What's new

RT-AX88U as reliable as RT-AC68U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kanji-San

Regular Contributor
My RT-AC68U (with Merlin) has been incredibly stable and reliable for the past three or four years :)
For the upcoming switch to gigabit service, I am looking to upgrade to the RT-AX88U which seems very capable and also supporting the next-gen WiFi standard. I have been trying to get a feeling of how reliable the RT-AX88U (hardware and firmware/Merlin) is reading posts here and elsewhere. Not getting a clear message.

How has your experience been in regards to reliability? How stable is AiMesh?

I had one of these for a while, but I found the 2.4GHz Wi-Fi band to be somewhat weak (others have mentioned this too). I sent it back and now have an RT-AC86U, which is perfectly adequate for my situation and looks pretty impressive on top of my wall unit in the lounge.

I had issues with earlier firmwares, lost internet connection. Does not happen anymore. I had rt-ac68u before. This one has better wifi range and better speed. So I think it's for sure better. Works as it should.

I am very happy also with my AX88U already for more than a year. I have experienced some problems in the past, fixed in various firmware editions, but all in all I think it is a very robust and capable router.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the feedback. I justed ordered the RT-AX88U from Newegg which is currently on sale for $280.

for me, these x88 devices have been extremely stable as of late - running the second alpha 384.19_alpha1-g2546f95291 from the july 5 build.... just my experience - ymmv...