on WIFI7 is any indication, expect $600+ USD for first to market products.

I mean hell.. most clients are still AC/N due to pricing... Why would a company spend "X" money sourcing a good 2x2 AX client module when the last gen AC stuff can be purchased for half the cost and meet objective goals for said product. We can simply look at IoT products and the lack of AX.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought the GT-AX6000 as a replacement for the “semi EOL” AC86U, to continue running the latest & greatest (firmware).

Would be a real bummer if the GT-AX6000 already would stop receiving the latest or greatest.
This might be good news?

I have never tried AiMesh before, but I might at some point.

Do all routers in the mesh need to run the *.0.0.6 firmware to use this new functionality? Or only the main router?

I have never tried AiMesh before, but I might at some point.

Do all routers in the mesh need to run the *.0.0.6 firmware to use this new functionality? Or only the main router?

Can you wire backhaul? I don't recommend using as a "hopping" node personally. Would rather media bridge if you need desktop PC's across a house to function at full speed.

Can you wire backhaul?
It depends:
  • Currently I have the main (single) router at the middle of 3 floors, but I could put that on the ground floor and add a node on the middle floor (wired).
  • The other way around (main router remaining on the middle floor, node on the ground floor) can only be achieved wireless right now.

I agree, but it's going to be diminishing returns for a lot of users. 4x4 ACW2 is still valid over entry 2x2 AX solutions.. At least subjectively for me.

As with other tech industries, stuff doesn't get straight up replaced anymore, but rather moved down to an entry tier with premium/newer hardware costing more.

IF TPLINK PR on WIFI7 is any indication, expect $600+ USD for first to market products.

I mean hell.. most clients are still AC/N due to pricing... Why would a company spend "X" money sourcing a good 2x2 AX client module when the last gen AC stuff can be purchased for half the cost and meet objective goals for said product. We can simply look at IoT products and the lack of AX.
The problem is newer devices like iPad Pro 2022 models have skipped 160 Mhz channel width on 5Ghz. So Wifi 6e router with 6Ghz is really needed to get 2400 Mbps link rates.
So my RT-AX88U is redundant with no phone or device apart from Intel AX200 capable of utilizing 160 Mhz width over 5Ghz. Almost every 6e capable phone has skipped this and makes my blood boil !!

These a$$***e companies don't move down any products any more. They keep prices same and launch new tech at higher prices. That is the reason we find ourselves into recession economy. I checked price of Asus RT-AX88U in my country and it is selling at slightly higher price today on amazon than it did 4 years back.

The problem is newer devices like iPad Pro 2022 models have skipped 160 Mhz channel width on 5Ghz. So Wifi 6e router with 6Ghz is really needed to get 2400 Mbps link rates.
So my RT-AX88U is redundant with no phone or device apart from Intel AX200 capable of utilizing 160 Mhz width over 5Ghz. Almost every 6e capable phone has skipped this and makes my blood boil !!

These a$$***e companies don't move down any products any more. They keep prices same and launch new tech at higher prices. That is the reason we find ourselves into recession economy. I checked price of Asus RT-AX88U in my country and it is selling at slightly higher price today on amazon than it did 4 years back.
I think 80mhz is completely fine for mobile devices. 160mhz will rape battery life. Lack of support is likely intentional.

Intel AX2XX/4XX are the only "real world" 160mhz clients. Yes some phones support it, but it seems kinda useless to me. Not sure why anyone would need gig speeds on a phone, but I digress.

Unless power consumption is optimized, I don't think 160mhz/320mhz setting on future devices will be optimal. There might even be diminishing returns and a trade off between adding higher MIMO such as 3x3 or 4x4 via 80mhz on the client end. My2c.

It depends:
  • Currently I have the main (single) router at the middle of 3 floors, but I could put that on the ground floor and add a node on the middle floor (wired).
  • The other way around (main router remaining on the middle floor, node on the ground floor) can only be achieved wireless right now.
The first option may work, but it really depends if you need max speed up stairs. I guess you can estimate based off current router where it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
@RMerlin does the aimesh nodes require direct support for this? I have 1 ax11000 as main router and 7 ax92u nodes and I'm hoping this comes to the ax11000 and have this functionality available on my nodes...

The new guest network pro implementation being propagated to the nodes.
I would expect nodes will need to also be running the same firmware version, as they would need to be able to have support for these VLANs.

I haven't looked into it, but I suspect it involves VLANs.

There is a major overhaul of networking in 3.0.0.6, as Asus implemented SDN, and are using it for Guest Networks, VLAN definitions and WAN service definitions. I'm not sure if the design will stay the same in the long run, I suspect the current WAN implementation might be unintuitive for novice home users. I assume once it goes into wider public testing, end users will be able to provide feedback on whether they find the new design intuitive to use or not.

Will the AX86U PRO firmware features like VLAN will also be available on AX86U as is same hardware?

Will the AX86U PRO firmware features like VLAN will also be available on AX86U as is same hardware?
Highly unlikely, as 3.0.0.6 won't be available for the RT-AX86U.

They are both different hardware (bcm4908 vs bcm4912), and different software SDK (Broadcom HND 5.02 vs HND 5.04).

does the beta 9.0 firmware allow you to create a Guest wifi and block them from intranet access and force that Guest network to use VPN only. like the VPN director. Thanks.

does the beta 9.0 firmware allow you to create a Guest wifi and block them from intranet access and force that Guest network to use VPN only. like the VPN director. Thanks.
Yes it does. You can actually create a network specifically for VPN access only.

Yes it does. You can actually create a network specifically for VPN access only.

does it have vpn director like functions too? To force vpn connections for some of the device only and setup multiple vpn.

Theres no way ASUS stifles support on a new BCM platform for a PRO moniker. That doesn't make sense in my head.

Hell, the original AX88U was launched in 2018 and still gets updated fairly often.

Broadcom seems to keep their "high end" platforms for 2 generations.

A53 4906 and then 4908 were launched with ACW2 and is/was supported with Gen 1 AX.
A53 4912/4916 is launched with Gen 2 4x4 6715 and Newer 675X SoCs.

Marketing docs indicate 4912/4916 will support early WIFI7 Hardware, though theres competition in this area as even MediaTek offers A73 via filogic 880

4x5 MIMO on 6G is interesting.

GT-AX6000 got the same beta. IPhone tether support makes me jealous... :(

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!